Thread: 24x SBC conversion - Wiring for sensors

Tuner

24x SBC conversion - Wiring for sensors

Hi All,
    I am having trouble finding this answer, so I thought this would be the best place to ask the question and have the answer available to everyone, as it is a gap in the info available about this.
    Edit: I've added the answers to these in the post.
    Crank sensor data is direct from Mike at EFI Connection.
    Vortec Dizzy info is from vortec 96-00 design pinout.

Question 1:
    Using a Vortec distributor as the Cam Position Sensor, and looking down the connector at the pins, are these the correct wiring diagrams?

Answer:
    C= 12v (Red 39 on 0411 PCM)
    B=signal from dizzy (Blue 73 on 0411 PCM)
    & A= Low Reference / ground from PCM? (Blue 61 on 0411 PCM)

Question 2:
    For the EFI Connection supplied 24x crank sensor, is the below diagram correct?

Answer:
    The above picture is just for visual purposes to determine the A,B,C pin allocations.

Cavity A must receive 12V.
    Cavity B must be connected to ground.
    Cavity C is the signal wire. You will test for signal voltage on this wire.

The EFI Connection supplied crank sensor is a 96+ Vortec style design, the pinout on the above image is for the LS1 style which has different pinouts for the same connector.

ADDED: Question 3:

How critical is the alignment of the vortec distributor working as the 1x cam sensor?
    As I understand it, this 1x sensor is purely to let the PCM know whether the cylinder (determined by crank sensor position) is on compression or exhaust stroke.
    If this is not properly aligned, would it cause the motor to not fire up at all?
    And lastly, when the motor is at TDC on cylinder #1 on the compression stroke, and the distributor is fully seated, where should the markers in the distributor line up with?
    Last edited by evilstuie; 05-03-2018 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Added Answers

Advanced Tuner
    Give me some time and I'll try to confirm your pinout to mine later tonight.
    97 ext cab short bed silverado 5.7 411 swap, edelbrock 29135 intake, lightly ported 906 heads milled .035 thou. factory press in rocker studs & rockers, comp 787 retainers & stock locks, ls6 springs. Comp cams 08-503-8 T56 swap

86 SWB crate vortec 5.7/th350 The wife's truck

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Oleblu View Post
    Give me some time and I'll try to confirm your pinout to mine later tonight.
    Fantastic, thanks for that.

Advanced Tuner
    From my pinout notes you have the correct pins for both sensors signal and low reference. I'm not completely sure what crank sensor they supplied you but surely it's the same one supplied with the vortec type front cover? As for power to sensors any ignition on power should easily handle the task. Just make sure it's an ignition on 12 volts and on during cranking.
    97 ext cab short bed silverado 5.7 411 swap, edelbrock 29135 intake, lightly ported 906 heads milled .035 thou. factory press in rocker studs & rockers, comp 787 retainers & stock locks, ls6 springs. Comp cams 08-503-8 T56 swap

Tuner
    From my pinout notes you have the correct pins for both sensors signal and low reference. I'm not completely sure what crank sensor they supplied you but surely it's the same one supplied with the vortec type front cover? As for power to sensors any ignition on power should easily handle the task. Just make sure it's an ignition on 12 volts and on during cranking.
    Sorry I meant I need to know which pin is supposed to receive to supply to the sensors/dizzy)
    I know which pins are putting out 12v and ground, as I can trace them back to the PCM, and check the pin on the connector with the ignition on, but if I put 12v into the ground or signal on the sensor, there's the potential to kill it.

There is a definite difference in pin locations between an EFI crank sensor, vortec sensor, and LS1 sensor, but I can't remember which pair are the same, and which is different
    It 's also quite possible there's a difference in the pin locations between a ls1 cam sensor and a vortec distributor.

Advanced Tuner
    Part number of your sensor?

Tuner
    Part number of your sensor?

Advanced Tuner
    As far as I've searched that's the same vortec sensor they use in all post 96 applications.

Tuner
    hmm...
    well I've got spark, fuel and air, and the car doesn't want to start.
    With a 408SBC, 28lbs injectors, AFR heads and XFI280 cam, would a express van crank/spark and fuel table be sufficient to at least get the motor going?

Advanced Tuner
    What have you done with running airflow? Still stock.

Tuner
    HSR Intake with 58mm arizona marine throttle body, mafless with a pod filter.

Advanced Tuner
    No what I mean is have you left the base running airflow stock or have you tried raising it to get the engine to start. Also have you adjusted cylinder displacement for the 408ci. Another thing I'm willing to bet is your going to be running out of injector on the top end.

Tuner
    Ah,
    Yes displacement has been increased as has the base airflow.

Not too worried about top end, this build won't see much past 5500rpms