Thread: N/A 3.5 tuning?

N/A 3.5 tuning?

Has anyone tuned the N/A 3.5 V6? Stock is 290 how, and HPT doesn't have access to my strategy yet. I was wondering how much timing advance can be done with E85 or maybe E20 to E30.

Advanced Tuner
    Yea I’d like to get a little more out of my wife’s 13 edge

Is your wife's 13 Edge supported by the latest beta? My 18 Explorer can't even have its stock file read by HPT. I'm just curious on the stock BKT and MBT tables. I've been able to squeeze a lot of timing with the use of E30-E47.

Advanced Tuner
    Not sure I just bought my hp tuners vcm today so I have a lot to learn about all of this, will try it and see if it will read.

FYI the stock 2018 XLT 3.5L N/A V6 flows about 26-28 lb/min max, not very impressive. I added some timing in various load/RPM regions to improve driveability, but the engine still lacks a lot of low end grunt and high end power.

If anyone has any tuning ideas/strategies for the N/A 3.5 to share, please post.

I've been working on this for awhile, and the N/A 3.5 V6 seems to handle a LOT of timing advance on 87 octane. I mean a lot. Like near-MBT levels at WOT without any detonation/knock using Costco 87 octane fuel. I massaged the timing to improve launching, there's still a lot of bogging below 4000 RPM in 1st gear. I can chirp the tires off the line. But once it revs up, it is fairly decent - about the same as a stock 2003-2004 Marauder maybe a tuned 02-up Crown Vic. I know if this engine was in the Crown Vic, it would have made that car a lot of fun to drive. The stock 6750 RPM+ shift points lets the engine really scream. I've had more Chargers/Challengers try to race me in the XLT soccer-mom mobile than when I had my Mustang GT.

In retrospect, I really really really wish I had gotten the 2.3L EcoBoost. It would have much more tuning capability and doesn't have the dreaded internal water pump issue in the transverse 3.5L V6

Metroplex,

Any chance of you sharing your timing tweaks?

I know I've read my 13 stock setup. Hopefully gonna see about improving some driving from the throttle adjusts