Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Training Class

Potential Tuner
    Greg, would you consider my situation? I'm in the Middle East Region and obviously I will not have any great chance to attend your training class. Is there any possibility that I can access on-line most of the important topics you will discuss in your training class. Just curious!!! perhaps a special consideration maybe provided.
    Eduardo
    Junior Tuner

Potential Tuner
    Greg, I would be interested in a class like this. I am a total noob on tuning and would this class be too advanced for me? When would this class take place?

If you are an enthusiast with the desire to learn and can use a calculator, you should be OK. We start the class with some basics on engine operation specifically to get you thinking on the right track before venturing into the EFI world. Trust me, this isn't a graduate course in flame front propogation, but you'll still get exposed to enough info to make you dangerous. Everyone gets a hard copy of the materials as well, so you can always review what you've learned later.

The next class is scheduled for August 26-27th outside of Detroit, MI. Email me or contact the host company, MRT, to sign up. We are also entertaining the idea of some other classes at locations across the country, but nothing's solid for that yet.

Potential Tuner
    E-Mail Sent

absolutely. In the New Orleans area?

Just an idea, but how about an internet class?

Tuner in Training

Possible Class in Mobile, AL

I have spoken to Greg about the possibility of getting a class together at Total Performance Centers in Mobile, AL. The time would be if I remember correctly, the second week in Oct. (is this right Greg?). We need at least 10 people to attend. I will put together all the logistics. If you are nearby, email either me or Greg. We have a tentative number of about 5 people already expressing interest.

Allen Swinney
    [email protected]
    www.totalperformancecenters.com

Just an update, fellas. Due to conflicts beyond my control, we've had to reschedule the class. It will likely be mid-October when I return from Europe. I know several people had conflicts for the previous date, so hopefully this will work out a little better. I think I let everyone know, but if I didn't reply to your email/pm just poke me again if you need an update.

Thanks!

Tuner in Training
    If you are going to be attending PRI, I can provide a shop in the the Daytona or the Orando area if you can put on a class there. Let me know and i'm sure there will be plenty of people ready to attend around here.

Advanced Tuner
    I am interested, send me a PM about some details, I'm only a3 hour drive from you.
    2001 Camaro SS M6 - 23,xxx Miles

Huron Speed AC Turbo AC Kit - 6.0L 9.4CR, LS3 Heads, 226 232 115 lsa cam, Turbonetics 7575 1.15 AR Turbo

10.98 @ 133 MPH on 9 lbs boost

Senior Tuner
    I would be very intrested in this. I'm just over the border from Detroit(Toronto)

Tuner in Training
    I would attend if you ever have a class in the LA area. I have been wrenching for 20 years. Factory mechanic lots of factory training, but we really only replace parts. No tuning now a days.

I need a basic course. Find me one and im in !

Potential Tuner
    Any chance on a web class?

West Coast Class confirmed

I just got off the phone with my friend at Dynojet. We will be hosting a class at their facility in Las Vegas on November 4/5. This is the weekend following SEMA. Cost will be $550 with registration before October 20th, $650 thereafter. Email me directly to register. See you guys at the show!

I'm still working to confirm another Great Lakes class sometime in October for you local guys too.

Potential Tuner
    I'm still interested in a Great Lakes region(Cleveland/Detroit area) training class.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by eficalibrator
    I just got off the phone with my friend at Dynojet. We will be hosting a class at their facility in Las Vegas on November 4/5. This is the weekend following SEMA. Cost will be $550 with registration before October 20th, $650 thereafter. Email me directly to register. See you guys at the show!

I'm still working to confirm another Great Lakes class sometime in October for you local guys too.
    you bastard lol I leave vegas early on the 4th...that and I'll be spent after a week in vegas for SEMA...anywayz stop by the HPTuners booth if your there
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by eficalibrator

I'm game but need more info to see if it's "worth it" or not, please PM me anything you have, including a phone number so we can talk on the phone.

Hopefully you don't do it the weekend of Oct 21st, it's my sons 5th birthday party.

Bill

By popular demand, the next great lakes class has been set for October 28/29th in Cleveland. It will be held at Mustang Dyno's headquarters in Twinsburg, OH. As usual, contact me for registration details.

Bill, email me your number and I shall call you personally when I return from Europe. A more complete course description here:

EFI Calibration Seminar
    Duration: 1.5 days

The engine control unit (ECU, PCM, ECM, EEC, DME) is the computer that controls engine operation including fuel injection, ignition timing, and other functions. Proper "programming" of the PCM is required to achieve the desired performance behavior of the engine. This calibration is done by factory engineers for stock engines. Changing hardware components on the engine often requires a recalibration of the ECU to allow the engine to operate most effectively.

This course provides background on the physical operation of the engine and how the sensors relay this information to the ECU. It also covers how the ECU uses these inputs in determining the proper outputs to yield the desired air/fuel ratio, spark advance, and power output. There is an emphasis on taking an engineering approach to ECU calibration and getting the right result for the right reason.

Examples are tailored toward the tuning industry using both reprogrammed OEM systems and popular "stand alone" aftermarket systems. Discussions will range from domestic V8s to more exotic forced induction 4 cylinders. Since the same principles apply to a wide variety of engines, students will be able to apply their new knowledge to just about any EFI project. The course goes further in depth than most basic clinics. Students are provided useful reference material that will serve them for years to come. The seminar will include several live demonstrations using a chassis dynamometer and the latest aftermarket tuning software.

Benefits of Attending
    By attending this seminar, you will learn to:
    • Describe how the engine and its sensors function
    • Explain how the PCM uses the sensor inputs to determine fuel injection and timing
    • Interpret base fuel and spark tables
    • Develop and correct base tables and adders

Who Should Attend?
    Anyone interested in the operation of the PCM and engine calibration. This course will be of particular interest to those looking to tune their own EFI systems or those who tune professionally. Some math is involved, so be prepared to use the calculators we provide in the class.

Seminar Content

• Vocabulary of calibration
    • Basic engine operation
    o Engine efficiency
    o Comparing engines using BMEP
    o Understanding engine load
    o Using load to determine engine needs
    • Input sensors and output controls
    o CRK, TPS, IAT, ECT, HEGO, MAP, and MAF sensors
    o Injector operation principles
    • PCM control strategies
    o Airflow modeling
    o Air/fuel ratio requirements for power and emissions
    o Spark requirements
    • Using the dynamometer as a tuning tool
    o Wideband O2 monitoring
    o Airflow corrections
    o Finding MBT, Knock
    • Actual calibration procedure
    o Part load mapping
    o Idle control
    o WOT tuning
    o Transient controls
    o Temperature compensation
    • Live demonstration using the latest software and datalogging

Advanced Tuner
    This looks real close to EFI 101, www.efi101.com

What software will be used, HPT?
    2001 Camaro SS M6 - 23,xxx Miles

Huron Speed AC Turbo AC Kit - 6.0L 9.4CR, LS3 Heads, 226 232 115 lsa cam, Turbonetics 7575 1.15 AR Turbo

10.98 @ 133 MPH on 9 lbs boost

In all honesty, I'm sure it will have quite a bit in common with Ben's classes (efi101) since both are teaching you about ECUs and engines. I know his class tends to focus much more on the stand-alone ECUs and the electronics side of things. My class covers a bit of combustion theory that can be applied to any EFI system as well as including a lot of info on OEM-style MAF based systems. If you are serious about learning about tuning, I would recommend you take as many classes as you can from qualified people.

I use a variety of software in the class demos. It really depends upon what the students want to see and what vehicles we have at the class. I use the HPTuners and SCT packages quite a bit, and have covered stand alones like FAST and AccelDFI as well. I've had experience with a wide array of EFI systems, and teach a method that works well on just about any of them.