Thread: E92 pcm single use?? Cannot change vin or os, on used pcm?

Advanced Tuner

E92 pcm single use?? Cannot change vin or os, on used pcm?

Tried flashing a couple different os into a e92 using gm sps, fails at 99%, won't write the new vin perminately? Looking at the raw binary for a e92, the vin is stored twice in the ecu flash! Looks like the tune wrote ok, even with the error messages. But the vin won't change. No error codes? Idk if the engine will run? Prob will but certainly won't work in a factory setup were you need vins to match. If I flash it to the vin that the controller came out of it goes to 100%, and no errors.

Looks like gm just killed the used pcm market!!! This is a 2016 e92 for reference, not sure if all e92s do this?

That has been my findings as well. Only thing I have not tried is to program a used ECM, in an applicable vehicle. Say take a used 2016 Silverado ECM, and program it in a 2016 Camaro for example, and not on the bench.
    The good news is, HP Tuners will allow a VIN and OS mismatch, so as long as the VIN is the only part not written, you can license and tune the file.
    www.crawford-racing.com
    Home of the original and best selling CR-Fueler plug and play port injection controller kits for all GM Gen V direct injection platforms.

Advanced Tuner
    I haven't tried that either as I don't have that year bcm, I have a 2009 bcm. And the vin in that bcm was incorrect. It would be interesting if sps would poll the right bcm for the vin and then update the pcm. Is there a way to blank a pcm? Say interrupt the flash?

My trouble is using gds2 to diagnose it uses the vin so pulling the incorrect vin gives me false diagnoses.

I have a bench setup with a BCM and all other modules except HMI. It still would not write that VIN on the bench.
    www.crawford-racing.com
    Home of the original and best selling CR-Fueler plug and play port injection controller kits for all GM Gen V direct injection platforms.

I think some models started using the E92 in 2014 and others in 2015. I think that we started to get the VIN write issues on some 2016s then all 2017s. I think it is the E92A or something like that. Maybe I am off on that. Most 2017s can no longer reflash any of the other modules to another VIN if they already have the newest updates. I have gotten away with some cases where they were made in late 2016 and updates were available though..... It is getting interesting. Unless somebody knows another way, you can no longer SPS flash a used BCM, TCM, TCCM, Radio, EBCM, Instrument cluster, etc, etc from another car unless it does not have the latest update....

2014 E92's are the same way. I have never been able to flash a used BCM on anything from about 2010 on up.
    www.crawford-racing.com

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by IARLLC View Post
    I think some models started using the E92 in 2014 and others in 2015. I think that we started to get the VIN write issues on some 2016s then all 2017s. I think it is the E92A or something like that. Maybe I am off on that. Most 2017s can no longer reflash any of the other modules to another VIN if they already have the newest updates. I have gotten away with some cases where they were made in late 2016 and updates were available though..... It is getting interesting. Unless somebody knows another way, you can no longer SPS flash a used BCM, TCM, TCCM, Radio, EBCM, Instrument cluster, etc, etc from another car unless it does not have the latest update....
    Sorry I'm 2 years late to the party fellas lol...

I also have a Bench setup and have been experimenting with the MEC counter. I have succesfully used CAN command $3B to set the MEC to 254($FE) which keeps the module unlocked and writing $FF(255) permanently unlocks the BCM. tried the ECM and I keep getting a 31 error or 'Out of Range' after unlocking the module with service $27. I believe if I can get the MEC counter to 254 or 255 more can be done as far as VIN changing. Although, if the ECM is anything like the HMI modules, once the MEC reaches '0' you cant use $3B service to write a new value for the MEC, although if its a brand new one it usuallt shows the MEC as 254, if you change it to 255 it will stay permanently unlocked, then use $3B service along with DID $90 for manual VIN writing to the ECM. The MEC automatically counts down to zero in reference to key cycles.
    I also use GM DPS to write to the ECM pretty much any calibration, plus I can mix things around like operating systems.
    Last edited by e4life; 03-23-2021 at 11:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by e4life View Post
    Sorry I'm 2 years late to the party fellas lol...

I also have a Bench setup and have been experimenting with the MEC counter. I have succesfully used CAN command $3B to set the MEC to 254($FE) which keeps the module unlocked and writing $FF(255) permanently unlocks the BCM. tried the ECM and I keep getting a 31 error or 'Out of Range' after unlocking the module with service $27. I believe if I can get the MEC counter to 254 or 255 more can be done as far as VIN changing. Although, if the ECM is anything like the HMI modules, once the MEC reaches '0' you cant use $3B service to write a new value for the MEC, although if its a brand new one it usuallt shows the MEC as 254, if you change it to 255 it will stay permanently unlocked, then use $3B service along with DID $90 for manual VIN writing to the ECM. The MEC automatically counts down to zero in reference to key cycles.
    I also use GM DPS to write to the ECM pretty much any calibration, plus I can mix things around like operating systems.
    Nice info, well done sir!

What is DPS? That's a service I am not familiar with...

Thanks

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by yrkz06 View Post
    Nice info, well done sir!

What is DPS? That's a service I am not familiar with...

Thanks
    It’s GM Developmental Programming Service...basically an offline SPS

Potential Tuner
    hi e4life im jorge from cape verde.

is possible you tell me how can i unlock e78 with dps. i made the file from sps calibration but when i try write give me error seed key. also i try read the ecu with alex flasher but give me the same error..

thnks

jorge costa

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgecostacv View Post
    hi e4life im jorge from cape verde.

is possible you tell me how can i unlock e78 with dps. i made the file from sps calibration but when i try write give me error seed key. also i try read the ecu with alex flasher but give me the same error..

thnks

jorge costa
    ecm archieve file programming was not yet done by DPS