Thread: 14 Ram 1500 Eforce miss fire code

Tuner in Training

14 Ram 1500 Eforce miss fire code

2014 Ram 1500 with Eforce supercharger

About once every few weeks this truck will throw a miss fire code for cylinder 8. It always happens when cruising. When this happens the truck will run rough. After I clear the code it will run perfectly fine. I replaced the plugs on that cylinder once already in case it was an issue with the plugs. The plugs look perfectly normal. Compression is the same on this cylinder as the rest of the cylinders. I also swaped coils with the cylinder next to it. I tried disabling the miss fire monitor but the problem keep occuring every few weeks. Anyone run into this before and have a solution.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Injector maybe?
    2018 Trackhawk PCM/TCM tune by Dusterhoff.
    Flex Fuel, MMX faux 95mm TB, GripTec 2.85, 10% ATI lower, FIC1200, ARH 1 7/8 w/cats, 180 T-stat

13 Chrysler 300S, RAM BGE 412 stroker, cam motion 232/246 619/619 118 +4, ATI 18% OD pulley
    Whipple Gen5 3.0, 2.50 upper pulley, Smooth Boost controller, FIC 1200 inj. Nick W 108mm TB, FORE dual return fuel system, E85, FTI 2800 stall(SRT83380), SHR WAR Viking trans and valve body, Getrag 3.73, 1 7/8 kooks w/hi-flow cats, 3" Magnaflow Cat-back 943rwhp

Senior Tuner
    Hmm, doesn't make sense it would still report a misfire with the detection window set at 6400rpms and youre shifting below that rpm.

What is the exact code its popping?

Tuner in Training
    The code is P0308. I believe it only runs rough at the time the light comes on because the pcm is shutting down the injector on that cylinder.

Senior Tuner
    A log during misfire with injector 8 logged would be very telling

I have seen a few bad pcm's on 2014 Rams.. Back probe coil output of number 8 and compare to others. If it looks low, it is the PCM. And make sure there are no MDS coils on your rig.. There junk..

Advanced Tuner
    Subscribing to this. I've seen this problem on 2 of these rams now.

Tuner in Training
    Getting a log of this problem when it occurs will be difficult because it happens rarely. When I use my Autel scan tool to look at mode 6 data, you can see that it will have logged a miss on cylinder 8 and only cylinder 8 about 15 to 30 times when the problem occurs and its always while cruising. This does have stock coils on it and it only has about 25K miles on it. As far as I know the problem only started occuring after the supercharger. My thinking was that the ecm thinks there is a miss (maybe because of the lower plug gap?) and then shuts down the injector making it run rough. It could be a real problem like a ecm issue or bad injector but the problem is so intermitent. On the latest software update I noticed that coolant temp parramaters were added to the miss fire detection so I raised those to see if that will help prevent the ecm from shutting down the injector if it thinks its missing. I just need to wait and see if the customer has this problem again in the next few weeks. I can just keep the truck here and drive it everyday waiting for the problem to happen with all the time that I dont have.

What fixed the issue? My 2019 Ram 1500 Classic is doing the same.