Thread: How to convert DBW to Cable on a C5?

Advanced Tuner

How to convert DBW to Cable on a C5?

How do you convert the ECM on a C5 from DBW to Cable without having a christmas tree lightup on the dash?

Reason-120lbs injectors are scaled back to 60's so it doesn't hit the max 2.24 g/cyl and shut the computer down in 3 bar.
    GO RAIDERS!!!!!!!!!!

02 C5 Z06
    8.8@160

Not all the PCM's are DBC capable. You need 2 things:

1- IAC driver circuit present on the mainboard
    2- A compatible DBC operating system to flash your PCM

Open your PCM and look for the IAC driver, there are many pictures showing which one it is

Tuner in Training
    lt1 swap, has some photos of the dbw pcm swap.type in lt1 swap on google.

He's not doing a DBW swap. He's already got DBW and wants to convert to a cable operated throttle.

I've never done this swap before but have seen the opposite done on fbodies. I don't know if disabling the TAC module and codes would keep the BCM happy. I have a feeling that you would have issues with abs and stability control features since they rely on the TAC module for torque management. But in an application such as yours I'm sure some of those features are fairly useless anyway.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

There is no problem with BCM or TAC related codes, because you must flash the PCM with a DBC OS, so anything related to TAC or DBW TB will not exist anymore.

I have done this swap with good results. However, you need a suitable OS for it to work

Why couldn't you just turn ETC off in the system option's menu on the current calibration? If that didn't work maybe even find a 2002 C5 12212156 OS and do a segement swap for the Throttle section.. (Not sure which segement it would be in).
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

There is no segment swap for that, you are on your own.

Even if you can turn ETC off in current OS, the problem with a DBW OS is a lack of IAC control. As a matter of fact, there is the issue of rewiring the harness when you change from DBW to DBC

Advanced Tuner
    According to this thread, several people have been able to switch from DBW to DBC and vice-verse using the options matrix.
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...system+options

And, I believe all the BLUE/RED PCMs have the IAC drivers, while only some of the BLUE/GREEN PCMs do.

Advanced Tuner
    Keep posting guys-I think were on to something!
    GO RAIDERS!!!!!!!!!!

02 C5 Z06
    8.8@160

I know for a fact the drivers are there on the 99-00 C5 PCM's because I was running one in my Fbody of coarse with a 12212156 2002 Fbody OS also. So worse case if the options matrix doesn't work you could do a segement swap from the 12212156 Fbody calibration to get the IAC/TPS functions to work like the Fbody does. Out of all the segements in the program, one of them HAS to have the calibration data for the ETC. The easiest thing to do is wire up the IAC and TPS wiring to a mechanical throttle body un-select the ETC in the options matrix flash it and see if it'll start and idle. You should be able to tell really quick if the IAC works or not. Sometimes on a fresh install it will take a few key cycles for the IAC stepper to learn it's position.

I don't have my C5 and Fbody wiring diagram's in front of me but I'm pretty sure that the 4 pins required for the Fbody style IAC are un-used on the C5's. So the 4 wires can easily be added to the connector.
    ShorTuning

Tuner in Training
    I'm having this same issue with a 03 avalanche PCM swapped into a gbody MCSS. Starts up and idles just fine but cant give it any throttle. Can someone upload a fbody pcm tune I can flash it to or tell me where I can download one from??

Tuner in Training
    I figured it out...changed the platform type and zero'd out the ETC table and now everything works as it should....so far at least lol

Quote Originally Posted by streetcarheadquarters View Post
    I figured it out...changed the platform type and zero'd out the ETC table and now everything works as it should....so far at least lol
    Any updates ?
    Did you add extra wiring to your PCM to support IAC and TPS ?