Thread: Timing question

Tuner

Timing question

Would it hurt anything if you set your timing tables straight across like a crank trigger setup where you have full timing all the time? I know with large cams in serious race engines that they idle and respond better set up that way.
    1998 Pontiac Firebird
    NA 3.8L V-6
    [email protected], 1.65 60'
    7.91@85 1/8th
    Abbott Racing Heads and Engines

I've found that most cars Idle fine at teh same amount as WOT

its fairly safe if you want to push 28* across the board to get it going...but beware that down low in the rpm range with load its gonna want drastically less...some cams even wants a few degrees negative on timing at higher load low RPM's

but anything above 2400 it really shouldnt matter too much....

again..just watch for knock in lower rpm high load areas...
    -Scott -

Would it "hurt"? Yes it would. You would more than likely see a massive amount of KR and put the car in "limp" mode. Timing on a V6 wether it is FI or natural is a major point in any tune. Because the "Air Pump" (a.k.a. engine) is so much different than a V8 it is imperative that the timing tables be true and not spoofed.

Pushing a straight accross triming timing table will result in one thing - problems. Even though the V6 has the advanyage of Excellent KR sensors, they will only compensate for so much. I have my car cammed, and had a real hard time finding the right timing curve based on my other mods. Timing, fueling, and pe tables have a large effect on these cars.

Here are some examples:

Stock for a 2001 Regal GS:

And mine, cammed , IC'd, 3" exhaust, lots-O-Mods:

I totally didnt notice this was v6 land...DOH...

timing is much more picky on v6...28 would probably be a lot of timing up top for a v6....
    -Scott -

Quote Originally Posted by soundengineer
    I totally didnt notice this was v6 land...DOH...

timing is much more picky on v6...28 would probably be a lot of timing up top for a v6....

Yeah. For a NA tune with major mods, 28* is no big deal. 28* on a FI on top would be suicide!

ANY more than 18 - 19* with a FI V6 would be big problems. A friend of mine has a 11.6 second GTP with a 2.6" pulley, all the mods in all the right places, a 75 shot (wet) of nitrous, and yet he sees 15* of timing on top. There are so many things to consider in a tune for these V6 cars that it is almost an art.

The V6 cars are a lot different in tuning.

Tuner
    What I don't understand is how one goes about setting up a timing table in a half-ass timely manner without having to go from cell to cell trying to find the max you can run? Also, saying I did get a timing table set up how I like it, when I get to the track, would I add/minus 1* of timing to the whole table until it either gets KR or it stops running quicker ET's, or would I have to keep it all within a certain range?
    Last edited by WickEdSix98; 07-25-2006 at 09:43 PM.
    1998 Pontiac Firebird
    NA 3.8L V-6
    [email protected], 1.65 60'
    7.91@85 1/8th
    Abbott Racing Heads and Engines

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by WickEdSix98
    What I don't understand is how one goes about setting up a timing table in a half-ass timely manner without having to go from cell to cell trying to find the max you can run? Also, saying I did get a timing table set up how I like it, when I get to the track, would I add/minus 1* of timing to the whole table until it either gets KR or it stops running quicker ET's, or would I have to keep it all within a certain range?
    The timing table fields used under WOT are basically the last 2 columns. In the scanner, use the histogram for timing and KR and you will see exactly which fields you are hitting at WOT. Those are the only ones I messed with, I left the rest stock since they only get hit at partial throttle.
    92 S10 3800 A4

Advanced Tuner
    i just add 1* of timing (in every cell), do a test run, and take out timing in whatever cell gets KR.... easy

Exactly. What I have done is add 2* to all cells. Run a 1/4 mile run, and remove timing from the cells that experienced KR, and then smoothed the table.

If you are FI be carefull, as temps will cause a lot of variations in timing. Also be sure your (if sc) has a good tight belt and is not slipping. Running on a slipping belt I got 22* up top, then when I swapped it I saw 11* of KR on the first run.
    Regal GS Site Owner / HPT Moderator / FTV6 Mod