Thread: Saving tune from another vehicle

Tuner in Training

Saving tune from another vehicle

Hello all,
    I'm as green as one can possibly be to all this, so be gentle.

I'm in the process of a LS3 conversion in my Jeep. I have purchased the Pro version of VCM Suite. My Jeep is not running yet, so I haven't used the VCM either.

A buddy of mine has the exact same crate LS in his jeep which is already running. Same E38 and trans. What I'd like to do is use his tune in my vehicle for start up and break in, because I know it works. I'm really wanting to put a few miles on my vehicle before taking it in to the tuner and strapping it down. The entire drivetrain is brand new (engine, trans, transfer case, axles, gears, brakes), so breaking in all this stuff before hammering on it would be nice.

My questions are:

1. Will letting him use the VCM first lock it to his VIN?
    2. Would I just have to use up a couple credits to do this?
    3. Can this be done at all?

Any clarification about how to do this would be greatly appreciated.

Do not license his tune file, that is just wasted credits.

If both computers/controller are exactly the same only license your file and copy over the information from his. Copying over information is free and will be the easiest and fastest way to use the tune he has in your computer.

So download and save your file, that will cost you the license for that computer. Then you can read his computer and save as to like your desktop or a folder. Open your tune, then open his with the compare feature. From there you can use the compare options to copy over his information. Read up on that.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Ok, that's good news. Thank you.

Another question, if you don't mind.

The E38 I have, I bought from GM brand new, so it doesn't have anything in it to license. My understanding is that I'll need to ship it to someone that can program it (with a VIN) before I do anything. Is this correct? Then I can License it and do as you said in your post?

Correct.

Have the dealership flash it with a calibration that matches the engine/wiring harness/sensor etc etc or if you know someone that can flash a new blank computer. Then you could read it and license it.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    That's the plan then.

Thank you for taking the time to explain.