Thread: 2000 S10 Xtreme 4.3 Vortec

Potential Tuner

2000 S10 Xtreme 4.3 Vortec

Hey everyone, I am looking to tune my S10 Xtreme. I have already set the torque reduction to 0 and removed the speed limiter. I am still very new to tuning and don't know what to do to get the most performance. Any help would be great! I would like to know what I should do to gain some performance and how to do it. I am using the latest version of hptuners and I have the pro version. Thanks!

Tuner in Training
    I would start by using a wide band to tune the Maf and VE separately. Make sure to change both VE tables the primary and secondary. Make sure to tune fuel before changing anything else. Once those are tuned you could probably lower the Power Enrichment points to come on at a lower rpm and to come in faster by lower the ramp in. I know with my truck the pe tables were set for 89 percent throttle across the board which unless I put the pedal to the floor I was never going to hit. That alone on a stock truck made a big difference. Which torque tables did you zero out? Which wide band do you have interfaced into hptuners? What have you done performance wise to the truck; gears, intake, exhaust, and or cam?

Potential Tuner
    I got the pickup built for racing, in fact it used to have a nitrous system before the rebuild. What is in it I am unsure other than a built transmission and racing clutch and aftermarket fuel pump. I zeroed out the torque reduction tables to zero on everything under the normal tab. I don't know how to lower power enrichment points and I don't know what pe tables are or where to find them. I need quite a bit of help!

Read.

That is about the only thing that can help you. By someone just saying what to change or do won't really help if you don't understand things yet. Buy a book or two and possibly look into a newbie course through a vendor. ERM Performance offers a nice course for new learners.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    I got most of the terminology just don't know where to find them in this tuner software editor. Any direction would be great!

Potential Tuner
    Also would like to know how to edit the OS? I don't see any OS options even with advanced options enabled. Any advice?

If no OS option is available in the OS tab, that's all you get. I would guess your truck runs a much older computer where that type of support will never be offered.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Best thing to do is play around with the scanner before doing any serious tuning

Scaning for knock retard is essential. Scan the timing. If you have zero knock retard at full throttle, then you can add timing slowly and gain power. Wherever you see knock, back the timing off a little till the knock disappears. This way the pcm will not be subtracting timing loosing you power.

Setting up the scanner is most important. Playing with the scanner is ideal at the beginning.

There are many things you can do to make the car more aggressive with out adding timing. The transmission is a big part of it and you need a clear head to figure things out.

Go slow. SCAN SCAN SCAN.

Most of the stuff that's relevant is self explanatory in HP editor.

Figuring out how to tune a car from scratch is not something that happens swiftly. There is a reason why there are tuning courses.

Also very important is to make sure the car is 100% perfect mechanically. For example... you can have knock retard because a shitty spark-plug WIRE that is very easily overlooked because the wires could be almost new.... but you never know. Top notch mechanical maintenance is essential.

Potential Tuner
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...g2?usp=sharing

Those are the files. If anyone can help it'd be appreciated.

Look into a possible vacuum leak or exhaust leak on bank 1 before the o2 sensor. Your long term fuel trims are very high on that side and needs to be addressed before you do anything. +16 or even close that is a pretty strong sign.

Log more data. Add commanded AFR, knock retard, burst knock.

You could adjust the power enrichment settings some. Lower the TPS vs rpm enable from 89% down to like 60%. Lower the RPM delay to something way lower like 1,500rpm. Increase the enrichment ramp in rate close to 1.00 to bring in fuel faster.

You may be able to play with timing but it may depend on your location and fuel you choose to run. Honestly don't expect anything world changing on a stock 4.3, maybe 10-15hp is a guess. It needs a power adder to make it worth anything.