Thread: Fusion Sport - WOT shifting keeps hitting 6500 RPM revlimiter

Fusion Sport - WOT shifting keeps hitting 6500 RPM revlimiter

I've been struggling to figure out why the 17 Fusion Sport keeps hitting a 6500 RPM rev limiter in Sport mode. I changed the shift schedule tables as a last resort so that it shifts earlier, but no dice. It seems to only do it in 1st and 2nd gears. On the 2014 SHO, I know if I manually downshifted into 1st, it would not automatically upshift into 2nd. So I need to start from a stop and launch in Sport mode. On the Fusion Sport, it seems to do this in 1st and 2nd gears, but if I'm on the freeway, hit sport mode, and just mash down the throttle, it will downshift into 3rd, and perform a WOT 3-4 upshift.

It's the same 6F55 as the one in the SHO, but HP Tuners is missing a lot of rate limiters/limiters in the Fusion Sport strategy and I never had this much trouble getting the WOT shift points dialed in with the SHO. All I did on the SHO was change the RPMs in the 2 trans shift tables and never had to touch the shift schedules or even turn off Torque Based shift scheduling.

Any ideas?

It still seems to have a mind of its own for one of the WOT shifts, but for the most part I think I figured it out. If you go into Sport mode, don't manually downshift to 1st or 2nd or else it keeps you there and you have to manually upshift. Yes I know that is how paddle shifters should work, but the Ford system normally upshifts automatically even in Sport mode but apparently not when you manually go into 1st or 2nd. It also takes forever to down/upshift manually.

Did you ever get this figured out?

Nope. And I'm also pretty sure there's another set of driver demand tables or limiters when downshifting in Sport Mode or using the paddles. The 6F55 in the Fusion Sport just never shifts right compared to the 6F55 in the Explorer and Taurus SHO. The shift points are inconsistent and the HPTuners settings don't seem to control them at all.

just an update, it still does not want to shift at my programmed shift points. Whether it is the RPM tables or the shift schedules, it always overshoots it. I had to raise the limiter to 7100 RPM for the engine so it wouldn't bang against it. Now the WOT 1-2 is at about 6200 RPM even though I commanded 6000 RPM. Better but not quite what I wanted.

Senior Tuner
    I have a customer's Fusion right now the 2nd to 3rd shift on it awful I'm messing with. It has a GT3071 turbo and runs good but it's a pain to try to get it to shift good

The sad part is my 18 Explorer 6F55 has the same trans settings but shifts better. My 1-2 on the Sport was the worst, 2-3 wasn't too bad. But I am losing like 0.5 to 0.75 seconds in the 1/4 just waiting on the shifting

What year was that Fusion ? the 13 14's were a basket case. Ford had all kinds of issues with it, I know a guy that was a trans tech at our Dealership we get most all our Ford parts from, he said the 15 up's were a lot better. There is a support bearing that goes to hell in it ,and causes all kinds of problems. I,ve got a 2013 I use Cobb's soft wear to tune and its been a up hill battle for three years with.

Advanced Tuner
    Have you tried lowering your clutch fill times and increasing your shift pressures incoming and offlgoing by about 10%-%20 across the bored. If your clutch fill times are too slow it will try to shift too slowly.

It's a 2017. My 2018 Explorer's 6F55 is the same way. Doesn't behave anywhere close to the 6F55 in my 2014 SHO.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronson View Post
    Have you tried lowering your clutch fill times and increasing your shift pressures incoming and offlgoing by about 10%-%20 across the bored. If your clutch fill times are too slow it will try to shift too slowly.
    I keep hearing conflicting things on clutch fill times. Some say to increase the values, others say to decrease the values. And another group says not to touch them as they represent what the trans should be doing, not what you want it to do.

Advanced Tuner
    Lower clutch fill times will make your transmission shift faster. And higher clutch fill times will make it shift slower. Example a .450s clutch fill time will complete the shift faster than a clutch fill time of .600s only change the fill times from 1-2, 2-3 and 3-4 however don?t touch 4-5 or 5-6 because they?re high load gears and it puts a lot of stress on the planetary. .400s is a really stout shift speed. But you also have to increase clutch pressure so you don?t risk slippage. Do me a favor and post your tune and I?ll give it a look transmission wise. I have the 5r55, 6r80 and 10r80 tunes pretty nailed down( minus the transbrake function) so I?m sure I can make some sense of the 6f55

Tuner in Training
    ^^^^ Sorry for the OT... but I?d love to hear some 10r80 information for firmer shifts. Other than changing shift character values...
    This is my signature... haha