Thread: Aftermarket Fuel Sending Unit to 0411 ECM

Tuner

Aftermarket Fuel Sending Unit to 0411 ECM

I haven't honestly given it a try yet, but I am going to. I figured I would post and ask just to make my life a little easier. I did a 0411 swap and I decided to run a torque pro tablet dash so I can keep an eye on my speed, and other useful information. I also decided rather than running an external fuel gauge I would like to check my fuel level through this app. This would mean running my fuel sending wire through my ECU. I don't have much experience with this but I know some cars/trucks run it through the ecu while others run it through the bcm or dash. To make matters more complicated, its an aftermarket unit in an aftermarket tank. Is there a procedure as to how to wire this in and get it dialed in so it reads "somewhat" correctly? Just looking for experiences for anyone who may have tried this in the past.

Dan

Tuner
    Hey Dan,
    I don't know a huge amount about these things, but I know most fuel senders use resistance instead of voltage output, possibly a safety thing I'm not sure. But if the gauge setup you've got can read resistance then it should be fine.
    I know the 0411 PCM can get a fuel tank signal, but I'm not sure if it's only on specific OS's, or what the signal requirements are. Maybe it's CANBUS / Body control module related, not too sure.

I put a Holden Commodore dash in my TransAM for my 24x conversion, and ended up having to wire in most of the BCM in order to get the gauges working. Some stupid thing with the gauges running ALDL(OBD1) singal and needing a PIM to convert some of the communications from OBD1 to OBD2 and vice versa.
    The fuel gauge for a thirdgen TransAM is 0-90ohms, but the new gauges needed 240-35ohm which was annoying and couldn't be converted.

I ended up pulling the sender from the tank, cutting off the sensor and float, and pop rivetting a float and sensor from an LS1 commodore on there, then bending the float wire to match the min/max of the new sensor ramp.

Ghetto, I know, but it did the job. That's my experience on this stuff anyway haha.

Best of luck.

Tuner
    Not much information on this topic but after doing a weeks worth of research the benefits do not out weigh the labor involved. At this point I am going to scrap the idea and wire it directly into the dash gauge... this is a "next winter" project.

Dan