Thread: Timing is really advanced and still no knock?

Potential Tuner

Timing is really advanced and still no knock?

Ive been tuning the ignition timing on my mafless cammed Ls1 ute, standard heads, throttle body and intake, ive managed to get the car running quite nicely and pulls well with good AFR readings,
    my concern is if my knock sensors are functioning correctly or even at all,

ive tested to see if the ecu can detect knock when hitting the side of the engine with a hammer but its knock strategy is per cylinder so im unsure if its smart enough to know when its detonating or not. ON 98 octance at WOT im getting 25-26 degrees of advance and roughly high 11s mid 12s AFR which seems acceptable but since tuning the car ive never logged any knock,

my question is in your guys experience with mild cams in the LS1's how far have you been able to push with ignition timing before youve encountered knock, i dont really want to advance the crap out of the timing as a test to make it detonate and see if the knock sensors pick it up, ill attach my tune and log for those who are interested, also this is the first car ive tuned, timing addjusted downlow.hpttiming noq more advanfed dowqn low.hpl

Potential Tuner
    Im running 28 degrees on my ls1 with std heads and mild cam without knock

Your AFR can be leaned out a bit, try going to 13:1

Potential Tuner
    You need to add Knock Retard to the channels list in order for the graph to show any Knock Retard.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    26 is a pretty good ls ignition value. these heads are fast burn and dont need that old school 32-35* ignition the the sbc gen 1's used to take. i tend to max mine at 26* with no kr registered unless i have a dyno to prove there was a gain at anything higher than that.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman