Thread: ZF8 Limp Mode

Senior Tuner

ZF8 Limp Mode

Are there certain things you can't change in the ZF8? Working on a trans tune for a Whipple 392 and just keep having it startup in limp mode.

Senior Tuner
    Bump... Anyone using the latest beta / an SCT unlocked PCM and transmission tuning? Really want to get this straightened out before a track day next weekend

Are you getting any codes?

Senior Tuner
    Yeah. Can't remember which ones but several. Lost communication with TCM and several others. I can change shift pressures and it works and drives fine but keeps the DTCs set. Seems like anything else I change it goes in limp mode and stays stuck in one gear. I can't even raise shift points.

Senior Tuner
    Anyone else encounter this? Customer was going to have HP Tuners do the unlock in case it was because this was unlocked by SCT and I was told by HP Tuners support the unlock didn't have anything to do with TCM tuning and no recent updates have changed anything related to it

You should provide more info on car and a tune file would help.
    2018 Trackhawk PCM/TCM tune by Dusterhoff.
    Flex Fuel, MMX faux 95mm TB, GripTec 2.85, 10% ATI lower, FIC1200, ARH 1 7/8 w/cats, 180 T-stat

13 Chrysler 300S, RAM BGE 412 stroker, cam motion 232/246 619/619 118 +4, ATI 18% OD pulley
    Whipple Gen5 3.0, 2.50 upper pulley, Smooth Boost controller, FIC 1200 inj. Nick W 108mm TB, FORE dual return fuel system, E85, FTI 2800 stall(SRT83380), SHR WAR Viking trans and valve body, Getrag 3.73, 1 7/8 kooks w/hi-flow cats, 3" Magnaflow Cat-back 943rwhp

Senior Tuner
    2017 Scat Pack Charger. Not going to undo parts of tune I don't want to post to post but I will say we're talking minor changes to TCM tune put it in limp mode. I can go raise a shift point and put it in limp mode. Similar tunes on other cars without issues

Senior Tuner
    When I have time to get together with them to try again I'll try Whipple tune as it is from Whipple and only raising a single shift point just to confirm problem and post that

Senior Tuner
    Are you using the Special Functions to erase TCM codes or the code utility?
    Jaime

Senior Tuner
    I tried both with no luck. Think I'm doing something wrong / having bad luck here and just need to flash it and get the codes removed?

Tuner in Training
    Im having this same issue on 17 scat. There is about a 6 things i cant touch or it breaks it (codes and wont go into gesr). Anyone ever get anywhere with this?

Quote Originally Posted by ridenrunwv View Post
    2017 Scat Pack Charger. Not going to undo parts of tune I don't want to post to post but I will say we're talking minor changes to TCM tune put it in limp mode. I can go raise a shift point and put it in limp mode. Similar tunes on other cars without issues
    What? Why would you undue any parts of the tune with a problem and ask for help? Don't want anyone to see the tune? I mean I don't know about some others but after tuning dozens successfully a broken tune sure doesn't do anyone any good. There are little things all over the PCM and TCM tune that can cause this, one little thing between cals and what's available in the software. So if you don't want to post what you are actually using in the car currently, the version of HPT software, then you are wasting everyone's time.
    Last edited by Blue Bee; 05-27-2019 at 12:16 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Bee View Post
    What? Why would you undue any parts of the tune with a problem and ask for help? Don't want anyone to see the tune? I mean I don't know about some others but after tuning dozens successfully a broken tune sure doesn't do anyone any good. There are little things all over the PCM and TCM tune that can cause this, one little thing between cals and what's available in the software. So if you don't want to post what you are actually using in the car currently, the version of HPT software, then you are wasting everyone's time.

this was me bumping an old thread saying i had the same issue. not his fault

Quote Originally Posted by just a nobody View Post
    this was me bumping an old thread saying i had the same issue. not his fault
    ? I didn't quote you.

Potential Tuner
    ^^^^ This is a fact