Thread: so i killed 2 more pistons. what the hell.

so i killed 2 more pistons. what the hell.

what happened????????

log file and tune file.
    yell at me.

WHAT DID I MISS OR DO WRONG NOW.

this is the second time in less than 2 weeks. first time was my fault. timing was way off. brought timing back to what i was told to, went and did some logging for fuel trims to correct ve. and now this. what did i do wrong....
    Attached Files Attached Files
    "drive fast, take chances"
    "never let small minds convince you that your dreams are too big"

Senior Tuner
    You have 0'ed out your MAF table while leaving the MAF enabled in the tune bud. Above 2500RPM it is looking to exclusively use a MAF with 0 functionality. I think thay may have done you in man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG4LKjib3Ug

http://www.masterenginetuner.com/2-b...on-gm-lsx.html
    Last edited by MMGT1; 04-08-2018 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Added Links
    2000 Trans Am WS6

i have the maf fail frequency set to zero though... and i have it set to no mil light... should i set it to mil on 1st error? fuck am i going to be mad if thats what did this. seriously. ive had tons of people check over the tune including very knowledgeable tuners and they all said i should be absolutely fine with every parameter except the v.e. table....

Where are the pistons breaking?

How tight of ring gap are you running?

I can't see how much boost you are running because the 1 BAR map channel needs to be replaced with the 2 BAR channel. Also the computer isn't coming out of closed loop when you get into boost, so it's running lean. Then once you hit 75% throttle it swings way way rich down into the 9's and drowns it in fuel. Both ways are kinda hurting it.

I would lower the pedal enable to like 40-50% and let the MAP kpa enable of 100-110kpa be what brings it into enrichment.

VE tuning with your wideband should be done in open loop as well so you can fix it with your AFR or Lambda error. Disable STFT, LTFT and closed loop for that and set the OPEN LOOP EQ ratio to 1.00 (stoich) for coolant temps above 140.

Also weird that the knock sensors aren't picking up any major knock yet stuff is still breaking. You don't want the burst knock table at 0.00 either, you need it at 8.00 so it's not active otherwise BR is always pulling 8 degrees of timing from what I can see in the log.
    Last edited by 5FDP; 04-08-2018 at 07:03 PM.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

the first time it broke ring lands... and porcelain on a few plugs... and so far upon plug removal it has killed porcelain on another. which to me screams detonation... still... at 7.5* though?? im running an .028 ring gap as per instructed straight from the ring manufacturer for boost at the levels i plan to run which is around 15... im going to go through and change everything in the tune as you say it should be. i really do appreciate the help. im all for learning, but this whole learning by failure is costing me too much right now and im on a deadline as it is lol

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    Don't you mean burst knock of 8 will pull 8* and 0 will pull nothing

No and yes. I was referring to the enable cylinder air delta table.

The way it reads in the editor, it says that once the values of "X" is exceeded it will pull timing. So if the value is 0.00 it's always going to try and yank timing. So if you put it at 8.00g it will basically never exceed that value and pull timing.

But if you put zero in the RPM table next to enable cylinder air delta it will pull nothing as well. I guess you could just change the one table or both.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

well i changed some things up. hopefully these both look better haha. thanks guys. i have a bad bad feeling i was overboosting and putting too much faith into that damn digital guage on my pillar. aside from the obvious tune issues, turns out i only hurt one piston. same as the last time, killed the ring lands on cylinder 8. cylinder 7 has some obvious signs of detonation on the dome(has a couple small pits). luckily i caught it before it destroyed that one too or the rest lol.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    5F i was just trying to make sure you were talking about a different table than I thought I was looking at.

When I look at a 3D graph of your VE table, it looks like you have a LEAN trough working there. Is that dip intentional? It seems like the mixture would falter when it hit that trough, and then pick up even more fuel once it exited out the other side (if you think of the way the engine moves through the cells under acceleration).

im pretty sure something was messed up with the tune... no matter what i did with the ve table i could not get it to command a richer a/f ratio.... so now that i changed those few things 5F told me to change im hoping i can get the ve table dialed in better.

Senior Tuner
    I would change that Steady State entry in both RPM and MAP Threshold. From memory, a value of 2400RPM the PCM is going to try and use data from that MAF Table above 2400RPM, even with it being "non-functional" in the fail and lamp settings. Set the RPM value to 8K and the MAP value to max. Both values it will never see. It's how we have done it for years. I don't remember if it was Russ or RedHardSupra that had explained this years ago, but I never forgot it. Leaving those values as you have them is making me really nervous. Even if there is newer information that leads you otherwise, I would not leave those as you have them, no way.
    Last edited by MMGT1; 04-19-2018 at 10:49 PM.
    2000 Trans Am WS6