Thread: start and stall after calibration write

Tuner in Training

start and stall after calibration write

I recently had an issue with a 0411 pcm I had put in my truck and it would not start at all, I went back weeks later and wrote the tune in the pcm with the write entire option again. it started, I drove it, parked overnight started again and I drove it to work making a few changes for drivability in RTT. I get to work with the changes ive made and write the calibration in the pcm and now it cranks, fires, and stalls very quickly, almost quicker than it would If the VATS were active. I attempted to do another write entire of the file before the changes and still the same outcome. I'm leaning towards a faulty pcm.... but not sure if there may be a software issue or os im trying to run. here is the tune file and the log of the no start. thanks you for any help.

03 harness with 5.3 4L80, 3 bar map and 1000cc injectors
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by 1364839309; 05-08-2018 at 07:22 AM.
    83 ranger "Sanford" turbo 5.3 4L80

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I'm leaning towards a tuning issue as I can see the DTC's are setup incorrectly, probably other issues based on knowing that.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    which dtcs are setup incorrectly? I copied them all from my other pcm and ive never had this issue with that pcm.

Tuner in Training
    and to add it kills the fuel, I watch the wide band for the split second it fires it goes straight off the scale to lean when it starts to die.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    YOu can't set the maf dtc's to no error reported when tuning in speed density.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    the p0103 code is set to report but not mil, I tried to set them differently and still the same results, im not saying your wrong but it wouldn't explain why it ran fine this morning and when I got to work and changed 2 octane tables and a timing table around 2-3k rpm and now it wont start. I am very limited to what I know about these types of things but I wouldn't think that is going to affect startup.

Out of curiosity what MAP are you using?

Unless you were like 1,000 feet below level the MAP seems really high at KOEO because it's at like 105kpa.

You also said it's a 5.3 but the cylinder volume is still set for a 4.8. It should be changed so the computer knows that.

Random last thing, were so injectors rated at 43.5 or 58psi? If 58psi the flow rates are a little off. 1000cc injectors at 58psi are 95lb/hr instead of 99.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Out of curiosity what MAP are you using?

Unless you were like 1,000 feet below level the MAP seems really high at KOEO because it's at like 105kpa.

You also said it's a 5.3 but the cylinder volume is still set for a 4.8. It should be changed so the computer knows that.

Random last thing, were so injectors rated at 43.5 or 58psi? If 58psi the flow rates are a little off. 1000cc injectors at 58psi are 95lb/hr instead of 99.
    i have a 3 bar gm map sensor, the old brick style. from what ive seen that's what my map sensor always reads KOEO.

fuel pressure flow I will attach the specs from there website, I'm unsure of the flow rates/specs on them, I do know I could not find them when the tuner was setting up the truck before so we went off of ID1000s. mine are FID1000s. I also only see the ethanol rating, I am running pump 93. not sure if there is a difference

The 5.3 displacement I didn't even catch, thank you for that.

But I'm not sure any of this stuff would make the pcm randomly run the truck, then not restart the next time I flashed it. its very confusing to me. I appreciate your reply and input, it always helps!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 1364839309; 05-08-2018 at 08:48 PM.

I had this same problem when I tuned Speed Density after failing the MAF according to the tried and true method, I dont know why only I had this problem but what was happening is there's a MAF Fail timer that nobody touches, and it takes about 1 second before it will fail it so startup was flaky but would usually stall, then Id have to restart.

Now, once it failed, it would start fine. It confused me for years then one day I changed those values to 0sec, and problem was gone. Sounds like your having a MAF fail delay, or a MAP problem... but you don't have the same tables as me.. so... that's about all I can contribute.

I think in my case it would happen right after flashing since the MAF was not failed yet and I had it unplugged to make sure I had it in SD mode... with it plugged in, I may not have noticed the problem since it was actually reading correctly. Your problem sounds completely opposite... it runs fine until something is failed (Full Write resets any fail status)?

MAF_FAIL_ERT.PNG
    Last edited by 10_SS; 05-14-2018 at 09:18 PM.
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires