Thread: Question about vin numbers for v8 swap.

Tuner in Training

Question about vin numbers for v8 swap.

Hey all i have swapped a ls1 into a 2005 colorado. im running a e40 ecu and a t42 tcm. My question is does my vin have to match on the ecu and bcm to work correctly? Or can i change to the 05 colorado 2.9L 5-speed vin after the tune is flashed (tbss tune) so the ecu matches the bcm? Do you think the ecu will loose its mind having a 2005 4 cyl vin number and a tbss six liter tune? I ask because i bricked on brand new e40 already because of an 05 tune loaded into a 2006 e40. Pcm of nc said its killed and can not be recovered so before the new one gets here i would like to know the down-low on the vin situation. Thanks for the help if you are so inclined.

Senior Tuner
    Unless something has changed HP Tuners won't let you create a VIN/OS Mismatch.

Tuner in Training
    When i did the write entire hp prompt said os is different do you want to proceed? I hit yes because in my mind i was writing entire which means os and all. It took the tune and i was able to look at all settings in editor until i unhooked from it and bricked solid. I just need to know if i can change the vin after tune is loaded into new e40. this way the vin matches my bcm?

Advanced Tuner
    I'm running an ls1 pcm in my lt1. As far as I know HPT will not write a mismatched VIN but it will license the pcm If you input the VIN in an alternate way.
    Hope this relates to you question.