Thread: Eliminating PRNDL switch

Tuner in Training

Eliminating PRNDL switch

I have a guy I am setting up a wiring harness and tune for a lq4 with a TR224 cam and 4l60e that is adamant about not finding a selector switch for his transmission. Can I just turn the switch off in the system tab, or will this cause issues with idle, especially transition back to idle from moving. Also for things like base RAF which table will the computer default to using, in gear or P/N?

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    You have to at least have a way to tell it that it's in or out of gear for the exact reason you mentioned. A lot of after market shifters like bmm and Hurst have a pn switch to control either a ground or power feed ( depends on how it's wired). You'll have to reference the wiring for the switch and ECU to figure out what needs to be grounded or powered.

I'm guessing your client has a remote trans controller or manual valve body conversion.

Tuner in Training
    Thats kinda what I thought, but he isn't budging, nothing like a manual valve body or anything, just a crotchety stubborn ole bastard. I;m only doing the job because he's an old family friend. Will it hurt anything if I set it up without the switch, and if I can't get it to idle good enough for him then I should be able to convince him to let me install one.

if its the factory auto without anything special then you have to have the switch in order to switch the gears in the transmission properly.
    the only way to delete the oem switch completely is to switch to a manual valve body.

your going to have to tell him tough shit because without it the trans wont shift through the ECM as OEM has designed it.

its a 35$ switch...
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 04-05-2018 at 01:30 AM.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Advanced Tuner
    4L60Es and 4L80Es have an internal pressure switch for the PCM to know the gear it is in. The PRNDL switch or range switch on the side of the case is only needed as a neutral safety switch and for the factory shift indicator. I set P/N switch to "NONE" on my 0411 in my Express, no idle issues and relearned the crank just fine.

Advanced Tuner
    The above post is correct. I swapped a 4l80e in place of my nv3500. Still using my clutch pedal as a neutral safety switch and have zero issues. Like fast 4.7 I set p/n switch to none. Just make sure your base running airflow tables are the same for neutral and in gear. The pcm will always use in gear tables.
    97 ext cab short bed silverado 5.7 411 swap, edelbrock 29135 intake, lightly ported 906 heads milled .035 thou. factory press in rocker studs & rockers, comp 787 retainers & stock locks, ls6 springs. Comp cams 08-503-8 T56 swap

86 SWB crate vortec 5.7/th350 The wife's truck

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Oleblu View Post
    Just make sure your base running airflow tables are the same for neutral and in gear. The pcm will always use in gear tables.
    That is not correct. Mine still logs the selected gear, it just uses the internal pressure switches in the valve body to indicate to the PCM what gear is in use. I even have 2nd gear start once I programmed the tables correctly to enable it with the 4L80E/4L85E. Factory Van calibration did not have 2nd gear start programmed for a 4L80E or 4L85E. P/N and In-gear base air volume tables both need to be logged and adjusted in the tune.
    Last edited by Fast4.7; 04-05-2018 at 01:06 PM.

Thanks for correcting me. I didn't have my wiring diagrams in front of me to remind me how it operates. Forgot it does that.

Advanced Tuner
    And thanks for correcting me also, obviously i didn't do all my homework. Lol
    97 ext cab short bed silverado 5.7 411 swap, edelbrock 29135 intake, lightly ported 906 heads milled .035 thou. factory press in rocker studs & rockers, comp 787 retainers & stock locks, ls6 springs. Comp cams 08-503-8 T56 swap

86 SWB crate vortec 5.7/th350 The wife's truck

Advanced Tuner
    No problem guys!

Just want the most accurate information possible on this to help eliminate potential issues other people may run across.

The pressure sensors themselves are carry over from the oldest TBI systems and the Black Box PCMs.