Thread: help with gm hot cam tune

Potential Tuner

help with gm hot cam tune

I've been working on my friends 5.7 swap chevy that has a hot cam and was tuned from a shop my friend complained of having idle issues car would surge pushes when driving and stalls, basic driveability is non existent, ive gotten some of the idle surge issue to disappear but car is still acting up. car is far worse with o2 sensors on need any help if anyone can look over the tune and help it would be great. also as of lately the map sensor would start to act up reading 70+kpa at idle causing the car to fall on its face then it would come back and act normal it was very erratic. i posted the base tune that was from the dyno shop and then my ve file with the maf and o2 turned off
    Attached Files Attached Files

I was comparing your tune to a stock 2002 F-body.. All I can say is that I would START OVER with a completely stock tune. It will be much easier, and faster, to just download a completely stock tune and either copy all the files over manually, or do a segment swap, or use the show differences/copy/paste function to get everything back to stock. Then, look up this guys videos; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_2g...4Igjgtfb4TxnTR and it will get you to a point where you can have it idling. After that, you will need to use a W/B to tune your VE table as currently your VE table is ALMOST STOCK EXCEPT FOR JUST A FEW CELLS. The current VE table you are using will be excessively rich in the idle range, and will not want to idle without hunting, or surging, or stalling. I can't believe that someone on a dyno gave you that first tune. Maybe all they checked/set/adjusted was Full throttle stuff? Your RAF (base running airflow) #'s need looking at as well.

Do you have a W/B O2 sensor integrated into HP Tuners yet? Have you verified that there are NO air leaks/vacuum leaks/exhaust leaks on the car? If it's a fresh installation, or the engine has been opened up, or headers installed, recently, I'd start checking for air leaks all over the entire engine.

Potential Tuner
    Yes I do have a wideband and did run russk scans for the RAF, as far as I know there are no air leaks owner of the car is just tired of the hunting idle and I was hoping it was going to be an easy adjustment and car would be fine I really wanted to avoid starting over on the tune. I did notice that the car continue wanted to add to the vehicle table at one point I had cells at over a 100 in very low kpa region numbers I would expect from wot pulls on a turbo car, but the car started giving me map issues would start reading high 70kpa at idle for no reason then would sit there and bounce back to around 45kpa after 30 seconds to a 1min of almost stalling I had the owner of the car change the map with hope of it clearing up that issue

The high KPA readings at idle could be a result of timing swings. The PCM will try and control idle by increasing idle ignition timing. You could log your spark advance to see if it ties directly to the spikes in KPA. My guess is that it will. When you get the RAF, VE, MAF, and adaptive idle stuff sorted out, then you can focus on the timing.