Thread: RaceRender not using full cpu capacity.

Banned

RaceRender not using full cpu capacity.

I've recently upgraded my pc and whilst stress testing, I ran various programs to load up the cpu cores and check temperatures.

I noticed RaceRender only sits at around 40% on all cores and the system temperature drops.

Is there a particular reason it isn't using more processing power?

Even when reading from one ssd and writing to another, its the same.

Tuner in Training
    Same here. There doesn't seem to be any bottleneck on the system.

Tuner in Training
    I should mention that when I have 2 renderings running in parallel, the cpu is ~75-80%.

The CPU utilization can vary quite a bit depending on your project configuration, video files, storage device speeds, etc. Sometimes when CPU use is low, it's because we're waiting on GPU video decoding / encoding and/or file I/O, and other times it's because we're rendering a display that isn't designed for multi-core, which may or may not be intentional (some aspects of video compositing need to be done in sequence, rather than parallel).

Lower CPU use does mean that the CPU has more processing power to spare, but typically we're waiting on something before we can give it more data to work with. If the tasks we run were just less efficient to begin with, then you would have seen higher CPU utilization and may not even question it. This is all being observed and kept in mind as I explore more optimization opportunities that can come along with faster systems, but ultimately it's lower overall processing time that we want, rather than simply pegging the CPU at 100%.

Banned
    Weston,

Just wondering if this is still the case ?

The PC is now a much higher spec yet nothing seems to be used 100% when looking at the system useage:
    CPU AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
    32GB 3200MHz DDR4 RAM
    NVIDIA RTX2070 SUPER
    Sabrent 1TB PCIe4.0 M2

If I render with Adobe Premiere for example, the utilization is much higher. Is there a way of disabling the video update for example whilst rendering ? Just showing the percentage bar instead ?

Now I`m rendering in 4K, everything takes time so if there is a way to speed that up without buying even more hardware, I'd obviously prefer that option.

All videos are stored on the same hdd as the render location, the M2

HDD Benchmark instantly increases drive use, so that can`t be the bottleneck ?
    Last edited by Nige; 12-13-2020 at 11:22 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Figure I may as well pile on.

Just picked up a new 16 core/32 thread AMD 5950x and Nvidia 3070 to replace my old 4 core/8 thread Intel 4790K and Nvidia 780ti. Rendering the same 1 minute 19 second video went from 7 minutes 13 seconds down to 3 minutes 22 seconds.

That's pretty nice, but watching utilization across CPU (25%), Disk (<1%), and GPU (25%) is a little underwhelming. My video preprocessing in Davinci Resolve dropped from about 3 hours down to 3 minutes; so I was hoping for a little better than a 2x speed up in RaceRender. I do have a number of fairly complex display objects, but I can't imagine that's the limiting factor here.