Thread: 2017 6.7 ECM Dead??

Tuner in Training

2017 6.7 ECM Dead??

Been doing some tuning tonight on a 17 F350. Everything was going good until I went to reflash one time and got a Unlicensed Vehicle error. Engine Coolant temp warning, Hill stop assist and wrench warning on the dash. Anyone had any experience with this? Truck is dead, no crank and no communication with ECM through the scan tool.

I haven't run into that problem. Maybe you could bring it back to life with Ford IDS?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by gilgamesh View Post
    I haven't run into that problem. Maybe you could bring it back to life with Ford IDS?
    It is at the dealer now. They could not communicate with it either. I haven't heard anything today but I bet its going to get a new ECM. Its the damnest thing Ive ever seen. I reflashed it probably 4-5 times prior and everything was ok. Shut truck off, edited tune to flash back in and went to turn the key back on to start flash and it threw an error I had never seen before. I figured it was some sort of time out error. So I shut key off, turned it back on and then nothing. Weird.

Rule #1 of Tuning bud: Never turn the key off in the middle of a flash.

We've all made that mistake before... some of us more than once. hahaha

Fords for whatever reason can be especially finicky.

You have to be exceptionally cautious when flashing Fords.

The PCM has been erased, and the reflash was not completed. There isn't ANY data on the PCM.

The PATS system cannot communicate with it, so it throws the vehicle into theft recovery mode.

The PCM needs to be flashed to stock with IDS or FJDS. If you have a J2534 pass through cable like the one from TACTRIX you can use that to recover your PCM with a $50 72 hour licence from motorcraftservice.com.

After the PCM is reflashed, the PATS system needs to be reset. It basically needs to be told that there is a new PCM. It takes 10-12 min just access this screen and an additional 5-6min to complete the reprogramming of the PATS system.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaploww View Post
    Rule #1 of Tuning bud: Never turn the key off in the middle of a flash.

We've all made that mistake before... some of us more than once. hahaha

Fords for whatever reason can be especially finicky.

You have to be exceptionally cautious when flashing Fords.

The PCM has been erased, and the reflash was not completed. There isn't ANY data on the PCM.

The PATS system cannot communicate with it, so it throws the vehicle into theft recovery mode.

The PCM needs to be flashed to stock with IDS or FJDS. If you have a J2534 pass through cable like the one from TACTRIX you can use that to recover your PCM with a $50 72 hour licence from motorcraftservice.com.

After the PCM is reflashed, the PATS system needs to be reset. It basically needs to be told that there is a new PCM. It takes 10-12 min just access this screen and an additional 5-6min to complete the reprogramming of the PATS system.
    The key was not turned off in a flash. Read the post again. The flash failed after I started the flash and threw an error. I dont remember what it said for sure. So I cycled the key again and retried the flash process again and it was dead from there on.
    Last edited by LPD Tuning; 03-12-2018 at 06:05 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by LPD Tuning View Post
    The key was not turned off in a flash. Read the post again. The flash failed after I started the flash and threw an error. I dont remember what it said for sure. So I cycled the key again and retried the flash process again and it was dead from there on.
    You can get someone with an alientech Ktag or Dimsport version of the same tool to recover this most likely if Ford doesnt hook you up. Maybe HPT has one even?

Tuner
    Word on the street is that HPT is supposed to be getting J2534 support for Ford in the future. Fingers Crossed.

Tuner in Training
    this happens to me with all the 2017 6.7 you have to license both PCM and TCM and you will be able to tune the truck without issues. but if you only license the engine this error will come