Thread: ecoboost 2.3L low power stock and tuned,logs,tune dyno graph attached

Tuner in Training

ecoboost 2.3L low power stock and tuned,logs,tune dyno graph attached

Hello everyonetune 3.hptlastruntune.hplori.hptstock.hpltuned 3.hpl
    this is my first mustang eco boost,the only mod is downpipe and exhaust
    i did a baseline run on stock tune and i noticed that there is big throttle closure and it hit limiter during the run and dip afr to 10's,with the tune it wont happen but power level is really low.

dynorunShare_0 (5).png

Tuner in Training
    i also noticed my spark advance is all negative during the whole run,i see -2 degree on 2 cylinders during the run as well,should i increase the borderline knock tables ?

Tuner
    Hey man, I’ve been super busy and haven’t gotten a chance to take a look at these yet. I should be able to take a look at them tomorrow morningish and I’ll see if I can post some tips for you by the afternoon.

Tuner
    It looks like you've gotten more air load going already, so I'm assuming you've had to work through a few limiters so far. Currently you're hitting an exhaust temp protect and then a turbo fmem.

-Exhaust protect: you've already done most of it, but you may have to raise the flange temp inverse to an even higher air load. Since the ecu works off predictions it will start limiting you earlier than you may think. You can also raise the COT stage 1 and 2 temp's a little more. If you're still hitting that exhaust temp limit go into the exhaust temp table ([ECM]44557) and lower some of the values where you're hitting the limit. That's the table where the ECU gets its inferred exhaust temps from, so don't lower the entire thing or you may never get into closed loop fueling, but its the last resort to trick the ecu into thinking the exhaust is cooler.

-Turbo FMEM: My experience with this is kind of similar to the exhaust temp, your airflow limit table needs to be raised higher than you'd think based off the logged parameters. Find the cells where you're hitting and bump them up a little bit at a time until your're out of that turbo fmem. You may also have to raise your outlet pressure a few more in/hg. Have you had the car go into limp mode during a shift by chance? If it still has the 3 bar tip sensor and it hasn't yet it probably will soon.

-Spark Timing: I'm assuming you don't have the beta? Your octane learned value is 0, meaning the ecu won't be adding in any timing for the inferred octane of the fuel you're running. If you look at the stock log you have the knock octane modifier is -1 (meaning the ecu thinks you have 93+ octane fuel in it), you're modified logs show a 0. If you do a write entire it resets the knock octane modifier back to 0 until you drive for a bit. With the beta you can do write calibration and it doesn't reset that value. The tune you have now will add *less* timing as it learns the octane than the stock calibration. The ecu takes the knock octane modifier and multiplies it against the spark knock adjustment ([ECM]38052) table, so -1 * the -3 in your table currently will give you 3* of advance. It looks like even with the air load you're currently running the ecu is trying to add more timing in under WOT, which is part of how it learns the octane you have. If you want to remove that entire function from the ecu you can 0 the spark knock adjustment table and just add it to borderline tables, but it will probably create other head aches for you. Drive for a few miles after a flash and see if your knock octane modifier starts moving towards -1. If it does do a log with it learning the octane and see if that makes your spark values look better.

As for your logging, you are logging a few too many parameters right now. You can see in stuff like your throttle taking multiple frames to update its movements (it moves fast enough that if you're not dropping parameters in frames it will update in every frame). It will also be helpful to log at least one torque value (engine brake torque is a useful one) as well as desired air load from torque. If you are hitting a torque limiter in the transmission (I think you're close if you're not) it won't show under driver demand or torque sources, you'll have to match up the torque value you have vs the limit in the transmission.

Let me know if you run into any more issues.

Tuner in Training
    Hi Puggyberra,
    Thanks a lot for taking care of this,
    i am also having new problem that throttle get closed after couple runs,full closed and boost get limited to 35 kpa~
    i took a log,
    i also need to know how to bump the boost and decrease it there is few parameters but which one is the directly related,is it torque request ? TIP MAX ? Max pressure limit ?
    i tried few settings to help the throttle closure but never tried your recommendation as i wasn't aware of it .
    and i made this adjustment to the file attached based on your recommendation,let me know if i am on right track or not .rev A Test.hptthrottle shut 3.hplthrottle closedB.hpl

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by samtuning View Post
    Hi Puggyberra,
    i am also having new problem that throttle get closed after couple runs,full closed and boost get limited to 35 kpa~
    i took a log,
    i also need to know how to bump the boost and decrease it there is few parameters but which one is the directly related,is it torque request ? TIP MAX ? Max pressure limit ?
    i tried few settings to help the throttle closure but never tried your recommendation as i wasn't aware of it .
    and i made this adjustment to the file attached based on your recommendation,let me know if i am on right track or not .rev A Test.hptthrottle shut 3.hplthrottle closedB.hpl
    you went into overboost protection, it happens when TIP actual goes over 42 psi

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by mJolnir View Post
    you went into overboost protection, it happens when TIP actual goes over 42 psi
    i increased the desired TIP max pressure to 90 inhg which is around 44 psi but i still go to same safe mode ?
    what do you recommend to do ?

Tuner
    I haven't had a chance to look at the logs yet, but real quick there are 2 situations that cause overboost as an error. The first is when you start trying to change how much boost the vehicle is making vs how much it thinks it should make in that situation. If boost is too high for too long the ecu throws an error essentially because it doesn't think it knows how to control boost correctly.

The 42 psi limit mJolnir is referring to is from exceeding the maximum pressure the sensor can read. In your case it's probably a 3 bar sensor, and you are probably getting your tip to very briefly spike above 3 bar (or 90 in/hg). With the second method there is no time requirement to trip, it will go into limp mode if the pressure reading ever gets too high. So far I have not found a magic bullet solution to the overboost from over running the sensors range, I suspect it would involve replacing the sensor. As far as replacing the sensor metroplexes guide goes over it, I believe there are ecoboost strategies that's don't have all those fields populated though, Eric might be able to help more on that front.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by samtuning View Post
    Hi Puggyberra,
    i took a log,
    The good news is you're problem isn't super complex in actuality. You're boost is being limited because your in Turbo FMEM, which is the airflow limit of the turbo (it will also limit air load). With these cars its best not to think in terms of boost but rather air load, as that's the target the ecu will shoot for, where as boost will fluctuate a bit with ambient temperature. The throttle closing is just a function of the ecu hitting a limit and trying to reduce air load, if you tweak the throttle area tables to get it to stay open (or any other method) the ecu will just try to limit load in a different way ie: bleeding boost through the waste gate, or fuel cut as a last resort.

When the car limits boost to the ~4 psi is there a check engine light on? It looks like you're hitting the overboost error from spiking pressure too high. Unfortunately you are logging too many parameters and won't be able to see a boost spike with your current configuration due to how fast they occur. If the CEL is on that will pretty much confirm whats going on though.

Fixing your turbo fmem will require logs with some different stuff logged, as well as having better resolution. You'll need to add turbo estimated MFRACT, and desired air load from torque control. It would be very helpful to log engine brake torque, but you don't need it quite yet. You also need to remove about half the parameters you have so that the ones remaining have a reasonable update rate. Once you get a log with those we need to figure out why your turbo mass flow desired is spiking so bad above 6k rpms in first. More importantly we need to see if your TIP is spiking above the 88.9 you already have logged, if it's hitting anything above ~89.6 you can figure that's whats causing your overboost to be set.