Thread: 2006 5.9, my first tune: is it ok?

Tuner in Training

2006 5.9, my first tune: is it ok?

i researched where i could and took the info that was already posted in here. i stayed within the 20% upscaling recommendations. i think i added this to all the relavant fuel main injection dose and pulse tables. i live in florida so i only changed the both pedal maps, and the full throttle transient and high density tables. i zeroed out the post injection dose table. i added main injector timing in the low dose/mid rpm range. it feels really great while cruising and the exhaust sounds different, better in fact. i bumped the part throttle line pressure mid-rpm range. i did a few other things like enable my pto function and general smoothing of some of the huge dips in the factory fueling and timing maps.

would you guys be able to have a look at my map and my logs, let me know if i should let this tune ride or if i should make changes in any parts? is there any other areas in the main soi timing transient and high density that will benefit from changes? im curious if i should bring from the the negative values to positive with some advance.

so far, im loving this... and its making me wonder where that extra $800 went for my edge juice cts2 when i could have just bought the insight.

oh and this truck has a fass150 set to 40psi, he351 wicked wheel, 5" turbo back, S&B intake, Torque diesel motorsport S1 injectors (90hp). The log doesnt show the egt but i did watch it get up to 1500*F. so should i expect some advice from you guys about turning back the fuel? im not sure how cr trucks are run with regards to egt's. ive ran my 12v trucks this hot but that was the top of 4th. this thing hit 1500* by 70mph.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by flubyux2; 04-22-2018 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by flubyux2 View Post
    oh and this truck has a fass150 set to 40psi, he351 wicked wheel, 5" turbo back, S&B intake, Torque diesel motorsport S1 injectors (90hp). The log doesnt show the egt but i did watch it get up to 1500*F. so should i expect some advice from you guys about turning back the fuel? im not sure how cr trucks are run with regards to egt's. ive ran my 12v trucks this hot but that was the top of 4th. this thing hit 1500* by 70mph.
    Hi,

You're off to a good start. The EGT is very high because you dont have enough main injection timing in it. Try using one of the timing calculators that are on the site. Think about how much timing you were running on the 12V truck... you were probably fixed timing everywhere at more than 10 degrees, probably closer to 20 degrees, so why is your tune full of negative numbers?

-Mike
    2003 305/555 QCSB Cummins
    Piston/rod/sleeve/fire ring/dual CP3/300 overs
    Super Stick NV5600
    S366/S480

Tuner in Training
    thanks for the feed back.
    thats based off the stock tune and i only worked on the fuel tables.
    i have made two new tables with more timing in the Main injection events. nowhere near as much as a 12v, say in the 18-20* realm. but im getting it up into the single digits of advance. my only question is; how concerned should i be of the pilot timing? should i leave all that where it is and only tweak the main tables? im willing to change the main timing into the high teens if itll clean up my exhaust and cool down the egt's.
    also i did pull some fuel out of the pedal map since it seemed to have a fair amount of pre-boost fueling and was sort of thick up top even at 43psi.
    i really appreciate the hints!
    this thing actually moves out of its own way in spite of my 40" super singles and 3.73's

thanks for the feed back.
    thats based off the stock tune and i only worked on the fuel tables.
    i have made two new tables with more timing in the Main injection events. nowhere near as much as a 12v, say in the 18-20* realm. but im getting it up into the single digits of advance. my only question is; how concerned should i be of the pilot timing? should i leave all that where it is and only tweak the main tables? im willing to change the main timing into the high teens if itll clean up my exhaust and cool down the egt's.
    also i did pull some fuel out of the pedal map since it seemed to have a fair amount of pre-boost fueling and was sort of thick up top even at 43psi.
    i really appreciate the hints!
    this thing actually moves out of its own way in spite of my 40" super singles and 3.73's
    You can leave the pilot tables alone for the most part. I like to smooth them out, but I havent found a large difference unless you're really pushing the main injection event, which you arent.
    You'll find that since it's governor based fueling, the part throttle tables have less control than you think, so to limit pre boost fueling, I like to use the boost limit table. Really cleans up everything a lot.
    And dont be afraid to see high quantity high rpm fuel up past 18-20 degrees, thats perfectly fine.
    Super Stick NV5600
    S366/S480

Tuner in Training
    Great info!
    I did apply an overall smoothing to the pilot tables but didn't change the timing.
    The main timing I bumped up to about 10* and it drives so effortlessly. It used to feel labored or like the converter was too loose. I had about 7-8* at idle and it felt rough so I backed it down to about 4 and its smoother. But I'll go ahead and keep bumping up the timing on the main maps. The exhaust is clearing up but I still have a strong cloud in the pre-boost and I'm recording 70mm at 1600rpm and 55% tps. I'm trying to back that down on the transient pedal map. Like you said, it's governed and I'm not fueling more than 138mm even though my pedal maps go higher so I don't see a reason to even bother commanding over 140mm at 100%tps.
    I did change my wg shaft speed map too. I basically scooted the low rpm cells to the right and down and I think it's tricking the wg solenoid to hang at 75% farther into the upper rpms. I can't find a way to raise the wg sol dc limit and it won't go higher than 75%. I feel like I could get better low rpm boost response if I could keep the solenoid closed.

Great info!
    I did apply an overall smoothing to the pilot tables but didn't change the timing.
    The main timing I bumped up to about 10* and it drives so effortlessly. It used to feel labored or like the converter was too loose. I had about 7-8* at idle and it felt rough so I backed it down to about 4 and its smoother. But I'll go ahead and keep bumping up the timing on the main maps. The exhaust is clearing up but I still have a strong cloud in the pre-boost and I'm recording 70mm at 1600rpm and 55% tps. I'm trying to back that down on the transient pedal map. Like you said, it's governed and I'm not fueling more than 138mm even though my pedal maps go higher so I don't see a reason to even bother commanding over 140mm at 100%tps.
    I did change my wg shaft speed map too. I basically scooted the low rpm cells to the right and down and I think it's tricking the wg solenoid to hang at 75% farther into the upper rpms. I can't find a way to raise the wg sol dc limit and it won't go higher than 75%. I feel like I could get better low rpm boost response if I could keep the solenoid closed.
    Just set the soleniod minimum value to where you want it to be.
    Super Stick NV5600
    S366/S480

Tuner in Training
    i bumped up my turbo wg dc to 85% min.
    took a little RP out of the rpm/fuel rate area that i thought was too smokey and also reduced the boost limit fueling which is the table i believe you were referring to earlier.
    i bumped my Main timing up to about 18-19* as well on the transient, steady/high, and steady med-high tables.
    i think im going to run this tune for a while unless i uncover any quirks while driving on this one. thanks for all your help.

edit: i think i have too much timing down low. it was making a pretty bad clatter while cruising. so i removed some main timing in the mid range and lower fuel rate. i think i was spraying outside of the bowl. i left timing in it up top though, 100+mm rates and over 2800rpm
    Last edited by flubyux2; 04-25-2018 at 07:57 PM.