Thread: Cheap WiFi cameras ?

Tuner

Cheap WiFi cameras ?

How well would the less expensive WiFi cameras work with TA? Best Buy has some inexpensive cameras, like the Zmodo - Mini Wireless Camera for about $35. What I'm concerned about is the compatibility of the WiFi stuff, the field-of-view, and the resolution.

Right now (as of version 3.5), TrackAddict is setup to work with GoPro, Garmin VIRB, and 360fly cameras... There is unfortunately no universal method for controlling external cameras via WiFi, so this would not work with other WiFi-based cameras unless they had cloned the WiFi control scheme of one of these supported cameras, which is unlikely.

We may add support for controlling more camera brands/models in the future, but which ones are chosen is most likely going to be based on how many people use that brand/model, how reliably it would work for users, and of course how much development work we'd need to do.

Tuner
    The WiFi camera was just a thought, because mounting a phone or tablet in a high enough position to get a good view of the road or track may block your view, so a WiFi cheap camera could be mounted anywhere.

I used to use a notebook PC before I got an Android tablet. The notebook PC would record video from a Logitech webcam that I could mount anywhere, usually on the windscreen, using a custom bracket and a strong suction cup (dent puller.)

camera mount 1.jpg

Tuner
    My intent on using a WiFi camera would be in a static mount, with a fixed focus, just like the tablet's camera. Maybe that will help if you decide to accomodate more WiFi camera stuff.

BTW- is that ANY Go Pro camera, or are there differences? You can buy some for about $30 if you do some shopping.
    Last edited by guitarZ; 09-28-2017 at 09:48 PM.

Tuner
    Can you use anyof the GoPro cameras, or do you need to chose a certain model? I think there are about 8 different models as of March, 2018

Quote Originally Posted by guitarZ View Post
    Can you use anyof the GoPro cameras, or do you need to chose a certain model? I think there are about 8 different models as of March, 2018
    At the present time (v4.0), the HERO 6 will not work (I'm looking into that...), but most of the older ones should. Check out the list here, which I'll try to keep updated as we make more progress: http://racerender.com/TrackAddict/do...html#ExtCamera

Edit: I was mistaken... It turns out that the HERO 6 Black is already working. I went to revisit this issue today, and discovered that I had just made a small mistake back when I initially tested mine (had connected to its WiFi but didn't answer Android's prompt about it lacking Internet; it's not really connected until you do that).
    Last edited by Weston@HPTuners; 04-06-2018 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Good news... the HERO 6 does work afterall!

Tuner
    Well, since the goal was to locate the camera in a better location, and you can't access the video on the GoPro directly, I'll keep using the usual setup.