Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: possible solution to no transtuning 04 545rfe??

Tuner in Training

possible solution to no transtuning 04 545rfe??

By now we know that there will not be any direct support for the older 545rfes. BUT Super Chips Flashpaq Will tune the trans. Even better that same tuner will allow you to tune the with HPtuner and load them directly onto the hand held to load them into the vehicle. in order to do this you HAVE to READ the stock tune file from your vehicle and open it on HP then build your tunes before loading them back on truck. Soooo my question is this: If that super chip can read and program the 04 545rfe and I read the file with it and then open it on Hp tuners will I be able to see My transmission on the HP editor? and will I be able to make the changes? Using the Hp tuner it Does not even read or show that the trans is there. anyone with direct experience in this or Hp tuners staff THAT KNOWS FOR SURE. please any info will help. as it sits the HPtuner is nearly useless on the 04 ram it would be awesome if it can work

This thread is a few months old, but did you ever figure this out? If not, I can tell you what I've done, which is similar to what you were trying. To answer your question on being able to read your transmission in the Editor, the answer is, no you won't be able to see it.

Tuner in Training
    i too would like an answer. i have a 2002 dodge dakota that i am tuning but nothing in there for line pressure. part of the reason i bought the tune

Advanced Tuner
    Check out the latest beta. Some of the files I have with the 545RFE trans show tables that can be tuned now for shift scheduling, TCC lockup, etc.

Potential Tuner
    i'm looking for a solution to tune a 45rfe from a GC 2000 wj 4.7 v8.Does anyone know if HPtuners read this TCM? When i push "Gather info" it detects PCM and TCM.PCM reads ok, but when trying to read TCM shows error and doesn't read.i have 2 two options when selecting TCM to read ,NGC3 and GM ALLISON.any ideas?

For those of you that have been longing to view and program your 05-06 (and maybe earlier) 545RFE's, I've found the solution, at least for mine. For the past 10 years I have used the Superchips Advanced Transmission Tuning Application which, IMO, is a pretty good product. I still wanted more though so late last month I installed an NGC4 PCM/TCM out of an 07-08 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 into my 06 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7. I've got everything working and am currently messing with the pressures and up/down shift schedules. I have also inserted 2 Prime into the normal "Drive" shift schedule, which makes the 545RFE into a 6 speed and is absolutely fantastic. I don't know if it has to be the same type chassis or any other particulars except that it works on mine. Here's a link to my thread......not much response so far on it so maybe everyone has given up or figured out another solution.

https://forum.hptuners.com/forumdisp...g-Transmission
    Last edited by HemiX2; 07-14-2020 at 09:45 AM.
    Two (now Three) Hemi's, an 05 5.7 Magnum, an 06 300C SRT8 and an 06 5.7 Jeep Grand Cherokee, all somewhat modded. The 5.7's are modded almost the same with advanced (10* for Maggie and 6* for the Jeep) FRI Sidewinder cams/6.1 valve trains, ported/milled heads w/new valve seats, SC, DS and HP Tuners, headers, cat. backs, underdrive pulleys, SOS coils, catch cans, 90 mm throttle bodies, plus a bunch of cosmetic stuff. 06 300C SRT8, Comp. Cammed, HPT tuned, Foose wheels, 85 mm TB.

This is very interesting stuff. I'm going to look into it as I have an 04 Ram with 545RFE, and I'd like to make the trans operate a little better.

I answered your post on the other thread and, believe me, it'll work a whole lot better......almost too good.
    Two (now Three) Hemi's, an 05 5.7 Magnum, an 06 300C SRT8 and an 06 5.7 Jeep Grand Cherokee, all somewhat modded. The 5.7's are modded almost the same with advanced (10* for Maggie and 6* for the Jeep) FRI Sidewinder cams/6.1 valve trains, ported/milled heads w/new valve seats, SC, DS and HP Tuners, headers, cat. backs, underdrive pulleys, SOS coils, catch cans, 90 mm throttle bodies, plus a bunch of cosmetic stuff. 06 300C SRT8, Comp. Cammed, HPT tuned, Foose wheels, 85 mm TB.

Tuner in Training
    HemiX2, you don't have any improved transmission tunes based on the Ngc3 PCM/Tcm platform that can be shared on the HP tuner repository for us guys to use?

Quote Originally Posted by adronseika View Post
    HemiX2, you don't have any improved transmission tunes based on the Ngc3 PCM/Tcm platform that can be shared on the HP tuner repository for us guys to use?
    The HP Tuner won't read the NGC3 TCM. It just comes up blank. This coming week though I am planning to install my 2nd NGC4 PCM/TCM (I've got the first one about the way I want it and don't want to risk screwing it up) and then see what will happen if I load the data off my original NGC3 PCM/TCM and see if I can read the transmission then. I started to do it with the current NGC4 PCM/TCM but the HPT came up with a message that said something like, "the file you're trying to load is using a different operating system." That's when I figured I better not risk it and will try it on my other NGC4 PCM/TCM. I am first going to try to load my NGC3 files onto it and then do a back up if possible and then try to load the stock NGC4 files back in and see if I can go back and forth without any problem. I am thinking it'll work, but not positive, as it's just writing one program over another and shouldn't know the diffierence.....I hope. Anyway, so now I have my modified original stock NGC3 PCM/TCM and won't touch it, and I have my NGC4 PCM/TCM that is pretty much the way I want it, so I won't mess with it anymore right now, and then the third stock (so far) NGC4 PCM/TCM which will be my "guinea pig" for all the other "experiments I've been wanting to try. So far I am into this thing about $400-500 but, if I can get everything to work the way I want it to, it'll be worth it. The next few weeks should tell.
    Last edited by HemiX2; 08-22-2020 at 03:06 PM.

Tuner in Training
    I thought I remember reading somewhere that the NGC3 PCM/TCM files are all intertwined. I'm not quite sure if it's what Arottmann meant but wouldn't it be possible for someone to use (if they are lucky enough to have it), the advanced transmission tuning function on their superchips, create a upgraded transmission tune for that particular NGC3 and then use HPT to save the whole file (understanding it can't be accessed and changed in HPT) which SHOULD include the trans tune and send that to other people to use with their NGC3?

Tuner in Training
    And on a side note HemiX2, I'm running a Sidewinder cam too.. Would there be much to gain with a custom tune vs SC 91 tune with this set up?

Advanced Tuner
    Hemix2, if you're playing, you may want to experiment with the options of adding or removing controllers under the calibration details>controllers tabs.

It looks like, in theory, you could add the later TCM file to an early PCM file.

Or not?

Advanced Tuner
    Also, check out the stuff I posted in misc tuning about bench harnesses.....

How are you able to deal with SKIM when swapping PCMs?

I thought I remember reading somewhere that the NGC3 PCM/TCM files are all intertwined. I'm not quite sure if it's what Arottmann meant but wouldn't it be possible for someone to use (if they are lucky enough to have it), the advanced transmission tuning function on their superchips, create a upgraded transmission tune for that particular NGC3 and then use HPT to save the whole file (understanding it can't be accessed and changed in HPT) which SHOULD include the trans tune and send that to other people to use with their NGC3?
    Yes, that might work, but the receiver of the file just wouldn't have a clue what they're loading since they can't see it. They'd also have to expend two credits just to see if it works or not. Don't think I'd want to gamble on that crap shoot. Also, everyone's preferences on shift schedules and torque management settings is a bit different.

And on a side note HemiX2, I'm running a Sidewinder cam too.. Would there be much to gain with a custom tune vs SC 91 tune with this set up?
    The Sidewinder in my 5.7 Jeep is advanced 6 degrees and the one in my 5.7 Magnum is advanced 10 degrees to give them a slight bit more torque down low. It's probably not that noticeable without doing before/after dyno testing, but I do know that, according to the Comp Cams folks, advancing the cam timing does move the horsepower/torque curves to a lower RPM.

Years ago, on the Jeep, I found that the SC 91 tune worked quite well and the air/fuel ratio and timing were such that the A/F ratio at WOT was 12.8:1 and the timing was such that I rarely got any Knock Retard (KR). Since installing the NGC4 PCM/TCM, I've installed and modified (with the HPT) the Diablosport 93 octane tune. I have the WOT fuel mixture for all RPM ranges set to 12.7:1 and the timing set so that I get just a little momentary KR on initial WO throttle application.

To answer your question, I think the HPT modified 93 tune works a little better than the SC 91 tune and, for sure I am getting much more MDS active time and better fuel economy with it. I think what your goals are should be your guide as to what type of tune you're using. For years, when the SC 91 and the DS 93 tunes were pretty much the only games in town, they were "adequate" but, now with the HPT, they can be improved on. For you to go with a custom tune, you'd have to either pick up a Diablosport Tuner and have someone do a CMR tune for you (those two things would probably run about $600-800 for a new tuner and the CMR tune), or have someone do a custom tune for you that you can use with your HPT. Even then, depending on your mods. and your goals for the vehicle, you'd probably have to do at least several different versions until you got everything set up the way you want it. I have just chosen to use the DS 93 tune as a starting point and modify them to suit my needs and desires. As far as engine tunes go, I now have pretty much the same tunes on all three of my Hemi vehicles....two 5.7's and one 6.1, but I still periodically tweak things a little.
    Last edited by HemiX2; 08-22-2020 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spoolboy View Post
    Hemix2, if you're playing, you may want to experiment with the options of adding or removing controllers under the calibration details>controllers tabs.

It looks like, in theory, you could add the later TCM file to an early PCM file.

Or not?
    Yes, I've been messing with some of those settings. Having the wrong settings for the different controllers was the cause of some of the DTC's I was receiving. It's interesting though that even with them set wrong everything seems to work as it should. Two of the more interesting ones were the U0100, "Lost communication with PCM" and U0101, "Lost communication with TCM and FDCM". These codes were always stored and not active and everything worked as it should, right from the beginning. On those two codes, I've finally shut them off using the HPT.

I think you're right, I should be able to read/write files back and forth from the NGC3 and NGC4 PCM's. I won't be trying the NGC4 files on the NGC3 PCM/TCM though as I don't want to risk screwing anything up on it. When I pulled it, it was working exactly the way I wanted it to. I will try to use the NGC3 files on the NGC4 PCM/TCM though and report back with my findings.

Also, check out the stuff I posted in misc tuning about bench harnesses.....

How are you able to deal with SKIM when swapping PCMs?
    I saw your thread on the bench harnesses but haven't had time to read the references yet.

Strangely enough, I didn't have any problems with any of the Security components. I think, as part of the PCM change procedures in my Autel MS906BT, it initializes the SKIM so the vehicle will start. When I change the next one I'll write down all my procedures and post them up. On the first one, I think I caused some of the issues/codes by not knowing what I was doing and also there were a few real or coincidental problems that I had to address. I am hoping the swap to the second PCM/TCM will go a little smoother. We'll see.

Advanced Tuner
    I just picked up Launch x431 Diagun V. It supposedly can do the same stuff as the Autel, but it's harder to figure out (at least for me). I've been able to write a VIN and mileage but still having a shutdown after 3 seconds so I must have missed something.

Tuner in Training
    Hemi2x.. Once you have this sussed, you can build them and sell them to the rest of us!

I just picked up Launch x431 Diagun V. It supposedly can do the same stuff as the Autel, but it's harder to figure out (at least for me). I've been able to write a VIN and mileage but still having a shutdown after 3 seconds so I must have missed something.
    You're having a problem with the SKIM Module and security system. If you can change the VIN and mileage, there should be a routine on your scanner to set up the security system too.