Thread: Knock Retard on modified engines- What's the answer?

Tuner in Training

Knock Retard on modified engines- What's the answer?

I'm sure many of you have seen it. Knock retard on modified Gen V engines. Whether it's a pulley on a LT4, or a supercharger on a LT1 or even just headers. There are countless unanswered threads on it. What's the answer for the rouge knock retard that seems to be active at WOT no matter what? I use a PLEX Knock Monitor to monitor spark knock and these engines are clean. Remove timing, add timing, richen up, lean it out, doesn't seem to matter. It's clearly a part of the TQ control but even adjusting the virtual torque tables for lower OR higher at given load ranges doesn't seem to have an effect. It's gotten to the point where I am curious to if anyone is actually working around it properly. I have pulled tunes from cars with the knock system completely disabled as a work around, but given the complexity and effectiveness of today's knock protection systems, I'm not interested in doing that.

Cheers!!!

Advanced Tuner
    Sub'd
    [IMG][/IMG]

I have always put forth the idea that it is protecting spark when it sees too much injector pulse width. It will start injection earlier and also spark later to open up the window.

Once you get over 5ms, which is almost immediately after modding, you start to see weird things happen in the logs. Leave your MAF curve stock so your DI system can operate like stock and install a port injection system to handle fueling and you won't see this.