Thread: Wrench light when plugging in MPVI Pro (2017 Mustang)

Tuner

Wrench light when plugging in MPVI Pro (2017 Mustang)

I sent this message to tech support this morning. (Awaiting reply). Posting a duplicate here in case anyone else has any information that can help.

We have a 2017 Mustang GT here that gets a wrench light and shuts down the electric power steering and navigation system whenever I plug in the HP tuners mpvi pro interface. It doesn't matter if the interface is plugged into the laptop or not. Either way the car turns on the wrench light as soon as the interface is plugged into the OBDII port.

Two other pieces of information:

1) The car will not "wrench light" when I plug in an SCT X4 tuner.

2) If I plug the HP tuners interface into a 2016 mustang it works fine. It only "wrench lights" the 2017 mustang.

Can you tell me how much power the MVPI Pro interface should draw when plugged into the diagnostic port? I'm trying to diagnose what it is about this car that is different. One of my theory's is a wiring problem that is sensitive to current draw.

Any other suggestions? Do you have anyone on staff that can help me diagnose this problem?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Does the wrench light come on if you connect the obd2 cable to the vehicle(remove the mpvi from the obd2 cable) this will help rule out or in an issue with your obd2 cable
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner
    Wrench light does not come on with just the OBD2 cable plugged in. With the cable already plugged in to the car, if you then plug the mpvi into the cable, it instantly turns on the wrench light, disables the power steering and disables navigation and puts up a message that "911 assistance is not available."

Also, I drove the car for about an hour, 45 minutes of that time with a Xcal datalogging with LL-Gen2, with no wrench light. When I got done with that drive I tested the mvpi obd2 cable-only and then with the mvpi connected. Only the mvpi connected turned on the wrench light.

It's a common MPVI issue with Fords and some Dodges.
    I opened a support ticket long ago and was told my interface was faulty, that I needed to buy a new one (offered to transfer my licenses to a new one), however I wasn't convinced.
    I borrowed a new interface and it does exactly the same. A friend from another city has a really old interface and he says it does the same.
    I have never seen a wrench light, however the interface upsets the CAN network and the cluster stops working, door chime goes crazy (only trucks), A/C turns on by itself (hot air ) and can't be turned off, most things won't work (traction control, cruise control, power steering, turn lights etc).

I have isolated the problem to the MPVI since it only happens when it is plugged to OBD2 port, I used SCT and Diablo tuners with the same cars and all worked normally.

I have found that leaving the interface plugged to the OBD2 port for a few minutes before turning on the ignition makes it behave better. If I first start the vehicle then plug the interface the car just goes crazy.
    My interface works good and this doesn't happen with any GM to this date.
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecarlodrag View Post
    It's a common MPVI issue with Fords and some Dodges.
    I opened a support ticket long ago and was told my interface was faulty, that I needed to buy a new one (offered to transfer my licenses to a new one), however I wasn't convinced.
    I borrowed a new interface and it does exactly the same. A friend from another city has a really old interface and he says it does the same.
    I have never seen a wrench light, however the interface upsets the CAN network and the cluster stops working, door chime goes crazy (only trucks), A/C turns on by itself (hot air ) and can't be turned off, most things won't work (traction control, cruise control, power steering, turn lights etc).

I have isolated the problem to the MPVI since it only happens when it is plugged to OBD2 port, I used SCT and Diablo tuners with the same cars and all worked normally.

I have found that leaving the interface plugged to the OBD2 port for a few minutes before turning on the ignition makes it behave better. If I first start the vehicle then plug the interface the car just goes crazy.
    My interface works good and this doesn't happen with any GM to this date.
    Never had an issue on my 2014 Mustang GT.

I have issues on every Ford vehicle I plug my interface to. I recently tuned a 2016 Fusion and same issue.
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    weird, maybe some module on the bus isn't playing nice, wouldn't be the first time. If it reads/flashes ok you should be fine though.

My 2008 Mustang GT and the one Ram 2500 I tuned both work flawlessly with my interface. The guy I bought my Pro Suite from was using it on a couple of newer Coyote deals with no issues.

Yes it scans and flashes completely fine
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

Potential Tuner
    You could try to remove pins from the obd2 car connector ms-can or hs-can to see what bus is giving you problems. In my 2012 Mustang, The whole bus was upset because the electric power steering connector wasn't secured properly and was connecting and disconnecting making noise on the bus.

Tuner
    Well my original issue was solved by replacing the OBD-II connector in the car, which for the 2017 Mustang is actually a whole module instead of just a plug. Some pins got bent somehow when plugging in the HPT interface. It got worse and worse until the point where it wrench-lighted anytime anything was plugged in. The funny thing was that at first my Xcal worked fine but the HPT interface didn't. The more we tried to diagnose it the worse it got. Fortunately the module was only something like $40 from the dealer.