Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TCC Not locking - tune attached

TCC Not locking - tune attached

I cannot figure this one out. Surely it's something simple I'm missing somewhere..

This is a 1995 LT1/4l60e with 24x conversion (Torqhead).

I can lock and unlock the converter from in the scanner vcm tools, but not on it's own. I've tried copying settings from a few similar setups, but it never locks up on it's own.WB_VE_Starter02.hpt

I also logged the brake light switch to make sure that wasn't an issue, but it's not..

Advanced Tuner
    I'm assuming the speedo is working correctly. Try putting values back into Auto TCC Minimum Throttle Release; Low Speed TPS Lo 1%, Low Speed TPS High 4%, High Speed TPS Lo 1%, High Speed TPS High 4%,

Quote Originally Posted by DrLoch View Post
    I'm assuming the speedo is working correctly. Try putting values back into Auto TCC Minimum Throttle Release; Low Speed TPS Lo 1%, Low Speed TPS High 4%, High Speed TPS Lo 1%, High Speed TPS High 4%,

Yeah, speedo works.

In my previous attempt I tried low 44mph, high 45mph, and 3% lo, 5% high on both but no effect. I'll try yours, leaving my vss the same (256).

No difference there. I started logging all the TCC pids and have two that catch my eye.

TCC Misfire Off and TCC Ramp Exceeded.

The misfire one never changes, and I'm logging misfires. It's always zero. The TCC Ramp Exceeded sets to yes pretty much any time I'm moving.

I'm lost.

Advanced Tuner

I checked it out. Ruling all the physical stuff out because it locks up fine with no slip when I manually command it via scanner. Also no problems prior to the 24x conversion.

It's gotta be something in the tune, but I've looked at the tips regarding temps, mph apply/release settings etc with no luck.

I've gone as far as copying the entire TCC tab over from a car with working lockup.

No matter what I get TCC ramp exceeded as long as the car is moving, and the misfire TCC off pid soon as the engine starts. All current/history misfire counters are all at zero even after a long drive.

Gotta be something simple I'm missing in a underlying table. Just can't find it.

Advanced Tuner
    That's odd. I have 94 Imp SS with a 24X conversion and the older 4L60E and a Precision Vigilante 3K stall. I was concerned about the PWM clutch apply with my older trans but it was fine once I got the car up and moving. Granted it's not as smooth as a PWM apply but it does work. Only other thing I see different in your file from mine are the gear ration & tire size calc and VSS pulses per mile

Very similar setup here then. This is a 95 Caprice with a 3200 Edge converter.

What do you run in the way of a cam? I've got a 223/231 .557/.571 here. I'm hearing a cam can cause some false misfires, but they're not registering on any of the counters for me if that's the case. I keep coming back to that TCC misfire off status bit.

The TCC ramp bit I've read that it's safe to ignore, and nobody seems to know what it is.

Advanced Tuner
    Comp 224 - 236. As you see I'm not boosting ...... yet. Have to get my basic tuning done first.

Impala 3.JPG

I redrew all the wiring conversions for a 24X conversion
    Last edited by DrLoch; 05-15-2018 at 12:30 PM.

Been doing a little more playing with this.. Even with the misfire tables all maxed to 32767, I'm still seeing "TCC Misfire Off" bit is set to yes soon as the engine is running. Still never see any actual misfires on the counters either.

I made sure all my misfire related DTC's were enabled too.

Bump.

I'm still banging my head off the wall on this. I got another tune from a car setup very similar to mine (cam, converter, gears, etc) and copied just about everything over to a new file to test. Still no TCC lockup on it's own. But I still locks fine from the bi-directional controls.

Just to recap:
    Logging all the TCC status bits. Misfire off and ramp exceeded are the only two that indicate they are getting in my way. Misfire counts are always at zero. All seemingly relevant DTC's are enabled. No codes are set. Cruise works fine.

Advanced Tuner
    Quick question, have you done a crank relearn?

Quick question, have you done a crank relearn?

I've tried a couple times. Not sure if it takes or not.

In HPT you click the relearn button and it tells you to punch the throttle and an okay button. Do you rev it before of after you click okay?

There's no indicator if it worked or not.

[edit] I'm reading about revving to the limiter. I need to look but I think my fuel cutoff is crazy high in my tune. Will check that and retry.

[edit2] lowered P/N rev limiter to a normal value and tried again. Tried a couple times, again not sure if it took.
    Last edited by scoob8000; 06-02-2018 at 05:44 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    I do remember having some issues getting it to do the relearn. I don't remember punching the throttle, I gradually took it up to the relearn rev limit.

Here's a thread, also includes a youtube video as a bonus...... in any event it should stop a 4k no matter where you have your rev limiter, if it's blowing by the 4K value something else is amiss.

My thought is that if the case relearn isn't/wasn't done or it didn't take that may be the issue. Just tossing stuff out to see what works. Do you know some with a tech2?

Tuner
    Logged a run before going on vacation last week. Decided to search for threads like this one, and it's hopeful that this is not just me experiencing issues. I can try to attach a copy of that log file.

The logs showed that the "TCC Brake Off" bit would only show "Yes" when the brake is applied. Seems the switch is a "normally closed" switch, and the LS PCM is looking for a "normally open" switch. Also noticed that there's three (3) different "TCC Applied" parameters. Only one of them changes status, with vehicle moving above configured speeds for lockup permissive. Experiencing no misfires, "TCC Misfire Off" shows "Yes" when engine running, and driving around. Wondering if there's a way to invert the brake switch signal within HPTuners. Me being an career "automation" guy, I'd say it's possible, with a software revision, but that HPT software development is proprietary. ;-)

BTW, car is a 1995 Impala SS, with NO lockup issues PRIOR to installing the TorqHead 24x Conversion:
    *383 built by Chad Golen
    *4L6xE built by Powertrain Specialties (Yank SS3200)
    *3:73 w/ Eaton Posi
    *TorqHead 24x Conversion

2018May30 (Ron).hpl

I will say that the conversion kit is a very nice kit, easy to install, and makes tuning better & more reliable. The ONLY issue I see so far is the TCC Lockup functionality not performing as it should (automatically). I can manually command it to lock up via VCM Scanner. Hoping for a resolution of some kind.

*** EDIT ***
    I know the brake switch part numbers are different between the '95 & '96 Impala SS cars, but both years seem to share two (2) of the connector pin part numbers. I cannot recall what year car Paul (Owner of TorqHead) has, but if it's a '96 car, that brake switch may be the difference. He's told me that his car has no issue with the kit he produces. I sent an email to him, and am awaiting feedback. In the meantime, here are the part numbers I found off RockAuto's website:

1995 Brake Switch (5-terminal):
    ACDelco - 19330547 (OEM #25523463, D895A)

1996 Brake Switch (6-terminal):
    ACDelco - D864C (OEM #19107002)
    ACDelco - D1541D (OEM #10170430)
    Last edited by 1badc10; 06-04-2018 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Brake Switch Info
    **Capt. Ron - 7th Dist. Fire**

Advanced Tuner
    That's odd, mine is a 94 SS. I didn't have any issues with my conversion as far as lockup is concerned. Mine is not a PWM TCC setup, it's on or off. Only issue I've experienced thus far is when I put the car into closed loop it goes lean at cruising speed like it's hunting for stoich setpoint.

FYI I have a 94 which doesn't have PWM TCC. Just looked at my electrical print Electronic Transmission 2 8A-20-9.pdf I am using the a NC switch going into BLUE-33 the reference for the brake switch.
    Last edited by DrLoch; 06-05-2018 at 07:48 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Just looked at your log, quick question, I noticed your speed reference oscillates at times in the log, may be from poling so many items. A tune posted up would help as well.

Tuner
    In talking with Paul, he's had conversations with Bryan (PCMForLess, as the provide custom tuning services to TorqHead), and have come to some conclusion that TunerCATS is writing something weird in the logic that HPT does not. They are testing their theory, and will report back. This doesn't seem to be a widespread issue (yet), as Paul has only heard from two of his customers (me & one other guy) that have experienced this. As for the speed reference, I'll take a look at the log I posted earlier.

Just looked at your log, quick question, I noticed your speed reference oscillates at times in the log, may be from poling so many items. A tune posted up would help as well.
    I've noticed that as of late. Not sure (definitively) what could be causing that, but want to make sure the sensor is secured to the tail housing properly. The speedo readout (to the cluster) is a 4mph faster than it should be. That said, I'm meeting up with my local tuner on Monday, to finish tuning the idle airflow w/ A/C on. He'll take a look at the speed related stuff, as well as assess the TCC issue using another software package. Will certainly report back...

Advanced Tuner
    That sounds encouraging. I don't have a problem but I did my own code work on a virgin PCM that I sourced.... my be something to it.

Tuner
    Well.... Unfortunately, there's nothing that HPT (William Henn) can add to this case (per email I received this morning). Reached out to TorqHead (Paul de Boer), but he's closed shop for the upcoming week. Frustrating...