Thread: 85 j10 first log

Potential Tuner

85 j10 first log

doing a 5.3 swap with an ls9 cam. truck idles great, goes down the road ok just seems like it doesnt have much power when you hammer down. what do you think i should change
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    Looked at log.
    you did not log throttle but the map shows 99 kpa so i assume its open all the way
    timing seems really low. 8:00 time stamp at 4500 showes only 13.7*
    It also shows alot knk retard there also. Do you have a wide band on this thing? Comanded AFR of 11.38 should be rich enough to keep knk down.
    Running good gas?

No log for trans gear or anything. Automatic?
    Axle, gear, tire?
    Post file you made the log with also helps.
    Good luck

Potential Tuner
    im gonna do another log i realized i didnt log everything i needed to. its an 85 jeep j10 so i didnt think any axle or tire information mattered but its got 411s inn the stock jeep housings running a 35 inch tire. i started on this project mid build so i dont know all the info exactly

Potential Tuner
    this is where i was at. i am still learning how to do everything so please bare with me

Potential Tuner
    and yes automatic. new log has the gear info and everything that should be needed

Tuner in Training
    There are a few things there, Upshift is pretty low ect. but your real killer is all the knock.
    Again, do you have a wideband on this thing? Whats the afr during this pull?
    Again, what fuel is in it?

That is a bad camshaft selection if you wanted to make any real power and if you wanted it to actually have some grunt down low.

I know people do them because they are basically like $100 new but there are so many better options.

Like Kaik said, you need to get a wideband on there so you can correct the airflow model and lean it out safely.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    93 octane, no wideband but I guess I'll be getting one and not looking to make huge power. Just need to be enough to drive. It's a show truck.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Can you add your o2 sensors and injector pulse width avg to your logs please.

I have a strong feeling you are way out of injector on this thing too. Those tiny 22lb/hr will not support a modded 5.3 engine at WOT. Don't surprised if you are well past 100% duty cycle. Make sure fuel pressure is at 58psi too.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    I really like that.
    If you have the pro interface you can log AFR in scanner with a wideband. If not just knowing what the afr is with a gauge will get you close.
    By the looks of things you need to make sure its not running really lean for some reason. With the commanded afr your running you should not have anywhere near that much knk with premium fuel. Its also my understanding that the ls9 cam does not make a bunch of dynamic compression below 4500 anyway. Might be a noisy motor, car boned up, noisy knk sensors or something, but until you know the afr, and get the maf and ve tables right, not alot of direction to go on.
    good luck

Potential Tuner
    ok so here is where im at with an aem uego hooked up i also changed the advance map to something a little closer to what another truck we have is running. seems like it is a little happer. just a quick couple pulls.

Tuner in Training
    Things i see
    Your out of injector by 5K
    The air model is off. your commanding low elevens and getting about twelve by the looks of it according to the transfer function I found for the aem.
    Your huge knk problem you had in the last log is not present here. Thats good.
    It looks like it shifts too early to me. That said, you need to fix the 100% + DC before you do much else.

Potential Tuner
    Will this be good enough until it gets a supercharger If I tell the owner to keep it under 5k and all. The truck is supposed to be done by Monday. I still have other bugs to work out but as long as it's safe enough to drive around to shows. End of summer it's supposed to get a supercharger. We just wanted to get it broken in before we add boost

Tuner in Training
    Should be fine. Dont think it can really hurt itself as long as your not gooning it.

I don't think it's worth the risk, you can tell people stuff but they may not always listen.

For sure you must dial in the MAF/VE table so that the airflow model is corrected like said above. Then getting the WOT commanded AFR to match the actual AFR will drop the duty cycle down maybe 5-10% but you'll still be above 95% for sure but still better than 110%. 11.0 to 11.5 is kinda fat, aim for 12.0-12.3 and get the wideband to match that commanded.