Thread: Pros and cons for wideband with/without a gauge

Potential Tuner

Pros and cons for wideband with/without a gauge

I'm in the middle of picking out a wideband kit and wanted some opinions about the pros and cons of having a gauge or not. The two kits in question are the AEM X series (30-0300 and 30-0310) One has a gauge (my understanding is the 0300 has the controller built into the gauge) and the 0310 is an inline unit. When I tuned by buick years ago I had an aem unit with no gauge. Just used the laptop to datalog AFRs and had a display in the tuning program (megasquirt).

Now years later I'm back in the tuning game with my s10 but can't decide if I want/need a gauge to tune. I can still datalog results and see the on-screen AFRs through the laptop....but am I missing out on benefits with a gauge? Is the gauge just another part to possibly fail in the future? I need to also find a spot somewhere to mount this thing. The price difference also makes me wonder if one is better than the other ($230 for the 0310 and $170 for the 0300). Not that price is the ultimate factor...just need opinions from people using gauges or no gauges. Thanks.

Tuner in Training
    I've done it both ways. The gauge is only useful if you want to glance at afr's when you are driving and don't have your laptop with you.