Thread: VSS settings - LS3 with TR-6060 manual trans and E38 ecm (DTC: P0502)

Potential Tuner

VSS settings - LS3 with TR-6060 manual trans and E38 ecm (DTC: P0502)

Still getting P0502: Vehicle Speed Sensor A Circuit Low (Permanent) since my tune and I just can't figure this darn thing out! I'm trying to learn all of this tuning stuff My vehicle logs are not showing any vehicle speed. My VSS is connected properly, pins in the ECM connector are double checked and in correct position. (I wasn't having any of these issues before my dyno tune. Blah!)

Anyone available to help with looking over my settings under the "Speedometer" tab? I read a lot about other people's VSS questions/issues, and look at other tunes, but it seems like a majority of those similar concerns relate to the T56 trans and not my TR-6060 (I can't find any literature that tells if settings will be the same for these two transmissions)

Vehicle: '68 Camaro with LS3, TR-6060, and E38 ecm all out of a 2013 Camaro SS
    Rear tires: 335/30R18 --- 798 revolutions/mile --- 26.06" diameter (should be 81.87" circumference from what I'm finding?)
    Rear gear ratio: 3.70

I went off beshyster's recommendation of taking my 3.70 gear ratio divided by 3.33 (40 divided by 12) to get 1.11 corrected gear ratio and have that plugged into my settings.

Hardware
    Speed Output Type -- should I have this set to "WheelSpd", "VehSerial", or VehRep TOS" ?
    VSS Pulses Per Rev -- is 40.000 correct?
    Driven Pulse/Rev -- is 12.0 correct?
    Non-Driven Pulse/Rev -- is 12.0 correct?

Vehicle Speed Sensor
    Vehicle Speed Output -- should I have this set to "Disabled", Rep TOS", or "Serial" ?
    Pulse Average -- is 15 correct?
    Max Period -- is 20 correct?
    Serial Min Freq -- is 1Hz correct?

Gear Ratio & Tire Size
    Driven Tire Circ. -- 81.87" but HPTuners rounded down to 81.850 in.
    Non-Driven Tire Circ. -- 81.87" but HPTuners rounded down to 81.850 in.

Final Drive
    Ratio -- 1.10:1
    Ratio - Error -- 1.10:1

Sensor Calibration
    VSS Tire Revs per Dist -- 797.98
    VSS Tire Revs per Dist - Err -- 798.01 (HP Tuners wouldn't let me put 797.98?)

Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by snichols28; 05-22-2018 at 05:48 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Ever have any luck with this? Looks like you for no replies

Potential Tuner
    Yah, got it dialed in after I fixed a wiring issue from the place that made the wire harness. It drove me crazy for a long time. All better now!

Quote Originally Posted by brawls43 View Post
    Ever have any luck with this? Looks like you for no replies

Tuner in Training
    How did you wire or fix the wiring? I've got a similar issue, but with a Camaro LS3 and a T-56. The TR6060 has a VSS sensor too right? Did you wire straight to pins 71-72?

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by brawls43 View Post
    How did you wire or fix the wiring? I've got a similar issue, but with a Camaro LS3 and a T-56. The TR6060 has a VSS sensor too right? Did you wire straight to pins 71-72?
    The TR6060 transmission of mine has a VSS and a fluid temp sensor ...and both of those plugs are the exact same. The guy that made the harness for me accidentally labeled the two plugs backwards so they were plugged in backwards accidentally after I had the wire harness apart looking for the issue. Got them plugged into the correct sensors and it got me back on track. I did trace and double check wires at the time and the 71-72 pins do sound correct (I don't have any of the wiring diagrams in front of me so I can't be 100% sure of those pins but they sound correct)

Tuner in Training
    Did you end up using the settings you mentioned in your first post? I can't find the post you reference from beshyster on how to do the calcs.

Thanks

Tuner in Training
    So our's was the plugs also. Ugh. Thanks for the pointer. Having previously updated the tire size, everything worked correctly. Boom, thanks!

Potential Tuner

Vss pig tail

Quote Originally Posted by snichols28 View Post
    The TR6060 transmission of mine has a VSS and a fluid temp sensor ...and both of those plugs are the exact same. The guy that made the harness for me accidentally labeled the two plugs backwards so they were plugged in backwards accidentally after I had the wire harness apart looking for the issue. Got them plugged into the correct sensors and it got me back on track. I did trace and double check wires at the time and the 71-72 pins do sound correct (I don't have any of the wiring diagrams in front of me so I can't be 100% sure of those pins but they sound correct)
    I?m trying to figure out if the wires from the ecu 71 and 72 have a certain orientation in the plug end into the vss

Advanced Tuner
    Circuit low fault codes, are generally caused by high resistance in that circuit. If you or anyone prior, were using a paperclip shoved in connectors to check wiring, you likely spread the female pins. Or you have a pinched/smashed wire somewhere.