Thread: freshly tuned fg turbo having issues

freshly tuned fg turbo having issues

more rough idle.hpl
    startupandouttostreet.hpl
    joshtuned.hpt
    run.hpl
    startupandouttostreet.hpl

hey guys didn't have the resources to tune this fg turbo so sent it to the shop for what should have been a simple tune.

mods are
    1000cc injectors bosch
    pw 2 cooler kit
    ported housing
    4' dump and full 3.5' exhaust

so the idea was to max the baby turbo out (cars auto zf)

it made 340rwkw on 98 yeah I know very high lol

only issue is on idle randomly the ilde changes and the timing can be seen to jump very high then all of a sudden go back to normal, also while under WOT on random occasions it will stick to 4000rpm exactly for about 5 seconds then continue on its way. if I stop and go again it can be fine but randomly this will happen where it stays at 4000rpm and doesn't move for a few seconds. uploaded a few data logs and the file. first log was start up and driving out to the gate be advised car was in limp mode lol

next one is a drive and few WOT pulls

I will go again shorty and log it and hopefully log the time the fault happens was just hoping maybe something in the file sticks out that needs changing

could it be his copied another spark table tit for tat and the car doesn't like that???? any help would be awesome
    Last edited by Kosij; 03-21-2018 at 07:00 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Kosij my observations.
    Idle settings appear to have been changed substantially from standard however I do not have a standard copy of HAEDLL8 to compare.
    Ignition map appears to be different across all settings compared to a 2010 standard ignition map and has be smoothed.
    Commanded AFR .65 (wrong appears to be offsetting changed speed density map)
    Assuming your injectors are KPM 1000 the injector settings vary from those supplied by KPM
    Substantial knock > 6.9 degrees
    No 02 sensor reading for an indication of fuel delivery.
    Tune with actual data not simulated data!.....Applied Road/track Tuning

Cheers man, stumped what would cause it to hold 4000rpm excalty on random occasions.

The idle is rough as guts sounds cammed at times! I seen the fuel settings and far out wasn?t impressed.

Only that I didn?t have a afr gauge I couldn?t road tune it.

Going back now asking him to put the timing maps back to stock see if that helps at all.

The rough idle and timing jumping around is the biggest issue I need sorted

What year model year model.do you have the std file before it was touched..
    i can not see the turbo side of things d/c table and desire boost tables

March 2010

HAEDLL8

Nope no stock file! Going to call the tuner now and ask for it :/ not impressed

IS he software up to date.
    i late it over one of my stand files lots of things dont line up.
    but iam having problems se the turbo side of things.....
    2 to 3 degress of timing or is it just my laptop on this file
    i can see the .65 on the base fuel.....

Has commanded .65 for the fuel!!

I got the stock file,

Returned the car to stock with the injector settings left as is and still no good. So I then removed the injectors and put stock ones in. Copied his tune with stock injectors and it idled fine so that tells me the scalings for the Bosch 1000 were wayyy off or a injector in stuffed!

I tried a few different offsets and PW AND FLOWS couldn?t get it good. Will be binning them for some x spurts or id?s

Can you put up the stock file bud

Tuner in Training
    probably would have been worth pulling the plugs out and taking a look, that would show you if there are any significant flow differences between the 6

I?ll load up the stock file tonight.

New xspurts on the way I?ll load in the scalings and return the car to the Dyno to be finished. Hopefully all sorted will also be having these 1000?s flowed here to see how they perform weird no scaling and after hours I couldn?t get it to idle anywhere near cleanly

Advanced Tuner
    Sometimes they don’t idle perfectly. But FG with standard cams should idle pretty clean at often a slightly richer AFR until they go into closed loop. I usually raise the idle to about 650-680 which also cleans it up a little.

how do I upload another file now?

nah I mean timing going from 10-30degrees and not stable
    Last edited by Kosij; 03-25-2018 at 10:57 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    closed loop 380hp.hpt

this is 1000cc Xspurt inj small cooler and full exhaust. standard turbo and actuator running closed loop boost control. car actually made about 315rwkw on a cold run.

use this map to work off. it should be close to what you want with all the modified tables copied straight across. it has the stock trans file in it as I didn't even complete the ZF read

So, seems like a never ending battle

Fitted stock injectors and adjusted the tune to suit, seemed to run fine so I assumed injectors were the issue.

Removed the Bosch 1000?s and Fitted new ID1000?s only to be told it?s doing the same thing :/

On the Dyno from about 3250-4500rpm it?s like it?s pulling timing and very wavy power curve very very messy the rpm curve is a complete loop as it looses rpm and gains then looses and gains...

I have the car now so will do some logs and re uplaod the tune file and data logs hoping to replicate the issue on the road. Apparently idle is still very rough and timing jumping around.

At wits ends with this car. Thinking return the tune to stock and start again with only the ID Scalings used and see if the issue is still present. Anyone even seen anything like this?

Tuner
    Ive compared your two files from stock to "tuned" and there are quite a few differences. Its obvious the guy who tuned it didnt really know what he was doing.
    Setting the base fuel to .65 is just wrong.
    They have pulled out a heap of ignition timing when comparing the two. I bet its making a lot less power than expected and would be pretty ordinary to drive on the street with such reduced timing.
    I could ramble on & on about the things that are wrong between the two. It would be easier to just take it to someone else who has experience with VCM suite if you can't figure it out for yourself.

A good place to start would be to start with the stock tune and change only the injector data. Triple check it is correct, low/high slopes, offset, min pulse widths etc.
    Go for an easy drive don't boost it too hard and see what thats like. It should run mint off boost. If not you might have to play with high/low slopes until you get it in the ball park.

If you have a wideband fitted you can do it yourself and get the tune 98% done in a few hours out the back roads if you have the patience.

Advanced Tuner
    sounds to me like the closed loop boost control is struggling and over compensating hence your waving power curve. timing can be from KR or tip in. I would suggest turning both off for the tune. but if you turn KR off be very conservative in adding timing and use something to listen for knock.

I always start from stock file if possible. saves headaches from tables in other software that get modified that we cant see.

ID 1000cc are bosch 1000cc injectors but flow matched and slightly modified by ID.

try the below scaling for 1000cc ID injectors in FGtune 1.hpt

note the breakpoint on voltage offset. note the "volts" axis is has been modified so don't just copy paste.

if youre using open loop boost control reference above file for underboost threshold and other under/overboost tables. open loop generally has a single figure desired boost.

if using closed loop reference below tune.

closed loop 380hp.hpt

if your thresh holds aren't large enough and it goes into overboost or underboost you'll never be able to get a clean run

add your latest file and some logs, not everyone here hates helping people with ford stuff

ID 1000's are not the same injector as a Bosch 1000 (980) they are a smaller injector which is modified and then matched