Thread: iPhone X Update needed!

Tuner in Training

iPhone X Update needed!

When will TA be updated to take full advantage of the iPhone X screen? The latest version still leaves black bars at top & bottom. TIA

Probably within the next month or so, mostly because Apple is going to start requiring it for future app updates at some point, and I'd like to stay ahead of that if our time permits. The iOS version of the new v4.0 UI was built with this in mind, but there's still a lot of tedious tweaking and testing to be done, so it definitely wasn't worth delaying this week's release for the sake of a cosmetic difference on one phone model.

Tuner in Training

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Weston@HPTuners View Post
    Probably within the next month or so, mostly because Apple is going to start requiring it for future app updates at some point, and I'd like to stay ahead of that if our time permits. The iOS version of the new v4.0 UI was built with this in mind, but there's still a lot of tedious tweaking and testing to be done, so it definitely wasn't worth delaying this week's release for the sake of a cosmetic difference on one phone model.
    Zzzz... still waiting, and waiting 6 month later, to think I upgraded my phone to NOT be able to use the full screen...
    Last edited by libertyforall1776; 05-22-2018 at 10:45 PM.

Not sure how the end of March to the end of May constitutes 6 months, but please keep in mind that Apple sold you the iPhone X, not us. They're also the one who created this need for app changes for their one phone model in the first place. But we'll get to it... Work on our numerous recent tuning product announcements had taken priority over these minor cosmetic changes.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Weston@HPTuners View Post
    Not sure how the end of March to the end of May constitutes 6 months, but please keep in mind that Apple sold you the iPhone X, not us. They're also the one who created this need for app changes for their one phone model in the first place. But we'll get to it... Work on our numerous recent tuning product announcements had taken priority over these minor cosmetic changes.
    Released November 2017, 7 months now. If they are "minor cosmetic changes", then it should not take 7 months to implement...

Obviously you are only going to update it now that Apple is forcing you starting 01-Jul-2018:

There will be multiple super retina iPhones later this year, so time to get used to it...

https://developer.apple.com/news/?id=05072018a
    Last edited by libertyforall1776; 06-16-2018 at 12:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by libertyforall1776 View Post
    Released November 2017, 7 months now. If they are "minor cosmetic changes", then it should not take 7 months to implement...
    Again, Apple sold you that, not us. We never promised or implied any day one support for the extra capabilities of this new phone, and it was only somewhat recently that I indicated we would be making the changes to support it. The absence of us utilizing the extra non-optimal screen space on this phone is not preventing or interfering with anyone using all of this app's functionality, so this is a cosmetic enhancement for a subset of our users and it has been prioritized appropriately.

Obviously you are only going to update it now that Apple is forcing you starting 01-Jul-2018:
    We're constantly adding new features and enhancements that we don't have to, because it's stuff that we and our users will enjoy. That said, our development time and effort is far from free, so it's all a matter of priorities and how many resources are required to do it. Without Apple's deadline, we likely would have done this either way, but on our own timeline instead of Apple's. I had previously said as much, before they even put a date on it. I would have liked to get comfortably ahead of this, but we also have many projects to work on here that will benefit TA users in a number of ways. Putting aside our own ambitions and projects to spend our development resources on adding value to another company's hardware, which also does not represent any functional improvement for our users in this case, is generally not very good business sense. Apple is a special case because they have total control of the iOS platform and app store.

Personally, I'd much rather spend my time building more new and useful features that better serve the majority of our users (and our company which funds most of this), than dealing with screen notches and other minutia, but here we are.