Thread: 2013 F150 tow tune

Tuner in Training

2013 F150 tow tune

Anybody have any experience with this? Towing a 5500 lb travel trailer, going to write a tune around that. Low elevation (around 500 ft where I live), stock truck except for an intake that was on it when I bought it used. Thanks

Advanced Tuner
    What exactly are you trying to do? just build a safe tune? power tune? if its stock it should handle it just fine without making any changes.

Tuner in Training
    Going to make a safe tow tune.

Tuner in Training
    Really just looking for advice on where to stop with boost, probably won't even mess with timing. Going to play with shift scheduling and tcc a little too.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by dsltech83 View Post
    Really just looking for advice on where to stop with boost, probably won't even mess with timing. Going to play with shift scheduling and tcc a little too.
    Generally speaking if you want a safe tow tune I would avoid allowing air loads above the maximum in the air load -> torque tables, basically don't redefine those tables higher. Also leave as many temperature protections in place as you can, don't just max the LSPI tables, pick whatever manifold temp you are comfortable running up to and only raise values in the lower temperature rows. I would also suggest trying to lave some temperature protections in place in the flange temp inv tables by limiting air loads at higher exhaust temperatures.

As for actual boost numbers that's going to be somewhat subjective, you're probably safe taking the boost increase in most canned tunes vs stock and aiming for halfway between the two. There is unfortunately no 'safe' number you can run up to where under it you'll be fine and above it you will cause a failure, every combination of engine components will have different failure points, you're just trying to run a tune that will limit the possibility of that occurring.

Tuner in Training
    Thank you!