Thread: 4l60e never has first gear

Potential Tuner

4l60e never has first gear

Do not believe a tune issue but hoping for some ls swap help. Truck ran and shifted fine for about a week now it doesn't have first gear ever. if i use the scanner and command first gear it places the trans into fourth gear. I did drop the pan and swapped solenoids which didn't change anything. I then took the transmission back to the shop where it was torn apart and deemed ok. once back together it still does not have first however if started in second it will automatically shift into all other gears. it has a new speed sensor and tps seems to be reading fine. its the only thing keeping me off the road any help would be great!!!!

Potential Tuner
    shift solenoid b or valve train behind that is hung. Both shift solenoids are on for first gear B is off for fourth. This explains the 4th gear when commanded by scanner.. You could verify computer operation by installing some shift lights on the shift solenoid control circuits as well.

Gear SS1/SSA/1-2 SOL SS2/SSB/2-3 SOL
    1st ON ON
    2nd OFF ON
    3rd OFF OFF
    4th ON OFF
    Last edited by range 91; 05-19-2018 at 08:26 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the help i have changed all the solenoids and can here them click when activated. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't any other sensors or wiring problems that may cause these symptoms before i took it to another tranny shop for a second opinion. the speed sensor does read under what the truck is actually moving but it goes down to zero so i would assume it is not the problem and just needs adjusted.

Hook scanner up. Go to trans data. Turn key on, run gear shifter through all positions verifying that all gear positions are registering in scanner. This test is checking the neutral safety switch. If that tests good, then start the vehicle up, and put the shifter into the D4 position. Now look at the "gear commanded" screen and see if the PCM is commanding a 1st gear start. If it does not show "1" as the gear commanded, the problem is OUTSIDE of the transmission. If it shows "1" but when you attempt to drive the vehicle it is not actually taking off in 1st gear-then the problem is INSIDE the transmission. Don't waste any more time doing any other tests of any sort. Do only these two tests right now. Post back and let us know what you find.

Potential Tuner
    Ok so using the trans current gear channel which I'm hoping was correct the truck does command first when starting out work the shifter through it shows to read right. took a short ride and you can watch the gear commanded change and feel the transmission down shift when pedal is added but still tries to start out in fourth in drive. What could cause this inside the transmission?

What could cause wrong gear starts? MANY, MANY things.. If the vehicle were at my shop I would be swapping a good used valve body onto it.

I can't honestly say I've ever seen that problem before and I thought I had seen every problem a 4L60E could have.. 4th gear starts.. puzzling to say the least.

did you ever change the transmission harness? i bought two trucks from the auction and both start in third gear. ended up being the harness both times.

3rd gear starts are fairly common with that unit. ANY type of electrical, or solenoid, issue will cause 3rd gear starts. It is programmed into the PCM/TCM to command 3rd gear if the key on system test detects any electrical anomalies. The op is stating 4th gear starts....

The easy answer here is to have the OP post up a log showing gear commanded, vehicle speed, and any other transmission related PIDS relative to his issue. Then, we can actually see what is happening with the signals coming out of the computer, and what the transmission is actually doing. My guess is, it won't be 4th gear starts. Even if the turbine shaft sealing rings were damaged (1 ring separates the FWD clutch feed from the 3/4 clutch feed) it STILL would not be starting out in 4th. It would be in 3rd then too even if there was no electrical issue, or DTC's being stored.

If you can't post a log, and you are relegated to ONLY throwing parts at it-change the VB first. Warrior says he has replaced harnesses to fix problems. I guess I've been fortunate as I have never had to do that. Ignition switches? YEP. 1996 model years were REAL bad about bad ignition switches. Blown fuses will also cause 3rd gear starts.. Bad solenoids, bad TCM, a short in the internal wiring harness, many, many, things. Even a bad external harness-as warrior mentioned-would do it if it was damaged somewhere between the computer and the trans. A log will get us all on the same page and we can then figure out what is really happening.

Potential Tuner
    The truck now has first gear. I talked to a couple local tranny shops and they all had the similar advice. However i took it for one final cruise before i was going to drop the pan and clicked the tcc solenoid off within the scanner and it killed the truck. when i started the truck back up it then had first. I don't know if it is possible the converter was locked up in first or what i still cannot figure out the cause. thanks for all the help and responses.

????????????????? Turning the TCC lock up solenoid OFF will not stall the engine. Also, even if the TCC was locked up for some unknown reason, it would not cause an incorrect gear start. If I were you, I'd be prepared to deal with the issue again. It's not likely you have fixed it permanently, unless a valve was stuck and somehow it has now freed itself up. Put some miles on it CLOSE to home before venturing out too far. If the problem is not permanently fixed you want to figure that out before you are too far out to limp it back home.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 1364838952 View Post
    Hook scanner up. Go to trans data. Turn key on, run gear shifter through all positions verifying that all gear positions are registering in scanner. This test is checking the neutral safety switch. If that tests good, then start the vehicle up, and put the shifter into the D4 position. Now look at the "gear commanded" screen and see if the PCM is commanding a 1st gear start. If it does not show "1" as the gear commanded, the problem is OUTSIDE of the transmission. If it shows "1" but when you attempt to drive the vehicle it is not actually taking off in 1st gear-then the problem is INSIDE the transmission. Don't waste any more time doing any other tests of any sort. Do only these two tests right now. Post back and let us know what you find.

So I am having a similar issue, I put my shifter in d4, and it shows 1 for gear commanded, however it does not move. But the goofy thing is I can take off in d1, or d2, get up to like 10 mph and shift to d4 and the transmission acts normal, I can stop and go and the transmission shifts properly. Any ideas ?

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by eadsch View Post
    So I am having a similar issue, I put my shifter in d4, and it shows 1 for gear commanded, however it does not move. But the goofy thing is I can take off in d1, or d2, get up to like 10 mph and shift to d4 and the transmission acts normal, I can stop and go and the transmission shifts properly. Any ideas ?
    If you move in Manual low 5ft, move shifter to OD will it neutral? If the answer is yes, OWC is bad,

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by trnzbldr View Post
    If you move in Manual low 5ft, move shifter to OD will it neutral? If the answer is yes, OWC is bad,
    Are you saying if I drive it 5 ft in low gear, then move the shifter to overdrive, and it acts like it?s in neutral still Owc is bad? What is owc?

One Way Clutch, aka Sprag.