Thread: 2017 ford explorer

Tuner in Training

2017 ford explorer

hi new to the forum but been using hp tuners for several years, on a 2017 explorer i can't find how to turn off the flex fuel on other models there is a tab for flex fuel. any help , thanks .

They just added the 2018 Explorer and even though it is Flex Fuel, there's nothing in the VCM Editor for flex fuel. The same goes for the 2015 Explorer Limited they have in the repository. I sent in a request to have this looked at, but it is apparently a low priority for the engineers as this time. I don't think anyone else besides me was even looking at tuning the non-EcoBoost Explorer.

Tuner in Training
    ok thanks for the response, ill try sending out an email on it as well.

They are also missing a lot of transmission settings which is odd since it is the same 6F55 as the Fusion Sport, Explorer Sport, and SHO that they fully defined in their TC1797 files. I also found my Optimum Power table for MBT all zerod out. Is that the same for your 2017?

VCM Scanner is also missing a lot of PIDs, one of which is air mass flow. Even though we are speed density, there should still be a PID for inferred air mass flow.

Tuner in Training
    not sure, I'll have to check the file, curious where are you located in Detroit?

Tuner in Training
    yes, vcm is missing some pids, however, on the newer explorers there is no longer a MAF.

Yep, my 2018 is speed density. I believe they made this change in 2016 or so on the Explorer non-EcoBoost. It should still have a PID to show at least inferred air mass flow. EcoBoost has PIDs for turbo mass flow and air mass flow and those are all speed density. The ECU needs to have an idea of how much air is going into the engine. Bottom line is that there are no PIDs that I can see which would provide us this data on the N/A 3.5 as it stands.

Tuner in Training
    I sent a file to support (actually a couple) probably a year ago or longer from my wife's 2017 Explorer N/A 3.5. I gave up waiting and just quit messing with it. So many missing trans parameters and still nothing I see....
    It has the 6F55 as well.

Did you try it with the latest beta? Eric added most of the parameters for my 2018. There are still a few I sent in with VCM Editor and Scanner but haven't heard back.

There are still a few things missing. I don't know if HPTuners is working on it but I sent in the requests to HPTuners Support. I guess they are busy with the MPVI2 interface.

Quote Originally Posted by metroplex View Post
    There are still a few things missing. I don't know if HPTuners is working on it but I sent in the requests to HPTuners Support. I guess they are busy with the MPVI2 interface.
    Always working on it!
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Eric@HPTuners View Post
    Always working on it!
    Thanks Eric!!! Hopefully HPT can figure out the weird issue with the Fusion Sport as well, where requested torque goes to stock when I use the paddle shifters.

FYI the stock 2018 XLT 3.5L N/A V6 flows about 26-28 lb/min max, not very impressive. I added some timing in various load/RPM regions to improve driveability, but the engine still lacks a lot of low end grunt and high end power.

Tuner in Training
    hi friend did you solved the tune for your explorer ? i having issues with a 2016 speed density explorer , we are unable to see in wich mapped poin is runing do you have a special pid or so for this explorer ?