Thread: Grid Heater Delete Tuning?

Grid Heater Delete Tuning?

I just performed a grid heater delete and was wondering if any changes in timing/quantity need to be made. I zeroed out the grid heater settings in HP Tuners, but when I started my truck this morning (25F out), it started really hard, with a lot of smoke. I know that I will get some smoke, but this was excessive.

Thanks for any help.
    2019 CCSB Bighorn - Excited HP Tuners finally supported Cummins CM2350&2450 platforms

Tuner in Training
    the only thing i have seen is you can adjust the amount of fuel under the no throttle fueling. and from what i can gain you can increase the amount of fuel but man without a grid heater in that weather i think your kinda stuck there unless u plug her in. i think its coolant temp fuel quanities.
    2003 Silver 3500 HO JTT/DTT w/Billet Shafts Automatic 157k, Smeding 62/68/12 divided, Steedspeed t3 3gen manifold, GDP Fuel Boss standard drive, GDP Remote Fuel w/Big Line, 4"-5" exhaust, Banks Ram Air, 22x12 BurnOut SS, 305/45r22

The tune that I had I adjusted the timing and fuel quantity for the entire map. I have changed it such that below 1200rpm, the timing and quantity are stock. I also changed the correction tables back to stock. I have not had time to try starting it this morning (19F). I will soon and report back.

I got a good deal on the intake plenum and elbow, so I am not able to use a GDP style grid heater. My intake elbow is cast aluminum. Would I be able to drill and tap for the BD grid heater insert?
    2019 CCSB Bighorn - Excited HP Tuners finally supported Cummins CM2350&2450 platforms

Advanced Tuner
    Youd be best to drill to weld in a bung.
    I have a burrito in my colon, yet refried beans come out...
    How i know it's from the same meal? I didn't ingest corn any other time.

Its a tricky situation, less timing will help it start easier but at the cost of more smoke because your injecting the fuel later. More timing will make it harder to start and that will be compounded by the lack of grid heater. Best is to pick a happy medium for cold weather, I would use a IAT map to pull timing so you don't have to wreck your timing map permanently it will just pull timing when its cold.

That is a good suggestion Big. I remember when I adjusted my pilot timing too far out, and that caused an incredibly rough idle when it was cold (even with a grid heater). I will have to play around with the timing for a bit to get things adjusted. Unfortunately, the days keep getting warmer, so I will probably have to put this on hold until October.