Thread: How to change my tune from Dual Fans to 1 single, 99 LS1 ECU

Tuner in Training

How to change my tune from Dual Fans to 1 single, 99 LS1 ECU

Hi there,

I searched for a while last night and today and can't seem to find an answer to my question. I thought it would be fairly straight forward, but for some reason it doesn't seem to be something I can find searching. I have a 1968 Camaro that I'm running a LS6 cam only 5.3 and running a modified tune with a 99 LS1 computer. Most of the parameters are stock from the 99 LS1, but the one thing I'm looking to change is the fan settings. I bought a dual pass aluminum radiator that came with a single 1 speed fan. What I would like to do is simply hook up the one fan right now and am unsure how to accomplish this? Can I simply change the drop down menu in the fan section from 2 fans to AUX? I couldn't figure out what the AUX meant exactly. I currently don't have A/C, but I do plan to in the future, so I would need to have something to trigger the fans to kick on too.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
    Ryan

Senior Tuner
    Depends on what fan wiring harness you are currently using.

Tuner in Training
    Hi there,

Thanks for the reply, but I'm not entirely certain what you mean? I currently don't have the fans hooked up, but was planning on using a typical 4 or 5 pin relay. I was also considering using maybe a 4 and 5 pin relay in conjunction with the A/C activation in the scenario where the fans weren't on but the A/C was on. Is that what you are asking?

Thanks,
    Ryan

Tuner in Training
    Go to the system>fans tab, set the drop down for fan type to aux fans, and set the fan 1 on off temp to the speeds you want them at.

As for wiring with the AC if you run a trinary switch instead of a binary, you can get away with a single relay since you can have the trinary send a ground to trigger the relay just like PCM does. If you want to use just the binary switch then you will need a second relay to reverse the +12v signal that used to trigger the compressor clutch.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ryeguy2006a View Post
    Hi there,

Thanks for the reply, but I'm not entirely certain what you mean? I currently don't have the fans hooked up, but was planning on using a typical 4 or 5 pin relay. I was also considering using maybe a 4 and 5 pin relay in conjunction with the A/C activation in the scenario where the fans weren't on but the A/C was on. Is that what you are asking?

Thanks,
    Ryan
    Since this is in a 68 Camaro I'm assuming you are either using a modified stock GM harness or an aftermarket. Both would usually have the fan wiring incorporated it them with 3 relays controlling 2 fans where they either both run low speed or both run high speed. That's why they use 3 relays to either configure them in either a parallel circuit or series circuit. If you don't have any fan wiring then just wire in a single relay control to the fan 1 PCM trigger output and set the temps for fan 1 accordingly. Make sure the relay can handle the current draw of the fan and fuse the circuit accordingly. You can wire in a 2nd relay triggered off the A/C compressor to turn the fan on with A/C.
    Last edited by 2xLS1; 04-26-2018 at 10:21 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the responses. Yes, I am using a modified 02 truck harness that I re-pinned to match the LS1 ECU. I currently have the two high/low trigger wires coming from the ECU to trigger the fans. They are un-terminated and waiting for me to make up my mind. I recently did when I bought the dual pass LS swap radiator with single fan. I was planning on running a 40 amp relay to trigger the large single fan. I will likely use the trinary switch when I convert to VA at some point in the future.

So is it safe to assume that the AUX from the drop down is what you would use when swapping to a single fan?