Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Startup Injector Tables - ID1300

Quote Originally Posted by 06300CSRT8 View Post
    one thing that is irking me, with the cam installed, long block in the engine bay, crank sensor connected, cam sensor not, I cranked the engine for 1 full start cycle (~20 sec) to help prime the motor.

Wondering if this resulted in some quirky cam position learning by the ECU, but not sure if the crank relearn procedure function works in the VCM scanner?
    I doubt it, but reset all adaptives with the scanner to be sure.
    When I primed mine I unplugged the fuse for the fuel pump and pulled 1 plug from each cylinder.

Quote Originally Posted by 06300CSRT8 View Post
    I was told the intake is calculated off the exhaust, so regardless it will log the mirror image of the exhaust side. I will fire it up tonight and log the exhaust side. Hard to believe I could drive it a half hour with the cam off a tooth and not throw a code.
    ^ He is correct, only the exhaust cam tables are active. Are you using a VVT cam or is it locked?
    2010 R/T 6spd-6.1 based 426 @ 12.5:1 NA, Howards Cam, Eagle ported heads & intake, 52# Deatschwerks injectors, AFR shaker, Derale oil cooler, Barton STS, SRT8 shorties/mids,BBK 85,HP tuned,Jet 160*,BT Catch Can,SLP line locks,DRL,skip shift delete,splash guards-alu dash kit,MP hood struts,BT Mopar nose-fuel door-sill plates, sequential tails,marker blackouts,392 chin spoiler,tint, T-rex billet grill, Pirelli tires, alpine audio.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by chizzle1 View Post
    ^ He is correct, only the exhaust cam tables are active. Are you using a VVT cam or is it locked?
    I understand the exhaust tables are all that actually make any changes, in the scanner everything logs. The ECU knows an intake and exhaust cam position, my point is the intake PID is just a math done by the ECU.

Cam is locked via a comp phaser lock.

Senior Tuner
    Question - how does the startup airflow multiplier table get used, does it divide or multiply? I am seeing in older years (pre-09) the factor at lower counts is lower and goes up after more cranking counts. My 2014 is the opposite, much larger lower in the cranking counts and 1.000 in the higher.

I am going to do some more testing tonight, I have a feeling the fact that I have my PCV valve gutted and vented to atmosphere instead of routed like stock back into the intake manifold, I have drastically reduced the available startup airflow. I may just take the cap off the port where the old pCV line used to go and leave it wide open, see if she starts better.

I also purchased a new cam sensor just to test. Still not convinced this thing is off timing.

on mine it starts at -40* 431 and drops down to 266* 156
    essentially, the colder it is the more throttle it gives it to start

unless you have disabled some of the engine diagnostic features you would get a CEL and go into limp mode if the cam crank correlation is off.
    2010 R/T 6spd-6.1 based 426 @ 12.5:1 NA, Howards Cam, Eagle ported heads & intake, 52# Deatschwerks injectors, AFR shaker, Derale oil cooler, Barton STS, SRT8 shorties/mids,BBK 85,HP tuned,Jet 160*,BT Catch Can,SLP line locks,DRL,skip shift delete,splash guards-alu dash kit,MP hood struts,BT Mopar nose-fuel door-sill plates, sequential tails,marker blackouts,392 chin spoiler,tint, T-rex billet grill, Pirelli tires, alpine audio.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by chizzle1 View Post
    on mine it starts at -40* 431 and drops down to 266* 156
    essentially, the colder it is the more throttle it gives it to start
    The table next to that, the "Mult" table

Senior Tuner
    I logged cam crank difference and it's sitting at 4.6 degrees. Doesn't see I'm off, correct?
    Last edited by 06300CSRT8; 03-29-2018 at 04:32 PM.

Senior Tuner
    So I think I have the hard start more figured out. I think I am flooding it to start, if you look at this log right at the beginning where I first fire it up, the injector pulsewidth is shooting to over 16ms. I am now commanding the throttle to open 40%, and if you look the motor fires as soon as the pulsewidth moves down closer to zero. Sigh, take a look, ignore the rest of the log this was a SD tune up to get my VE in better shape.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    I cut down the startup pw by 25% and she almost fires immediately, so def going in the right direction.

I am getting what I think is a lean stumble when going into boost, but I will start a fresh thread for that one, also need to tweak the knock sensor thresholds, was picking up too much knock and my settings are stock.

Tuner
    Glad to see your making some progress. Just curious what you set your Closed loop FA stoich values too?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ElecTech View Post
    You also should set the Fuel Mass Vacuum Mult. table to 1's
    Whch table needs to be set to not modify anything when runnign a boost referenced reg? ECM 34078 Fuel Mass Mult vs Press Differential right?
    Factory Stock 97 SS M6 13.51 @ 104.3 mph
    Stock Longblock LS1 w/ 233/238 P.S.I. Cam
    10.81 @ 126.9 Full interior, six speed on 275 radials, a decade ago

'99 TA trunk mounted 76mm 6 Liter
    9.0s in '09 @ 153 MPH

Turbo 5.3 Volvo 740 Wagon
    32psi and still winding out 5th on the highway somewhere

Does it have a rich idle? Use the recommended injector data but change the Engine, Fuel, General, Injector Control, Limits, "Inj PW Min" from 0.800ms to 0.128ms and see if this helps. Then raise as needed slightly below your actual lowest idle pulse table value once adjusted. The "Inj PW Min" setting will limit or override a lower setting on the pulse width table. The 0.800ms minimum limit may be too high with larger injectors at idle especially if your tables have lower values.