Thread: ZL1 Remote Tune or Tune Myself

ZL1 Remote Tune or Tune Myself

Good afternoon all,

This is my first post on this forum and I hope I am in the right place. I have a 2017 ZL1 A10 that is lightly modified ( 2" headers, 9.10 lower pulley, ported throttle body and a Rotofab intake) and tuned by a local shop that does not do GM cars very often. Anyhow, I want to buy VCM Suite Pro so I can learn how to tune my own cars. However I have never tuned a car before and don't want to start from scratch and screw something up. I was considering having a remote tune done by someone that has done these cars before. I know it takes 9 credits and the TCM unlock but the tuner I am considering using says he also needs 9 credits since he will be doing it on his computer. Guess I don't understand why because his computer will never interface with the car. Is him needing credits correct? How dumb of an idea is it for a total greenhorn to learn how to tune on this car. I have a 2016 Silverado I could play with first if that is easier to learn on. Any help is greatly appreciated. Let me know if this should have been posted somewhere else.

Thanks in advance for the advise,
    Travis

Working with my own zl1 now similar mods buy the stuff and can help you out some. I am fighting a slight issue now but so far car feels very strong.
    First 9 second 6th gen lt4 zl1 stock blower SHC SBE boost only.

2013 cadillac ats 2.0t Big turbo-gone
    2007 tahoe 5.3 lsa blower on 14 lbs boost 6l80e swap 2009 os
    2017 zl1 a10 big gulp/2 inch headers/ 9.55 lower/ e85/bigger hx /103mm tb / Synergy trunk tank and underhood kit/methanol injection with torqbyte controller and prometh pump / Jokerz performance R&D ported stock blower/ lme cnc heads /GP tuning custom cam. So far 9.30@150

You would be jumping straight into the most advanced computer that GM offers right now for the V8 platform, so if you've never done anything before this will be the hardest thing to learn on.

Your truck runs the same style of computer/programming and would be easier to learn on being stock but it's still no cake walk. Ideally learning on a GEN 3 or GEN 4 computer first would be better because they are more basic to get the normal stuff down. The GEN 5 stuff is a much different ball game with the airflow model and torque model that is uses.

To edit any file it requires a license. So if you license it, it will cost you those credits and then if a remote tuner has to license your files to edit them there comes the extra cost.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by lt1z350 View Post
    Working with my own zl1 now similar mods buy the stuff and can help you out some. I am fighting a slight issue now but so far car feels very strong.
    Thank you for the offer. I am going to buy the stuff. I would really appreciate your help! Think I can figure it out if I have a good base line to start with. Do you think it worth it to pay someone to get it on the right track or do you think we can figure it out. I am wiling to compensate you for your time.
    Last edited by Travis S; 04-29-2018 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    You would be jumping straight into the most advanced computer that GM offers right now for the V8 platform, so if you've never done anything before this will be the hardest thing to learn on.

Your truck runs the same style of computer/programming and would be easier to learn on being stock but it's still no cake walk. Ideally learning on a GEN 3 or GEN 4 computer first would be better because they are more basic to get the normal stuff down. The GEN 5 stuff is a much different ball game with the airflow model and torque model that is uses.

To edit any file it requires a license. So if you license it, it will cost you those credits and then if a remote tuner has to license your files to edit them there comes the extra cost.
    That was my fear. To advanced for a novice. I think I can do it but don't want to screw anything up. I think I need to pay someone first and watch what they do so I can learn from there