Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How The Distance Tables Work

Advanced Tuner

How The Distance Tables Work

I?ve seen a lot of questions asking about VCT Distance Tables and how they work on the 2011+ Fords. The tables are located in Airflow > Variable Cam > Mapped Points and Distance tables. Knowing this information, you can adjust everything correctly, adjust spark tables and get your cam angles set up appropriately for when you reach Optimum Power load/pedal %

I'll be using Mapped Points > Fuel Economy as my example, but all the distance tables follow the same concept. This table works with IVO and EVC tables. You shouldn'/ NEED to adjust the IVO/EVC mapped point angles, but they can be changed. When you change the IVO/EVC mapped point angles, your spark will likely need to be changed due to too little or too much timing. When you change the VCT Economy DISTANCE Tables, your spark will also need to be changed, especially in the lower loads of the table. You will have knock retard!!
    The Mapped Point assigns the IVO/EVC Angle, and the Distance table assigns the cell location by RPM and Load.
    Attachment 78728

I have two stock calibrations with what appears to be different distance tables because calibration 1, axis 0, first cell is 0. The second calibration, axis 0 is set to mapped point 10.
    Attachment 78734

The following picture is calibration 1, you will see IVO and EVC angles with the addition of one for example.
    Below that is VCT Fuel Economy Mapped Points. This is the mapped point cam angle you will be assigning in Economy Mode. Axis 0 is calling for Mapped Point 0 (IVO - 0, EVC - 0) in the cam angles, axis 1 is calling for Mapped point 1 (IVO - 0, EVC - 10) in the cam angles, etc.
    VCT Best Fuel Economy Distance is the main table for cam angles, spark tables, which everything will be called for.

VCT-Example-1.JPG

The next picure is calibration 2, it begins with mapped point 10 (IVO - -30, EVC 0) instead of mapped point 0. Next in line is is mapped point 0,then 1, in numerical order until mapped point 7..
    Basically, the mapped point table is telling your distance table
    0 = 10
    1 = 0
    2 = 1
    3 = 2
    4 = 3
    VCT-Example-2.JPG

Comparing the two, they are off by one across the whole table. These two cars will drive exactly the same until 4500 RPM low load, decelerating, letting the vehicle down rev. Calibration two will be in mapped point 10 with IVO -30/ EVC 0, calibration one will have IVO 0/EVC 0 as "0 = 0"

comparingthe2.JPG

These tables can be adjusted for optimum power and for fuel economy. You can adjust the distance tables for your Optimum Power cam angles. You will build up load faster, get to Optimum Power faster and have the cam angles at the correct angle before you are in Optimum Power.

Looking at the distance table for 1500 RPM/20% load, there is a "2" in the cell. Look at your VCT Fuel Economy Mapped Points, we have a 2 = 2. Requesting for mapped point 2, IVO - 0 and EVC - 20.
    mapped_point_2.jpg

At 3000 RPM, the cell has 2.5 from 20% load. 2.5 is calling for a split between the cam angles you have set on the Fuel Economy Mapped Points. In this case, the IVO is the at the same resting degree for both mapped points 2 and 3. The EVC on mapped point 2 is 20, and mapped point 3 is 30. Now we split the .5 and our EVC angle for 2.5 is 25 degrees.
    mapped_point_2.5.jpg

The cells that are calling for 5.5 will split the angles in mapped point 5 and 6.
    Mapped point 5 ----- -10 30
    Mapped point 6 ------ -20 40
    Our cam angles will be IVO -15 and EVC 35.
    mapped_point_5.5.jpg

I made an excel file and took a picture to help those that don't understand distance tables and decimals.
    mapped_point_excel=1.JPG

I've hit the picture limit. I will post more examples of getting my cam angles set up for OP, fuel economy and how to adjust the spark tables,
    I've been able to get 27MPG on my s197.
    The 2015+ Mustangs are able to achieve 30+ MPG STOCK, so there is still room for improvement. They are a little more difficult to set up for OP because of the new phasers Ford added to the s550's that will allow -20 max IVO advance, (not sure of the max retard of the IVO) I know the IVO can retard 30 or 40 degrees so if your IVO is at 30 and your EVC is at 40, you will have to advance IVO 40 or 50 degrees very fast when getting your distance tables set up for OP. It is possible to do for sure.
    Hopefully this post will help some get a little better understanding of the distance tables.

Small up date in more recent posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwhite5.0 View Post
    Update to the first post.

All your Distance Table Mapped Points have a axis that begin with 0. 0, 1, 2, 3 and so on. The axis is your distance. You can not change the distance. The cells are what you change, these are your mapped points. You assign the mapped point's distance in each VCT Mode.

This is from 2016 Mustang GT.
    In the Fuel Economy Mapped Mapped Points.
    Distance 5 has mapped point 5 assigned to it.
    Distance 8 has mapped point 20 assigned to it. Any where in that that particular distance table you have an 8, know that it will have some kind of percentage in mapped point 8.
    Attachment 83279

The decimals show a percentage. the percentage will always be the amount that is leave your current mapped point into your next mapped point. The percentage will never reverse or skip other than what you have assigned next along the distance table, unless thresholds or conditions are met for a different VCT Mode.
    Attachment 83280
    Attachment 83283

Blending constantly happens. When your in between RPMs and Loads or transitioning to a different schedule.
    Attachment 83284

Attachment 83285
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Thatwhite5.0; 09-09-2018 at 02:17 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    great info thank you

Advanced Tuner
    Great read and examples. Thank you!! I look forward to the next post.

Senior Tuner
    Throwing things into excel and getting a visual of the interpolation is very useful in many parts of the tune. Especially when things like rate of change or smoothness come into play. These condensed tables help the ECU's processor, but leave a lot of holes. Getting the values and resolution where you need it is very important to achieve your goals.

Your values in the spreadsheet on the exhaust side between 8-9 and 9-10 are wrong.
    Last edited by murfie; 05-06-2018 at 05:09 AM.

Can you elaborate on the specific changes you made to get better cruising fuel economy?

I'm also interested on VCT tuning for better OP torque with a PD blower. Coyote Cookbook did not get into any of that. The Roush calibration makes about 2 psi less boost everywhere compared to the FPDX0A8 strategy I use now. It appears to be because of blowthrough though, not a higher trapped aircharge. Roush OP IVO -40* vs -14*.

Advanced Tuner
    id like to know as well as I drive my s550 140 miles a day and a lot of highway cruising if I can get the mpg up during cruise would help out especially the way gas prices are headed

Advanced Tuner
    Sure thing

I have some more to post, once I get back to my laptop back, about fuel economy, a little bit about spark on gen 1 and 2 coyotes.

CS86
    Did you find your strategy on the forums for your roush? I find have either of the strategies. Are you wanting better OP angles or better distance tables right before op.

That's a good distance to drive, you'll be able to get real good data..
    Last edited by Thatwhite5.0; 05-08-2018 at 04:25 AM.

My tuner had started with a Roush base. I'm not sure if it was the same Roush575 file in the repository or not. I was never happy with the throttle response of that calibration. Very non-linear.

CS86
    Did you find your strategy on the forums for your roush? I find have either of the strategies. Are you wanting better OP angles or better distance tables right before op.

I know this thread is more about using distance tables to tune part throttle cam positions, so we could start there. Any OP angle suggestions for a PD blower would be appreciated too.

Here are some averages I see at a couple different cruise speeds:

60 MPH cruise: (shuffling between MPs, MP2 and MP9 get used a good amount)
    Abs. Load = 19 - 23%
    Ex Cam: 19 - 21*
    Int. Cam: (-0.5) - (-10*)
    Spark: 40 - 45*

80 MPH cruise: (almost 100% MP2)
    Abs. Load = ~34%
    Ex Cam: ~20*
    Int. Cam: -0.3*
    Spark: ~42*

Advanced Tuner
    A lot of people search for better MPG when tuning their cars. Adjustment of these tables are simple. It?s just a matter of the right angles/loads/rpms.

The first gen coyotes are easier to achieve better MPG. The second gens will get more miles per gallon but are a little bit more difficult. You can change either axis for fuel economy gains, but it really depends on your driver technique.
    People drive different but the path of the distance tables follow a path like one of the spark table. The load increases more than the RPM.

fueleconomy_cruising_travel1.JPG

I?d target 1500 ? 2000 RPM, 20% to 40% load.
    On the first gen coyotes, you want as little overlap as efficiently possible. Your IVO should be resting at 0 and your EVC should be retard more as the load rises and as you accelerate. Try and drive so your load stays 15% - 40%. I found my EVC around 10 to 15 degrees was getting better MPG going 65 mph.
    I recommend using "calibration one" as I called it, mapped points (0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7) . Calibration two began with mapped point 10 (10, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6). Just a preference for simplicity. It?s very easy to understand where your EVC should be at on cal 1. If I have a value of 1.2, my exhaust will should be 12 degrees. If I have a value of 2.8, my exhaust will be 28 degrees. You can have it easy until you reach 4.0, 40 degrees. At 4.1 your IVO will start to advance and by 5.0, you will have IVO -10, EVC 40

Then you can begin testing. Our driving, gearing, mods, most of our cars are different. It?s some what trial and error so if you do this make sure you have a few hours or are using your own car. Record your result and keep track of which tune you are on. I would flash my tune, go to the highway and reset my MPG on the highway going 65 and cruise the highway. Take note of my results and what the file was called and make some more adjustment. Then I'd do it again. Make sure to look at your load and EVC because you maybe just need to lower a couple of cells out of them all. I did highway driving because I can use the same road, same directions and same speed. One could test city driving.
    These are just some examples. You can adjust which ever column you cruise at. Rather it?s 1 column or 4. Get ready for some knock retard on your datalogs.

First Gen 5.0
    distance_5.JPG

Second Gen 5.0
    On the S550, you'll want to retard both cams to reduce blow back, reduce emissions by VCT EGR to increase MPG. Try and keep it under 40% load.. I haven?t done the same kind of testing that I did on the first gen. with in a few adjustments to the distance tables, this 2016 was seeing 34 MPG. You can even adjust the IVO and EVC vs VCT mapped points. Mapped point 4 has IVO 40, EVC 35. You could adjust EVC to 40 or change the IVO to 35.
    fuel_s550_.JPG

Spark Knock
    Timing will always need to be adjusted when you make changes to the distance tables. The distance tables control timing and which borderline/MBT table will be used.
    Sometimes you will have knock retard showing in cells spread across or spread with the load increasing. If you?re only adjusting the distance tables between a certain RPM/ load. You know the knock retard is in a specific area. You can pull timing using the weighted mapped points in the datalog. Sometimes the mapped points aren?t correct, or the weights don?t appear correct.
    If we had 2 degrees knock retard at 1500 RPM 35% load. We?ll go look at our distance tables and see we have 1.8 in the cell. Then we?ll look at our borderline 1 and 2 and MBT 1 and 2. A 1.8 in the distance table means it?s 80% in mapped point 2. You can pull 2 degrees in that cell or you can split it 80% mapped point 2, 20% mapped point 1.
    2-mapppointknock.JPG

CCS86, I don't have the same strategy file as you do but your getting MP9 a lot going 60 because of the order your VCT Economy Mapped Points, 9 = 5 on your distance tables. 5 : 9, 9 = IVO -14, EVC 20. Anytime you're 50% - 70% load or between 50% load and Optimum Power, You will be in those angles. You never see more than 30 retard on your EVC. I bet there is some changes to that for you to gain when launching in WOT. With yours being boosted it's easy to lose boost with too much overlap. I'm not sure of your OP angles but there are always gains to be made with VCT.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Tuner
    Don't forget IMRC on the 2015+. They effect the MBT spark values like they did on the 06-10, there's just not a modifier for it, its now spread out across the MPs. As you can see it helps keep the MBT low, and therefore the minimum value that is used, and raises the borderline value. This puts you at the optimal spark advance value for higher loads(.4-.6) leading to better cylinder pressure and better gas mileage. They also help you put the intake cam in a more retard position. You want this to decrease the length of the compression stroke. Compressing takes power. You then want to retard the exhaust cam to increase the power stroke. The longer the pressure is pushing on the piston the more work you are extracting out of the fuel. Of course you cant go too far with the exhaust you will run into too much overlap and reversion. You want a cylinder full of fresh air and fuel not hot burnt exhaust. Headers and a free flowing exhaust helps a lot.

06-10 BDL and MBT IMRC.PNG

I'm looking forward to digging into this!

Do you have a log file of cruising that we could take a look at to see it in action?

I can see now why I have been primarily seeing MP0,1,2 and 9:

Economy-MPs.png

It looks like my biggest gains might be at cruising speeds under 80 mph, where my intake valves were advanced and causing more overlap (because of MP9 use).

On the OP side of things, these are my current settings. What do you think about them for a PD blower?

OP VCT Settings.png

Advanced Tuner
    You can add mapped point 3 to 3 and make 9:4 and 5:5. Just to try it out.
    Did you have a log of a WOT pull? I'm sure there are gains to be made in your OP.

vctexample.JPG

distanceexample.JPG

getting_angles_set.JPG

getting_angles_set2.JPG

Sweet. Here is my first pass at the econ settings. I followed some of your advice on these settings, then blended the distance table a little to smooth out transitions.

Econ-MP.png

Here is a good WOT log:
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    Try This and check your inbox.
    subtract spark from 0 - 4 in the pic and from op in the pic
    if your loads are
    0.1 0.35 0.55 0.75 0.9 1.1 1.3 1.5 1.7
    CCS86.JPG

Try This and check your inbox.
    subtract spark from 0 - 4 in the pic and from op in the pic
    if your loads are
    0.1 0.35 0.55 0.75 0.9 1.1 1.3 1.5 1.7
    CCS86.JPG

Thanks! So far I'm not running into and spark knock, but I have softened some knock prone areas already.

Is disabling snap to point forcing more continuous MP blending? Is that for testing purposes, or do you like to leave it set that way?

Same question for disabling the other MPs... just for testing, or to leave there for simplified tuning?

What is the reasoning for setting #5 to MP9?

Here are a couple cruising sections after my first VCT changes. I haven't had a chance to really test economy differences yet:

50 mph
    50mph.png

65 mph
    65mph.png

WOT log with new OP IVO:

Advanced Tuner
    I haven't seen your file so really i'm not sure how yours is set up. The roush file that I pulled from the repository had the snap to points disabled like the picture. You can turn the snap to points on for those mapped points. The mapped points being disabled were also in the file I had which you don't necessarily need 5, 6, 7, 8, and 10. If you're using another VCT schedule mode like emission reduction that use mapped point 10, keep it turned on.

We assigned 40 degrees retard on the evc in mapped point 4, then we changed 5 to call for mapped point 9. These distance tables were for a fuel economy example. I haven't seen an actual log of how it's running or your driving techniques. Some people shift at 2000 RPM, some people shift at 3000 RPM.. With the WOT log in mind, you did a 2000 RPM launch on that datalog, so if you look at your distance table at 2000 RPM, your car is having to flow through 4 mapped points to get to mapped point 5. These are highway/ fuel economy areas. Flowing through those points won't happen in higher RPM as if roll racing.

I'll draw up some more examples of a new one I just did with 9 in mapped point 5 to show you what exactly the cams will be doing. I also changed EVC mapped point 9 to 16 degrees.

DISTANCEexample2.JPG

I also made another one with 9 in mapped point 4 and changed mapped point 9 EVC back to 20.

distanceexmpale3.JPG

I haven't seen your file so really i'm not sure how yours is set up. The roush file that I pulled from the repository had the snap to points disabled like the picture. You can turn the snap to points on for those mapped points. The mapped points being disabled were also in the file I had which you don't necessarily need 5, 6, 7, 8, and 10. If you're using another VCT schedule mode like emission reduction that use mapped point 10, keep it turned on.

We assigned 40 degrees retard on the evc in mapped point 4, then we changed 5 to call for mapped point 9. These distance tables were for a fuel economy example. I haven't seen an actual log of how it's running or your driving techniques. Some people shift at 2000 RPM, some people shift at 3000 RPM.. With the WOT log in mind, you did a 2000 RPM launch on that datalog, so if you look at your distance table at 2000 RPM, your car is having to flow through 4 mapped points to get to mapped point 5. These are highway/ fuel economy areas. Flowing through those points won't happen in higher RPM as if roll racing.

I'll draw up some more examples of a new one I just did with 9 in mapped point 5 to show you what exactly the cams will be doing. I also changed EVC mapped point 9 to 16 degrees.

DISTANCEexample2.JPG

I also made another one with 9 in mapped point 4 and changed mapped point 9 EVC back to 20.

distanceexmpale3.JPG

My stock tune was using MP10 for emissions reduction. I currently have that disabled. It looks like once the car is warm, the most emissions reduction gets used is in pushing around halfway between MP0 and MP10, which would move the IVO to about -15. I'm happy to leave that disabled if it really is just a compromise to improve emissions.

The stock Best Economy mapping does use MP10 in position 0 as well, but that looks like it really only gets used during decel, and very light cruising loads. Maybe this is probably also for emissions purposes too?

Here is my tune and a log of some various cruising.

Advanced Tuner
    Mapped point 10 has an EVC of 0 but the IVO is -30 creating an EGR. You can keep it disabled, I do in mine
    See, you don't have very much to worry about on your intake cam because of your IVO degrees during OP. Anything more advance than OP you technically don't need because you'll never be requesting those mapped point angles.

You're requesting mapped points that are disabled in your file.
    Your car is switching back and forth between MBT and borderline spark tables. Its making a wave shape going to the higher MBT timing, then back to borderline.
    bordermbt.JPG

Now that you've adjusted distance tables you're retarding the exhaust cam shaft more than you were before. At .5 load, you have the EVC at 40 degrees You can work on bringing it back to closer to your op. If you look, right before you got WOT, your exhaust is around 40 degrees and the intake is pretty much at the correct angle so your exhaust is having to blending through mapped point 3 and 4 to get down to the correct angle for OP.

You can change mapped point 9 EVC to your OP EVC also.

capture2.jpg

Mapped point 10 has an EVC of 0 but the IVO is -30 creating an EGR. You can keep it disabled, I do in mine
    See, you don't have very much to worry about on your intake cam because of your IVO degrees during OP. Anything more advance than OP you technically don't need because you'll never be requesting those mapped point angles.

You're requesting mapped points that are disabled in your file.
    Your car is switching back and forth between MBT and borderline spark tables. Its making a wave shape going to the higher MBT timing, then back to borderline.
    bordermbt.JPG

Now that you've adjusted distance tables you're retarding the exhaust cam shaft more than you were before. At .5 load, you have the EVC at 40 degrees You can work on bringing it back to closer to your op. If you look, right before you got WOT, your exhaust is around 40 degrees and the intake is pretty much at the correct angle so your exhaust is having to blending through mapped point 3 and 4 to get down to the correct angle for OP.

You can change mapped point 9 EVC to your OP EVC also.

capture2.jpg

Ahh, I see what you mean! I went ahead and reassigned the Econ MPs to avoid disabled ones, like you show.

I also made those Econ distance table edits you showed. I'm curious about this section here. Is there a reason you left the 5000 column, low load distance values so low?

VCT-Dist.png

When you say to set the MP9 EVC equal to OP, obviously there is a range of values in OP. It looks like setting MP9 EVC to 15 would help blend into WOT, right?

VCT-OP-MP9.png