Thread: Pids for OBD-II Datalogging (Android) (2011 BMW 135i)

Potential Tuner

Pids for OBD-II Datalogging (Android) (2011 BMW 135i)

Hi, I am new to the forum. I have been using TrackAddict for a while now to render HPDE and Autocross videos. My problem is, the pids available for logging are lacking. Here is an example of something I rendered recently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNMAzLZm0OM

Other PIDs I'd like to log:
    * Steering Angle
    * Actual Pedal Angle instead of "throttle"
    * Actual brake switch or line pressure instead of this "calculated brake" which appears to be G-force related...
    * Air temp per the outside thermostat instead of the current one being logged which is mounted on the radiator...
    * Oil temp?
    * Oil pressure?
    * ABS cahnnels?
    * Wheel speed channels?

The Mevd172 DME in the BMW 135i (N55) has quiet a bit of data that can be logged. I just can't find any apps that can actually poll it... Any help would be appreciated!

Also, I may have the memory addresses for the aforementioned PIDs from my tuner. If I provide that data, could the PIDs be added to trackaddict!?

Other relevant info:
    * GS7 Android
    * Generic Elm OBD adapter
    Last edited by banks334; 03-19-2018 at 02:05 PM.

Most of the OBD-II data that's available in TrackAddict at the present time is via standardized SAE / Mode 01 PID's, which is the norm for most general OBD apps. There's a list of what's possible on Wikipedia if you're interested, and what will actually be available in most of these apps will be a subset of that, based on which PIDs the app supports and which one the manufacturer has chosen to actually implement in this way for your particular vehicle. Unfortunately, TrackAddict is pretty much limited to that right now.

Although there's a plethora of additional and very useful data that the engine computer and other systems have, that is proprietary to each manufacturer, so it takes reverse engineering for that specific make/model/controller. In the future, I do expect that we'll be able to offer a huge number of these data channels for the vehicles that we support via the HP Tuners VCM Scanner, but we can't yet announce any details or an ETA on that.

Another option would be to offer the ability for users to define their own parameters, assuming they know the correct PID / address and data format information... That's something that some OBD apps do that I've been wanting as well. It definitely wont make it into the v4.0 release (users should see that in a couple days), but it is at least on my list to explore for future updates...

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Weston@HPTuners View Post
    Most of the OBD-II data that's available in TrackAddict at the present time is via standardized SAE / Mode 01 PID's, which is the norm for most general OBD apps. There's a list of what's possible on Wikipedia if you're interested, and what will actually be available in most of these apps will be a subset of that, based on which PIDs the app supports and which one the manufacturer has chosen to actually implement in this way for your particular vehicle. Unfortunately, TrackAddict is pretty much limited to that right now.

Although there's a plethora of additional and very useful data that the engine computer and other systems have, that is proprietary to each manufacturer, so it takes reverse engineering for that specific make/model/controller. In the future, I do expect that we'll be able to offer a huge number of these data channels for the vehicles that we support via the HP Tuners VCM Scanner, but we can't yet announce any details or an ETA on that.

Another option would be to offer the ability for users to define their own parameters, assuming they know the correct PID / address and data format information... That's something that some OBD apps do that I've been wanting as well. It definitely wont make it into the v4.0 release (users should see that in a couple days), but it is at least on my list to explore for future updates...
    Thank you for the reply.

So, the g-force data is actually from my phone and not the car... That's good to know. Makes more sense now why I am seeing drastically lower G-forces with a new window mount. I think this mount has more play so the forced are damped more...

Potential Tuner
    Has anything been progressed on this? I have many PIDs I'd like to record during track days that are not in the generic list. I have seen other Android apps use Torque as their means of gathering OBD data. Is that feasible or is it too slow for the application?
    Last edited by kenweise; 03-27-2019 at 07:34 AM.

We have a couple projects underway to expand scanning capabilities even further with our products, but it would be premature to give an ETA at this time. What type of PIDs are you trying to get? Mode 22 or similar stuff? Or are you looking for CAN broadcast data?

Potential Tuner
    Just following up on this thread, which is of great interest to me. I would most likely be to see the data from the ABS computer-, particularly, steering angle and brake application. I know it is there since ForScan is able to track it. It would be very helpful, I think, for analyzing my driving and making pretty videos...

I drive a 2013 Mazda MX5.

Thanks!