Thread: 06 5.9 Elect Fan Clutch tuning?

06 5.9 Elect Fan Clutch tuning?

Anyone play with the fan speed and engagement parameters? I run a BD GT on my work truck just for ease of swapping between tunes while haveing my vital gauges on hand so havent ever really hooked my MPVI up to it till the other day just out of curiousity and noticed the fan clutch parameters. I have a pretty heavily built 48re in this truck pretty much everything you can throw at them other than a billet intermediate and output shaft. But I tend to get some trans temp creep while sitting in traffic or towing heavy normally around 210-215 in traffic but have seen it hit 220 before while towing and I pulled over immediately threw the trans in neutral and the temps started dropping back down. The truck weighs 12,200lbs unloaded because of a utility bed stocked full with tools/etc. Would like to have the fan clutch engage sooner and maybe even stay engaged longer or request higher fan RPMs when engaged. What are yalls thoughts on this?

Tuner in Training
    the one thing i did was set the temp threshold at 210 and then have fan rise start to 1500 rpms rise rate 250 steps. it helps a lot keeping truck cool down here in Texas but by no means can i say that correct. i only been tinkering with my truck

what you could do is set some different thresholds on the tranny segment of the fan.
    maybe:

rise temp threshold lower it down to 220 and have it step in at say 1000 rpms.set the min speed at 500 rpm
    Last edited by SliverGoat73; 03-30-2018 at 08:50 PM.
    2003 Silver 3500 HO JTT/DTT w/Billet Shafts Automatic 157k, Smeding 62/68/12 divided, Steedspeed t3 3gen manifold, GDP Fuel Boss standard drive, GDP Remote Fuel w/Big Line, 4"-5" exhaust, Banks Ram Air, 22x12 BurnOut SS, 305/45r22

I may do some tinkering with it in the summer time when temps start to climb. Im in Texas as well so I think tuning it in the Texas summer heat might be my best bet for makeing sure I can get some acceptable results. I know fuel mileage may drop but im not too concerned about that. I would rather pay for the extra fuel than cook the transmission probably going to swap to a Ford 6.0 trans cooler as well this summer before I play with the fan tuning.