Thread: Monster Truck tough tune; Open Loop/ Speed Density the answer?

Arrow Monster Truck tough tune; Open Loop/ Speed Density the answer?

Hey guys, as always I've been provided some great advice In here so I have a few questions regarding a buddys truck I'm trying to sort out. Ill try to keep is short and sweet since there's a but of questions I have. *Truck is more of a big show boat so max power over 5k hits will be few and far between bc its just massive.

Base: The truck is an 03 Silverado straight axled on 38'' tires. This truck is lifted idk how high but the rocker sill is at my chest and I'm 5'9''. Truck has a forged 370, 243s (11:8:1) BTR stage 3 truck camshaft with Longtubes and true dual exhaust. Motor has Delphi 50lb injectors and otherwise stock fuel system. 0411 ecu. 4l80 trans, stock convertor, stock rear 3.73 gear. Truck needs way more gear to get it up to speed, also being straight axled its all over the road driving but I'm told that's normal. Trying to get good data is pretty damn hard bc the truck just doesn't drive like a normal one.

Tune: So yesterday I did about 4 hours of tuning on it. Granted I'm still learning and new, it seems to be getting better. I did a few partial throttle VE table changes and some Maf table changes as well. I'm using an AEM Uego to monitor AFR but its lean as hell at idle and is 15.0 or so cruise. I'm using the cig lighter setup to power my Wideband so it may need an offset correction as well. Still learning, bear with me lol.

Issues/Pointers needed: Ive been reading a lot and see that between the Camshaft/ Longtubes tuning this thing in Blended (Ve/Maf) is gonna be/has been pretty tough. I disabled STFT during Open loop, but haven't Disabled LTFT totally. From reading I'm understanding that by disabling the LTFT thus will command OPEN LOOP all the time to prevent PE from messing with AFR therefore making the truck easier to tune?

Ive seen a lot of people tend to fail the maf to enable speed density but is it better to apply code modification to the pcm when deciding to do Speed Density? Whats preferred and why? This truck isn't a daily driver but my goal is to tune it as well as possible. Any tune advice/pointers/suggestions are greatly appreciated. Just looking to get this thing figured out!

attached tune/scan below.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    A BTR S3 truck cam will almost run on the stock tune in a 370. Don't over complicate things. Run a MAF in closed loop. Even with a SD OS, assuming that's what you mean by code modification, you still have to fail the MAF to run it in SD.

As far as running it in Open loop I just need to diable the LTFTs for good and tune from there right?

Senior Tuner
    No.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    open loop:
    you need to find the closed loop threshold tables and raise the threshold for closed loop to a value that will not be obtained.
    if your using a wideband shut ltft controls off and disable the stft in open loop setting.
    if your using the gm o2's then enable the stft in open loop setting and ltft will automatically disable because it requires closed loop to be active. still have to use a wideband to tune PE or BE modes as the gm sensors dont get read under these two conditions.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

thanks CSSOB! I will be doing exactly that to get the tune sorted out. Also, your youtube vids are great, thanks a lot. Do you plan on doing any more maybe on 2bar/3bar stuff?