Thread: Wideband ve tuning help needed.

Wideband ve tuning help needed.

I am trying to tune my 98 z28 ve table and so far its not going so well. I have afr error vs ve table, i get numbers that seem pretty high, but i do know its going lean so that's not that shocking to me. The issue is, that when i paste special multiply by %, it gets leaner instead of richer. I know i am overlooking something very simple, and I just want to sort it out without making any changes that wil hurt the motor. That's why i am asking the people who know it best.

So far i have disabled the fuel trims and turned off ltft learn and gone into open loop, and turned off dfco. I have my pe set to about 12.9:1 by commanding pe 1.13 across the board. Is that all i have to turn off, or should i leave the trims on?

is there anything else that i am missing, also i am using the aem uego with it hooked through the egr. my gauge and hptuners are pretty well exactly the same readout as one another.

the first log was about mid day, and the weather was 75 and not very humid. the second one was about the same temperature but very humid so i understand there will be some changes due to that. I babied the car back after i saw it was that lean.

Thanks for any and all help in advance.
    ve tune1.hplve tune2.hpl

Tuner in Training
    You need to set up a % Error Histogram using math calculations.

I'm following the guide in the help section, and this one. Like nkluchkovskiy said, you'll want to create a math paramater that compares you commanded AFR, to what you are getting from your wideband. I can post mine later this evening if needed.

I've done a few revisions and am with 2-3 percent now. Might have one or two outling cells that are more. Probably gonna do one more good log and move on.

Ok, thank you both for the help. If you would, post your error parameter when you can. I don?t mind using fuel trims necessarily, but since I have the wideband I might as well use it for what I can.

Do I seem to have all the settings in the tune like they should be?

I have an afr error histo, and im pretty sure that its correct. if anyone gets a chance to look at it and let me know I would appreciate it. the problem comes when I copy paste special mult percent, it just seems to get further from 0 instead of closer. I have an afr error vs maf and I got it down very close to +/-3, and all I did to setup the afr error vs ve was to change it from maf table to what the ve table uses. I figured that would work fine, but I may have messed it up. also, I saw a channel called cylinder airmass, do I need to have that on the channel list as well? again, any help is greatly appreciated.

Here's my math stuff for the wideband. You'll have to change the egr voltage to match your wideband and to get the scanner to match the display.

The second one is a percent that reports the difference between the wideband and commanded AFR. 2811.10 is your EGR voltage and 50121 is your commanded AFR. Make sure you are logging both in your channels...

AFR: [2811.10]/0.5+8.7
    AFR Error: 100*(([2811.10]/0.5+8.7)-[50121])/[50121]

Quote Originally Posted by scoob8000 View Post
    Here's my math stuff for the wideband. You'll have to change the egr voltage to match your wideband and to get the scanner to match the display.

The second one is a percent that reports the difference between the wideband and commanded AFR. 2811.10 is your EGR voltage and 50121 is your commanded AFR. Make sure you are logging both in your channels...

AFR: [2811.10]/0.5+8.7
    AFR Error: 100*(([2811.10]/0.5+8.7)-[50121])/[50121]
    i actually have both of those in the log file I posted. I guess the issue I am having is that im doing a copy paste special multiply % and it is making it more lean. should I do copy paste special add instead?

Do you have the tune file you are using currently?

Post it here.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

ok, here is the tune that I was using to work on the ve table. I changed it back to a tune that isn't near as lean as it was after I copy paste special% from my ve afr chart.

Bens 98z28 ve tuning2.hpt
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by camaroguy28; 05-15-2018 at 07:36 PM.

In that particular file have you been applying the adjustments to just the primary VE or the secondary VE or both?

That operating system only uses the secondary VE table while tuning in speed density. So you'd apply the changes to the primary table. Then copy row by row that match from the primary into the secondary VE and then smooth the secondary VE table because it has less resolution. You'd smooth the primary VE too as you don't want either table to have spikes or dips.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

I think that may be my problem. I only applied it to the primary since I was just working on my wife?s 2002 firebird v6 and it only has one ve table, so that?s what I was used to seeing. What would have made it run so much leaner though? Did all the settings for tuning the ve table seem correct? I will try to get some seat time with the car soon, but the weather here is calling for nothing but rain for about a week. Thank you for your help.

I just looked at my stock tune for the Camaro, and the primary and secondary ve tables are exactly the same values in the corresponding cells from the factory. I even went to the repository and grabbed another one to see if it was the same and it was. Is that normal? I also looked at my tune and I think I am going to start the ve tuning over from scratch and go at it again. Do I need to paste special mult% or add?