Thread: Override limits

Advanced Tuner

Override limits

Just confirming since i've read about it here and there but under CSL and other limits, is it safe to override the numerical limits that HPT has set in the VCM?

Tuner
    The short answer is no. The limits in those tables are the maximum values they have that will still flash stably. If you put a value in that is outside the range they have outlined it has the potential to brick the ECU.

Obviously that doesn't happen every time, but unless you know for some reason that exceeding their value range is safe you're better off not doing it. In most circumstances there is a different way around combustion stability limiting. What vehicle are you running into the issue with?

Advanced Tuner
    not really having any issues at the moment just doing some preemptive research. I figured it wasnt safe like i said. but how would i get around the 65inhg map limit for CSL?

Tuner
    If you start running into the combustion stability limit the easiest way to circumvent it is to raise the maximum torque to enter CSL above a value you'll be able to achieve. Ie: set the minimum torque table to enter CSL to 650 ft/lbs and the max torque cells to 700 (assuming those are all available on your vehicle's strategy).

If/when you hit it as a limit source feel free to post up a log/tune or at least screen shots of the editor and scanner in the applicable areas.

Advanced Tuner
    Makes sense. So I would use a scalar to get around it correct? And I will if I run into anything!

Tuner
    It depends on strategy, there will be scalars, but on some strategies the minimum torque is technically a table (with like 5 cells).

Advanced Tuner
    where would that table be located? this is what im showing on a 2015 mustang.3.png

Tuner
    This is the table I'm talking about that some strategies have. This is a '16 2.7 F-150 using beta 3.7.1667, if you don't have the beta that could potentially be why the table is not showing up.

min brake torque.jpg

Advanced Tuner
    Odd, I have the latest beta and it's not there. not in this strategy. So in this case how would I get around it?

Tuner
    Have you actually run into this limit with your tuning? The tunes I've done on the first gen ecoboost ECU's you can generally get around any actual limit by just raising the values in that section, the second gens just have more values that need tinkered with. If you are being limited do you have a log you can post?

Tuner in Training
    I was facing this limit too.
    The limit will cause my pedal to go dead for few seconds.
    I would like to completely disable this limit. The car was for track only.
    Log attached

pull4.hpl

Tuner
    We are working on a 16 st with a 58 mm turbo and are work towards unlock or turning off all boost or limiting of any kind