Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PCM with unknown tune, want to overwrite with another Tune

Potential Tuner

PCM with unknown tune, want to overwrite with another Tune

Hi Guys,

I am hoping someone can help me. I have a PCM for my 2012 GT500 with an unknown tune (came with the car) and would like to know if it is possible to install/flash a new tune over the existing tune. The Ford dealer said that they were unable to restore this PCM to stock, so a new PCM was purchased and a stock tune loaded on it to the tune of $1400. I would like to tune my car but don't want to alter the stock PCM. Anyway to restore or load a new tune on the original PCM?

Anyone offer a service to restore the PCM to stock or at least enable an overwrite via a tuner?

Thanks,

Rick

Advanced Tuner
    were are you located? do you know the pcm strayegy or box code?

Advanced Tuner
    I bought a 2014 GT500 with a Lund tune, (didn't come with the tuner) Ford couldn't return it to stock either, since they change the operating system. Lund wanted $150 to return to stock, but a new one wasn't but $250, so I just bought new and have the original just sitting here. If yours is tuned by Lund, he'll return to stock for $150, or that's what he quoted to do mine. Mine is a Copperhead, yours may be a Spanish Oak, could be different though, not sure.

150, screw Lund.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by superman07 View Post
    150, screw Lund.
    No shit. I tune other ecu's, (not cars) and I update my canned tunes for free, and return to stock for free.
    They want to protect their tune, & I understand that, but there's lots better ways.

I would imagine they're coming up with their own system without all the B/S in it, for easier tuning, but not sure.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mstang_man View Post
    were are you located? do you know the pcm strayegy or box code?
    Thanks for the reply Mustang_man. I believe the strategy is YHX0. I am in Georgetown, Texas. Just north of Round Rock/Austin.

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/...ss1nch2mb.jpeg
    Last edited by 5.0rick; 03-11-2018 at 01:37 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Do you have an SCT device i can send a stock file, 2011-2012 GT500?
    Last edited by mstang_man; 03-12-2018 at 12:55 AM.

Well I returned Lund tune back to stock with Ford IDS VCMII more than once already - no matter what kind of locked OS you have it MUST work.

Advanced Tuner
    Correct IDS VCM III or PASS THRU J2534 Device. Either way it can done.
    Last edited by mstang_man; 03-12-2018 at 01:27 PM. Reason: J2534 Device i had J2535

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by veeefour View Post
    Well I returned Lund tune back to stock with Ford IDS VCMII more than once already - no matter what kind of locked OS you have it MUST work.
    Really? My dealer must not know what he's doing then, he tried, was exactly the same, no different, good to know. I need to get someone else to return this PCM I have back to stock.

Advanced Tuner
    MY Shelby is tuned with SCT, I was able to read the current tune in it a compare it with HP Base file, and was able to flash it no problem.. not sure what your dealer issues is, but it definitely be done useless its fried!

Potential Tuner
    Thanks Mustang_man. The car is a 2012 GT500. I don't have an SCT or a pass thru J2534 but I can go get one. What do you suggest? Is that something that you can email me?

Advanced Tuner
    the cheapest would be a SCT device, ford has a list of compatible J2534 boxes, snapon makes 2 of them pass thru pro 2 and 3. ease diagnostics is another, Mongoose cable would be a 3rd option. why can you write it back to stock with HP? you cant put the old computer in the car a flash it with a stock file, it would cost you 2 credits with HP if you have a device. i guess it could also be bench flashed.

see link attached

https://www.motorcraftservice.com/Di...categoryId=247
    Last edited by mstang_man; 03-13-2018 at 03:58 PM. Reason: forgot link address

Advanced Tuner
    i have another option, send the pcm to circuit board medics, they will reflash it. might look into that as option.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks Mustang_man. I wish there was some way of determining what is on the PCM. If I bought an SCT, would I be able to data log to get an idea of how the tune is working? or does the data logging require something specific to the tune? I've seen mention of nGauge devices being setup for specific tunes such as Lund.

Advanced Tuner
    either system will datalog, HP OR SCT do you have a device? do you anyone who could use there device just to see the strategy? HP VCM sweet can tell you the strategy and so can SCT. Nguage is also a flash device and data-logger. the data log dosent require anything specific. just select the PIDS or DMRS you want to log and go from there.

Potential Tuner
    A friend on mine has an SCT x4 that I am going to borrow to datalog. I appreciate all the info. I'll keep you posted once I get the datalog. Cheers.

Advanced Tuner
    You will not be able to tune your car with your buddies X4, but you will be to see vehicle history and datalogg

Potential Tuner
    Do you think I would be able to read my current stock PCM and restore the stock tune onto the PCM with the "tune" with the SCT X4?

Advanced Tuner
    is the PCM the Same Calibration? YHX0
    Take a read with your buddies X4 write down the strategy and post it.