Thread: bf zf6 internal vss

Advanced Tuner

bf zf6 internal vss

so in fg zf6, the factory speed source is '44' for the zf6 internal vss.
    I had a thought, would it be possible to add the same speed source option to a bf tune so it references the zf6 vss...
    but, I have no access to a bf zf6 to test this on.

anyone that has access to a bf zf6 they've already licenced feel like either emailing support the request with the OSID?
    or post here and Ill email them.

am curious to hear any thoughts

Tuner in Training
    hey mate

what do you need - just a tune file?

Advanced Tuner
    nah not a file, just someone that has access to a bf with a zf6 to test a tune with the vss set to 44 like in fg.
    would need the OSID for the tune they're using so we can email support and ask them to add the fg vss option.

fg zf6 and 5spd auto don't use the abs/tcs, the zf6 uses the internal sensor over canbus, so I wanted to see if adding that vss option to a bf tune would allow the bf zf6 to use the internal oss to make conversions easier.
    atm ppl doing engine conversions with bf zf6 need to run the abs module or a separate speed sensor using pin b7.

hope that kinda makes sense? lol is a bit hard to explain like this.

Tuner in Training
    fuck no it doesn't make any sense

That's cool though, I am still very much a beginner. Send me a pm with what you need me to do, I'm happy to help out and learn along the way. It seems the tune repository has been given the arse - you wouldn't happen to have a stock tune file for an xr8 BF series 2 would you?

Advanced Tuner
    i think ive only got series 1.
    the tune repository being removed has blown my mind tbh, can't understand it, it's gonna fuck a few ppl i'd say.

basically the fg can read the speed sensor in the zf6, bf cant. fg has an extra vss source option specifically for zf6 cars which references the internal sensor, not abs.
    bf references the abs for a speed source in all models. i'm thinking just adding the extra fg vss source for zf6 to a bf tune will be enough for bfs to reference the zf6 internal speed sensor.

how'd i do this time? lol
    i'll take some screenshots later which will help.

Potential Tuner
    looks like speed source 44 & 45 have been added in the new version
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by oldtinfords; 06-09-2018 at 12:39 AM. Reason: add attachment

Tuner in Training
    Yeah, I asked them to do it. Apologies to Misk, I have been unable to try it out yet.

Tuner in Training
    BF ZF6 will still change gears as normal without any speed input form OSS ABS, TCS, or even modifying the VID block, this will stop not stop it changing gears, you can no longer log speed, or display it tho.
    Proven this on my own test car. Physically disconnected all wheel speed sensors, pin B&7 is not populated
    Last edited by 80gus; 06-12-2018 at 03:43 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    hm wasn't aware of that, thanks.
    it would still be good to retain an actual vss reading as in conversions the vss out (pin b36) can be used to feed a speedo - it just outputs a 12v square wave pulse.
    a mate sent me a vid of someone driving an fg with abs unplugged and I'm fairly sure the speedo was still working, but haven't been able to verify that personally.
    would make sense though, fg 5spd auto and zf6 both having specific vss sources.

Tuner in Training
    no problem, i had to do one once that needed the output, they had a commodore wheel speed fitted to the output shaft input to pin B7, calibrate to suit, this conversion car still used a BF dash. so that was the easiest way

Advanced Tuner
    ive done it in e-series barra swaps with a btr that has no speed sensor using an abs wheel speed sensor on a rear wheel as an input to b7, calibrated in the tune and then used the vsout on b36 on the factory speed sensor signal wire.
    pretty handy to have that as an option and would be mega convenient to do both bf and fg zf6 swaps in a similar way but without an external vss source.

Tuner in Training
    misk, that was probably my video of my 2010 FG with abs module disconnected everything worked as normal, as it uses the internal ZF speed source for the pcm which feeds the cluster etc.

Advanced Tuner
    probably was, I cant see there being too many vids of that specifically lol.
    when I saw the vid I wondered why no one had tested it like that before!

Potential Tuner
    Misk, you may be able to help me with this one, FG series one turbo and FG series two turbo ZF auto pcms, both have the provision to change VSS source to 44 but FG 1 and FG n/a ZF do not. Is there a way I can get the option to change VSS in the n/a pcms?
    Also I do have access to a BF T ZF car and multiple PCMs if the BF ZF hasnt been worked out yet.