Thread: MPVI2 Upgrade FAQ

Question MPVI2 Upgrade FAQ

MPVI2+ Upgrade FAQ

The new MPVI2 interface is now available. Should I upgrade my existing MPVI to the new MPVI2? Here's some information to help you decide.

Q1. I currently own the MPVI Standard. Should I upgrade?
    A1. Yes. At initial launch, the MPVI2 provides all the features of the MPVI Standard, but with the extra benefits listed below:
    • Universal credits
    • New vehicle/manufacturer support (details TBA)
    • Expandable 8GB internal memory
    • Future software update to Pro Feature Set ($249), enabling the use of the Expander Hub, Standalone Datalogging and Standalone Flashing (release TBA)
    • Expansion to allow analog/digital/other inputs via Expander Hub (release TBA)
    • HPT file Edit and Save without license

Q2. I currently own the MPVI Pro and I DO NOT use the Enhanced I/O or GM Standalone Datalogging features. Should I upgrade?
    A2. Yes. See A1 above. MPVI Pro upgrades receive the MPVI2 Pro Feature Set at no extra cost.

Q3. I currently have the MPVI Pro. I do not use the GM Standalone Datalogging feature but I do use the Enhanced I/O inputs for Wideband O2 sensor datalogging. Should I upgrade?
    A3. There are multiple options. At MPVI2 launch, the Expander Hub (required for analog Wideband O2 sensor connection) will not be available. If you must have this capability then DO NOT upgrade your MPVI Pro to the MPVI2 at this time; wait until the Expander Hub is available. You may however, purchase an MPVI2 ($299) and begin using it alongside your existing MPVI Pro to gain access to upcoming new vehicle support (if required). Once Expander Hub is available, you may return your MPVI Pro and we will consolidate its licenses to the MPVI2 you have purchased. When you return your MPVI Pro, you will receive the MPVI2 Pro Feature set (value $249) at no extra cost.

Q4. I currently have the MPVI Pro. I use the GM Standalone Datalogging feature but I do not use the Enhanced I/O inputs for Wideband O2 sensor datalogging. Should I upgrade?
    A4. There are multiple options. At MPVI2 launch, the GM Standalone Datalogging feature will not be available. If you must have this capability then DO NOT upgrade your MPVI Pro to the MPVI2 at this time; wait until the GM Standalone Datalogging feature is available. You may however, purchase an MPVI2 ($299) and begin using it alongside your existing MPVI Pro to gain access to upcoming new vehicle support (if required). Once the Standalone Datalogging feature is available, you may return your MPVI Pro and we will consolidate its licenses to the MPVI2 you have purchased. When you return your MPVI Pro, you will receive the MPVI2 Pro Feature set (value $249) at no extra cost (this enables the Standalone Datalogging feature).

Q5. I currently have the MPVI Pro. I use BOTH the GM Standalone Datalogging feature and the Enhanced I/O inputs for Wideband O2 sensor datalogging. Should I upgrade?
    A5. There are multiple options. At MPVI2 launch, the Expander Hub and the Standalone Datalogging feature will not be available. If you must have these capabilities then DO NOT upgrade your MPVI Pro to the MPVI2 at this time; wait until the Expander Hub and Standalone Datalogging feature is available. You may however, purchase an MPVI2 ($299) and begin using it alongside your existing MPVI Pro to gain access to upcoming new vehicle support (if required). Once the Standalone Datalogging feature is available, you may return your MPVI Pro and we will consolidate its licenses to the MPVI2 you have purchased. When you return your MPVI Pro, you will receive the MPVI2 Pro Feature set (value $249) at no extra cost (this enables the Standalone Datalogging feature).

Q6. Can I purchase the MPVI2 and use it alongside my existing MPVI Standard or Pro interface?
    A6. Yes. Additionally, at a later date you may return your MPVI Standard or Pro and have its licenses consolidated to the MPVI2. MPVI Pro upgrades will receive the MPVI2 Pro Feature Set (value $249) at no extra cost.

Q7. When I upgrade my MPVI Standard or Pro to MPVI2, will my existing licenses and credits be transferred to the MPVI2?
    A7. Yes. All licenses will transfer to the MPVI2 and all GM, Ford and Dodge credits will be converted to Universal credits. You must return your MPVI Standard or Pro to HP Tuners to process the upgrade.

Q8. How much does the MPVI Standard or Pro to MPVI2 upgrade cost?
    A8. $289. Additionally, MPVI Pro upgrades will receive the MPVI2 Pro Feature Set at no extra cost (value $249).

Q9. How much does the MPVI Standard to MPVI2 with Pro Feature Set upgrade cost?
    A9. $289 plus MPVI2 Pro Feature Set $249

Q10. How do I upgrade my MPVI Standard or Pro to the MPVI2?
    A10. The upgrade process (once MPVI2 begins shipping) consists of these main steps:
    • Login to your HP Tuners website account (create a new acount and add your existing interface to your account if you have not done so already)
    • Select the MPVI Pro or Standard interface you want to upgrade
    • Order the upgrade
    • You will receive an email with detailed instructions on how to return your existing MPVI and receive your new MPVI2

One thing to STRONGLY consider if you decide to purchase outright rather than upgrading is your tunerlock status. If you tunerlock vehicles on your MPVI1 we STRONGLY recommend that if you purchase an MPVI2 outright to use in parallel with your MPVI1 that you contact support requesting to have the tunerlock on both interfaces the same. This way if/when you combine your interfaces you won't have any issues read/flashing vehicles you've previously tunerlocked.
    Last edited by Bill@HPTuners; 04-06-2022 at 08:48 AM.
    I count sheep in hex...