Thread: Thought I would share my idea for easy interface - car connection

Thought I would share my idea for easy interface - car connection

Hi all- so some have asked me about this in the past. I know i am not the "first person" or innovator of this idea in general, just thought id share my method that i use here at the shop and on personal cars to connect easily to WB02's that are built into cars. This applies mainly to WB02 systems on my personal cars, or ones that I setup for clients on builds that need on-board WB02 monitoring. It is just a simple quick way to get the cable's interface on the laptop connected to the cars WB. So I used a 3-wire connector so I could use two channels if needed (like, i do monitor fuel psi on some gen 3's with WB02 on the HPT logging), as opposed to just a two pin for just the WB. I believe they were Delphi connectors, i bought a large box of bare, un-assembled connectors- male, female, and all the pins and seals, plugs etc. I decided to use the female on the cable i keep attached to my HPT interface, and use the male connections in the vehicle. Here are a look at the HPT cable, and one opposing connector as setup in a personal vehicle of mine. Being Delco, they have a spot for a "slide clip" to hold them in place (like your O2 factory sensor connectors should be to the trans, body, etc) so that leaves me able to cleanly use the x-mas tree clips with the slide clip on it (used on the car shown) for small holes in soft materials, and also the circle loom clamps if attaching it more hidden, to a cluster of wires under the dash.

My HPT interface:

and here is an example of the male side, in one of my cars:

SO as you can see, this makes it 1-2-3 easy to hook up from car to car, so long as I have thrown a plug into it. If i am going to spend a lot of seat time in a car off dyno, i will add the male connector to a vehicle that may have a WB02 in it already.

anyways just thought id put this out there for anyone it may help. i was inspired to do this by an old forum member friend, many years ago, who did it with a 1/8" headphone jack. i did try this first, and while it technically worked, if any of you are familiar with how those connections are made- they are meant to be very low gauge (like 20+ gauge) wire, and are super close to each other. also that made it a pain to do the female 1/8" ports on the vehicles, only benefit being you could pretty much flush mount it anywhere and it was barely noticable. but you cannot see mine, generally placed right behind the OBD2 / next to the OBD2 (depending on OBD's placement) yet you can easily reach down blind and plug in. any feedback is welcome, and if people do find this helpful, i could prob track down where i bought the big box of the connectors from and such. hell i may even build them for people if anyone is interested (not to make money, obviously its not gonna cost much lol- just to help out fellow tuners).

- John

I like it. I could use something like that. I have three of my own personal vehicles to tune and that would some in handy

How much would you do three for me for?

Quote Originally Posted by warriorpluto View Post
    How much would you do three for me for?
    im assuming you want 1x cable for the HPT interface, and 3x vehicle mounted connectors, correct? shoot me a PM

John

Potential Tuner
    Also interested in for enough to do 1 car (hpt side and o2 side)

Quote Originally Posted by Jae240 View Post
    Also interested in for enough to do 1 car (hpt side and o2 side)
    please send me an email regarding this, and i can help you out. johnk at kelleyperformance dot com

John

Quote Originally Posted by kelleyperformance View Post
    please send me an email regarding this, and i can help you out. johnk at kelleyperformance dot com

John
    email doesnt work. pm you