Thread: Can an ecm be flashed too many times?

Can an ecm be flashed too many times?

So I have this ghost problem I?ve been chasing. I just cannot pin it down. I?ve glashed this pcm many many times. If I had to guess it would be several hundred. If not, thousands. Like I?ve had the car over a year and pretty much every time I drive it it?s getting flashed several times. One because I had an issue for the longest that it would learn itself bad from a vacuum leak. Then I?m always making changes to the car. Just trust me when I tell you?ve it?s been flashed a lot. It?s a 2004 gto. The phantom problem is it will get stuck at .4% throttle randomly. Using it happens if I rev it a few times in neutral. Then it won?t even idle. I can turn the tps back some and it won?t ever go to zero. It just wigs out and starts reading higher. Ive bought several new sensors including a factory one. New Nick Williams throttle body. New maf. Changed the iac. Checked wiring. Cleaned out the plug with a micro Wire brush. Shake the wiring and it don?t change. It used to be able to be remedied by doing a tps reset but now it?s taking me having to reflash it. Ecm bad you think?

Tuner in Training
    Flash ram does have a limited number of write/erase cycles, but you would be talking hundreds of thousands if not millions of cycles.

Advanced Tuner
    Have you tried putting the stock tune back in?

Quote Originally Posted by gottogo View Post
    Have you tried putting the stock tune back in?
    Well the car definitely won’t run with the stock tune. It’s got heads and a decent cam. Maybe I could open my original file back up and manually carry over all the import changes? (Ve, maf, raf, trans and idle and spark).

And should I do a write entire? I was thinking about using the real time tuning. So maybe I could save a copy of my stock file. Then open up the file in rtt and then tranfer stuff over.
    Last edited by KFXGUY; 04-28-2018 at 09:43 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Don't do a write entire. Just calibration data.

I can't tell you about RTT, not familiar enough with it.

Thanks. You replied just in time. I had just finished copying everything over. Basically I opened my original file and copied all my stuff over I know I needed. I’ll see how it does tomorrow. I pray this fixes my problem because it’s getting quite annoying. I want to turbo the car but if I can’t get it to stay running correctly then I’m not wasting my time doing it.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by KFXGUY View Post
    Thanks. You replied just in time. I had just finished copying everything over. Basically I opened my original file and copied all my stuff over I know I needed. I’ll see how it does tomorrow. I pray this fixes my problem because it’s getting quite annoying. I want to turbo the car but if I can’t get it to stay running correctly then I’m not wasting my time doing it.
    I was having some really random issues on my 04 Silverado. Did a Write Entire after I realized the Throttle Body was doing strange stuff. Problem went away and never came back.

Advanced Tuner
    I believe a Write Entire is when the ECM is most susceptible to bricking, so writing Calibration Data only is the recommended method. Maybe Bill or somebody can chime in.

I did a write entire for a enhanced OS so maybe it will fix my issue